Crank shaft sensor ? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 19:50 Thread Starter

Car: Classic Rover
Crank shaft sensor ?

Were is the crank shaft sensor and what size is the bolt to undo it ?? was told its white and under the inlet. Any pics of were it is ??

Here is my problem
Need some help this morning my car wouldn't start the battery was flat nothing on the key at all. I was driving it around 20 miles and car was fine i filled up with petrol and car was still fine for around 5 to 6 miles now the car keeps stalling i drive at 30mph the car just stalls and stops. I then try to start it and it turns over but nothing I then put it in first and turn the key with the clutch down and the car moves forwards and jumps and starts for 5 mins then stalls again. My input shaft has been going its has a clutch / realse bearing etc ive put code reader onit with no codes showing. I have started it and let it run standing still now has got me 10 miles with no problems. When the car stalls and cuts out the fuel pump doesnt prime and you try and turn it over but doesnt catch . u wait a while and it will turn over and go with out the fuel pump priming noise. I am use to the noise every time i turn the key but that noise has gone but still starts some times... I am thinking its water in the fuel ? or somthing todo with the fuel? Input shaft going would still let me car start out of gear ?

I believe now its the crank sensor because it just stalls at what ever speed

Last edited by nick1200; 18-05-2017 at 21:25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 21:57

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
you say that you cant hear the fuel pump priming sometimes when you first turn the key so either fuel pump is going or maybe the fuel filter could be blocked .
also will add the fuel pump will usually only prime after the car has been stood a while some times due the pressure in the pipes still.

also depending on the year your code reader maynot read it if its pre 04 i beleive , have you checked the ecu label to cofirm it is obd2 compliant? and not eobd .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 22:25 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
you say that you cant hear the fuel pump priming sometimes when you first turn the key so either fuel pump is going or maybe the fuel filter could be blocked .
also will add the fuel pump will usually only prime after the car has been stood a while some times due the pressure in the pipes still.

also depending on the year your code reader maynot read it if its pre 04 i beleive , have you checked the ecu label to cofirm it is obd2 compliant? and not eobd .
When i first try and start the car i can hear it but then i can travel 10 - 20 miles then it just stalls so if your doing 50 it will just stall and stop ( not coast ) of course this makes the person behind you go into you. I try and turn it over but there is no fuel pump noise but some how i can jump it from stand still ( yes crazy ) will try and expalin it stalls i then put it in 1st keep the key turned the engine is turning over but not catching but i can lift the clutch up and the car moves forward......
At first i thought it was the fuel because i was running it low and thought it sucked some crap from the tank or maybe the fuel was crap...
But then got told the crank senior will make the car just cut out i dont know where this is ? or the size of the bolt to undo it?
The car is a 04 but havnt checked the label

would the pump still prime if it was the crank senior?
It does start again after it stalls after i wait a while even with out the prime noise

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 22:39

If the car has only just stopped it would depend on the pressure in the pipes so thier is no yes no answer .
The sensor is on the rear of the engine and should be an 6 or 8 mm nut cant remember of hand ( some even have allen keys 4 or 5 mm ) , should be able to follow the wire that connects to it ,crank sensor

ignore the blue plug part as i beleive ours just go straight to the loom and clip on at the sensor itself. also be prepared for a fight , they dont usually come out easily , and before replacing another give the hole a little clean out and a smear of grease .

Last edited by Andy400; 18-05-2017 at 22:48.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 22:46 Thread Starter

just really dont want to stall at 60 on the motorway fuel filter hard to change? i was pretty low on fuel i know that much but still got me home after a while of bumping it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 22:49

where abouts are you some one close may be able to come help if your stuck to sort it out.
also just read it wont coast just stops , i would say their is more than just a sensor fault , you should be able to clutch down and coast , i think you would be probably better off getting your gear box sorted out as it sounds like it could be locking up and stalling the engine .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 23:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
where abouts are you some one close may be able to come help if your stuck to sort it out.
also just read it wont coast just stops , i would say their is more than just a sensor fault , you should be able to clutch down and coast , i think you would be probably better off getting your gear box sorted out as it sounds like it could be locking up and stalling the engine .
Yes it locks up but the problem is that it cuts out when its in gear meaning it will stall if it cut out out of gear then i suppose it would coast but every time its stalled or stopped in gear. To me it felt like there was water in the fuel i had a 306 before i filled it up and there was a fuel light which came on and only when i went to this 1 garage it would do it. I took it to a garage and was told there was water in the fuel and the light was telling me that,. But that was a diesel after it cuts out i can push the clutch down and it will roll but has i said the strange thing that ive never seen before is when it stalls i can hold the clutch down and press the throttle down a tad life the clutch up a bit and turn the car over it wont start but the car moves???? so same thing has jumping it i lift the clutch up slowly while im turning it over it wont start but car moves ?? Even when in reverse ??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 01:33

yeah the starter motor is moving the car when you lift your foot of the clutch with it in gear.