Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Fitted them yet?

gnu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 28-01-2017, 18:45 Thread Starter

Not yet. I dropped my head off to have new guides fitted a week or so ago. Unfortunately for me the bloke who does the machine work has been ill and only returned to work yesterday, so he has a bit of work built up until he gets to mine. It's not the end of the world, just annoying, but I'm not in a rush for it and I had work done by him before so I'm happy to wait.
As for the valves I ended up getting the machine shop to supply me their own valves. They are a little more expensive but they can guarantee the quality and give warranty on them so a bit of piece of mind.
That said I am still going to buy the headset and belts from dmgrs, just not the valves. I will keep everyone updated as this goes on...
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 14:43 Thread Starter

Well I finally had a call from the machine shop today, my head is ready for collection ?.
I went online to dgmrs and ordered myself a headset and cambelt kit along with a new set of head bolts. Although my bolts are within spec I don't know the history of them so I thought I'd order new ones to be on the safe side.
The machine shop seated all my valves and built them up for free as a sorry for the delay. All I have to do now it fit the cams, take apart and clean the vvc gears and fit new gaskets and then I'm ready to go.
Just waiting on a delivery from dgmrs and then I can start getting it back together.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 17:36 Thread Starter

Well I picked up my head today and it's looking good. Brand new valves, guides, seals and a skim as well as a good clean. Looks brand new, well I guess it basically is now...
Now I just have to wait for the vvc unit gaskets, then I can refit the cam carrier and fit the covers and belts and time it all up.
Hopefully I can have it running again by the weekend. Just waiting for a package from dmgrs...
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:12

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
That sounds good - hope it all goes back together smoothly
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 15:25 Thread Starter

Thanks, me too. .

Well I got a package today when I got in with my vvc gaskets, so tomorrow I can fit the new gaskets, time it up and seal the cam carrier and bolt it all together, then once the timing belts arrive I can get the engine back together.

Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere now ?
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 18:39 Thread Starter

Well I built up my head this evening and now it's all ready to bolt back together. Changed the vvc gaskets, stripped and cleaned the vvc units and bolted them back together, fitted new camshaft seals, refitted all the followers, sealed the cam housing to the head, timed up the rear camshafts, fitted the belt, loctited the rear pulleys and torqued, fitted the covers, fitted the front cover, fitted the front pulleys. Torqued and fitted timing key. Checked rear timing again and it's all good.
Now if the weather is nice for me the weekend I'll stick it back on the van and see what happens...
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 16:06 Thread Starter

Well it's alive. Laying down in the mud and snow wasn't fun but it's all back together now.
Ticks over nice, no leaks, a little bit smokey from the exhaust but that's to be expected after sitting for a month.
Took it for a spin up the road and it performed ok, now just need to get an mot on it and hopefully it's back to work.
I'm glad that's done and over with, I'm getting too old to be crawling in the snow fixing cars lol.
ironeagleuk likes this.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:32
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good job

I've found engines are often smokey/ steamy after a rebuild. Should soon clear. Hope it keeps going ok.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:19

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Well done, it is always very satisfying when you eventuallt succeed. Hope you have a long enjoyable time with it from now on
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 18:42 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I'm just glad it's done. I finished work, went and got the van, put some petrol in and took it up to the test station.
The drive there was a bit worrying, smoke from under the bonnet and some strange smells but once all the oil and stuff burned off the exhaust it cleared.
Dropped it off and waited.
Got a nearly clean pass. Only advisory was corrosion on rear disks but as its been sitting in a garden for the last month I guess that can be forgiven.
Overall I'm very happy.
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 14-02-2017, 17:40 Thread Starter

Put it back to work today. It was so nice to be able to use my van again rather than struggle using the family car.
Anyway it started up on the button and didn't miss a beat. Temperature stayed just below the half way mark where I like it, heaters were spot on and there were no strange noises.
So far so good ?

Only thing I did notice when I was doing the timing belt was the top engine tie rod was worn, and as I was driving I noticed the engine rocking a bit on gear changes which I never noticed before. Maybe because I was concentrating on the engine for once lol. Anyway another one has been ordered and hopefully it will sort out the movement while changing gears.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 15:43 Thread Starter

Well it's been a few days of driving about now and the engine has been faultless. Now I have another minor problem...
Got in the van this morning, put on the heater on no 1 and... nothing. No 's 2, 3 and 4 work fine, just no 1 stopped. First thought was the resistor pack but I thought both 1 and 2 speeds would stop working if that was faulty?
If anyone has any ideas let me know otherwise it looks like I'll be digging out the test light this weekend...
Cheers all
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 15:49

Car: R75 Mk2 1.8t, Mazda6 (Gen 2) TS2- 2.2TD
It will be the resistor pack, each speed works off its own wire coil (like a resistor). Its hidden behind the glove box. Theres a guide somewhere in the 'how to' section.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 19:17 Thread Starter

Nice one, I thought it might have been cut thanks for the confirmation, I'll order a new resistor pack.
Cheers again
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-02-2017, 15:25 Thread Starter

My luck never seems to get better... came out Sat morning and some undesirable scum has keyed the OR quarter of the van...
Not the end of the world as the van has scratches and digs all round it anyway, just annoys me that some *****s get pleasure out of it. That's what happens when you have to park on the road I guess...
Anyway my engine top tie bar came today so at some point I can fit that and hopefully it'll stop the engine rocking when I change gear.
I have ordered the heater resistor so hopefully that will be here tomorrow.
Car is still running sweet, not lost a drop of oil or coolant, so I can't fault any of the parts from dgmrs. Only thing I did notice is I have a slight blow from the exhaust manifold but I'm gonna replace the studs as I think where they are rusty they bottomed out instead of tightening up fully, but I will do that when I change the top mount.
There is always something to do...
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 04:10 Thread Starter

Well I picked up my heater resistor pack from the post office on Sat so now I am slowly collecting a small pile of bits to fit. I decided this week to change the exhaust manifold gasket because the small blow is annoying me. While I am there I will change both the auxiliary belts. I was gonna change them when I rebuilt the top end as I expected them to be in the kit but they wasn't, seems silly really...
So once the belts and gaskets come I have the heater resistor, aux belts, exhaust gasket and top engine steady to renew...
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 08:01

Car: R75 Mk2 1.8t, Mazda6 (Gen 2) TS2- 2.2TD
Theres only one auxiliary belt. Three in total, main timing belt, injection timing belt and the auxiliary. If you are doing the belts when sorting the head out, just wait and do it all then, they will all have to come off anyway.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 16:33 Thread Starter

Well it's been a good few weeks now since the van has been back to work, and so far so good. I changed the heater resistor pack so I now have speed 1 working again, a little thing but it does make a difference.
I also changed the top engine steady so no rocking now when I change gear.
I still haven't got round to changing the exhaust manifold gasket or the aux belts so if I get the chance I'll do it this weekend.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 17:47 Thread Starter

While driving today I had the window open, I noticed the ticking noise from the engine seems to be getting worse. I'm pretty sure it's the exhaust manifold blowing but I'm gonna check the plugs are tight as its only happening when I'm driving under load. I have the manifold gasket to change and I'm sure it's not the tappets cos it's not constant, only under acceleration.
I just can't help wondering if one of the tappets is starting to fail after its abuse from the snapped belt and valve damage.