MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Best OEM Exhaust (ZR 'clubsport' build)

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BillyJohnLee 
#1 ·
Hey Guys.

I have a late pre-facelift ZR 105, that is about as POV spec as a ZR can get (manual windows, no sunroof, only drivers airbag, no fogs etc) that I'm planning to build into a 'Clubsport' type build basically as Motorsport as you can get using Predominantly OEM parts. i want a fun, light, revvy, AFFORDABLE roadcar that can also venture on track, i love a bit of my local cadwell park.

it will be done over time, mostly when the parts need replacing anyway.

plans
stay 1.4
exterior - mostly untouched, maybe fix my bubbling arches
wheels - i don't like the way the straights handle, so will be going to 16s, maybe hairpins, maybe another OEM motorsport style wheel, clio speed lines? mx5 enkeis?
Brakes - vented 262s with proper discs and pads (i know most will say go 282s, but I'm sure well specced 262s should cope in a lighter 1.4)
suspension - power springs? might have to go aftermarket here
Interior - tf wheel, matrix front seats, quick shift? and rear seat delete using Express rear carpet panels.
Engine - zr160 airbox and snorkel, smooth inlet pipe, 52mm 135/vvc inlet (i know ports don't match, but MG rover used this on the 135 with the same head casting. ill see at the time.) 135 cams. (REMAP)

EXHAUST - this is the first thing as my current one has a poorly fitting sleeve flexi. i will for now be keeping my 105 centre and back box, but are considering a few options for the front..

1. 4 bolt manifold, 200 bubble 1.6 down pipe, 200 bubble 1.4/1.6 cat, 105 centre and back
2. 6 bolt manifold, 160 down pipe with cat, link pipe. will a 200 cat (and therefore decat) fit here?, 105 centre and back.

a few questions, are all 4bolt or 6bolt manifolds the same across the freelander/200/mgf/mgtf etc. what is the best centre and back? 160?

any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated (not just on the exhaust)

Cheers guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
No, there are a few different manifolds according to the application. The tubular manifolds for the Rover 25 and MG ZR 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 non-VVC engines are all the same 4-1 manifold with a two bolt oval flange to the downpipe, but the VVC engined 160 has 4-2 manifold and a three bolt flange (and no manifold cat). I think the 45/ZS uses the same manifolds as the 25/ZR.

The manifolds for the 75/ZT and F/TF are completely different, and I expect the ones for the Freelander may be too. .

......and rear seat delete using Express rear carpet panels.....
Good luck finding a set of them ;)

#4 ·
The tubular manifolds for the Rover 25 and MG ZR 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 non-VVC engines are all the same 4-1 manifold with a two bolt oval flange to the downpipe, but the VVC engined 160 has 4-2 manifold and a three bolt flange (and no manifold cat)
Thank you, that is why i have already discounted the 25/zr manifolds. and why i am looking at older 200 4-2-1 ones.

do all 160 downpipes have 3 bolt flanges? as most i have seen along with all centre sections have 2 bolt flanges (example below is on dimmers, genuine zr vvc centre.)

The manifolds for the 75/ZT and F/TF are completely different, and I expect the ones for the Freelander may be too. .
are you sure, below is a MGTF vvc Manifold.. (currently on ebay)

and a zr 160, also on ebay..

i guess it is possible the sellers have got mixed up, but off you search vvc manifold, they do all look the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.