The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 10 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #181 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:17
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
So, what's your next upgrade?
I'm open to suggestions for my own 25.
Just a bit of cosmetic, you know that I'm very keen on cosmetics, probably because I'm very uncertain a mechanic!

I have thought to improve the look of my handbrake with that:

Wood Effect Handbrake Handle Sleeve Cover for MG / ROVER | eBay

But I can't find anywhere, even in that good RAVE manual, how to take off the current cover and I can't see any screw bolt or something like that.

Eventually the main part of the rear cover being a dull bit of plastic, I have thought to make a mix of the handle above and that leather cover below:

BLACK STITCH LEATHER GEAR & HANDBRAKE GAITER FITS ROVER 25&MG ZR 04-06 FACELIFT | eBay

I reckon it would be a nice enhancement to the indoor comfort of the eyes, am I wrong?

Any clue? Any reaction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 07:29
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
This sounds interesting.
I've found a picture of the offending item and it looks simple enough to fit. However, it looks like it'll be a faff to wire it in, as it'll mean mucking about with the headlining. That's something I'm not all that keen on.
The answer may be on our forum:

mgf interior mirror with lights into rover 25

And the HOW TO made by @Dave:

Fitting a MGF mirror to a R25/R200

Unfortunately pictures are no longer available.

And here some corrections for the nice owners of R200 (Hello @Roverlike! ):

Fitting a MGF mirror to a R25/R200

Last edited by Dorchester; 06-10-2016 at 07:47.
post #183 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 15:53
Supporter

But my main concern, as @Spudgun! said, is how to keep hidden those nasty wires out of view. It would be horrible to draw the wires from the mirror to the interior light.

Moreover I haven't found any wire at all in the driver's side 'A' pillar trim (that is on the right hand, the passenger's side for the continental cars). And on the left side, the pillar does have the same pattern than on the right side, but one can't open the fake cover.

Hence I think the only clean way is to follow the upper part of the windscreen and reach somewhere around the fuse box, to the interior light wires and splice it.

What do you reckon?

post #184 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 16:17
Supporter

How to remove / replace the hand brake handle

How to replace Handbrake Handle
post #185 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 16:23 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
My old 214Gsi had the ignition barrel illuminated. It was easier to insert the key when the day was dark or at night.

It must be very interesting to know for sure whether the 25 has the holder for the bulb as you told us @Spudgun!, so that we would have just to find the appropriate bulb to put in the socket (but how?).
I trawled Ebay for pictures of the offending item. Here's what found:

MG ZR / Rover 25 - Ignition Lock & Key Set - No Chip | eBay

The bulb holder is clearly there, while the illuminated ring is missing. As for a bulb. I reckon that it would use the same bulb and holder that illuminates the ring around the cigar lighter.
post #186 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 16:29
Supporter

Quote:
I trawled Ebay for pictures of the offending item. Here's what found:

MG ZR / Rover 25 - Ignition Lock & Key Set - No Chip | eBay

The bulb holder is clearly there, while the illuminated ring is missing. As for a bulb. I reckon that it would use the same bulb and holder that illuminates the ring around the cigar lighter.
Yes, it looks like, but how to gain access to that bulb? What is to be taken off?
post #187 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 16:32 Thread Starter

Quote:
Just a bit of cosmetic, you know that I'm very keen on cosmetics, probably because I'm very uncertain a mechanic!
I have changed a number of the parts for cosmetic reasons (The last one being the driver side sun visor), so I'm not adverse to improving the look of the 25. I have already changed the nasty PVC gear stick gaiter for a nice leather one (Genuine MG/Rover too) . I didn't know you could get a leather one for the hand brake lever. As for the wood effect handle. I'll pass on that. I think it looks tacky.
post #188 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 16:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, it looks like, but how to gain access to that bulb? What is to be taken off?
My guess: The steering column covers.
post #189 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 18:46
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
I've found a picture of the offending item and it looks simple enough to fit. However, it looks like it'll be a faff to wire it in, as it'll mean mucking about with the headlining. That's something I'm not all that keen on.
The feeds you need can be picked up from the A-pillar (or further down towards the dash) and the wires can be tucked above the headlining in front of the windscreen. It's not nice interfering with the headlining but this can be kept to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
I have R200 R3 (bubble), but I do not have illuminated ignition barrel. This feature had R400 and I am missing it. R600 I have, have it as standard fitment.
They were fitted to all UK market cars and I can't see that being any different for export markets. Could it be your car has received a new lock set from a later 25?

Quote:
Moreover I haven't found any wire at all in the driver's side 'A' pillar trim
Check again - the wires are there. The trim needs removing which takes an element of bravery as you need to yank it off quite firmly.
post #190 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 18:59
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Check again - the wires are there. The trim needs removing which takes an element of bravery as you need to yank it off quite firmly.
I'll check again tomorrow but, once the square cover kept off (right pillar on your driver side - for us passenger side -, between the front window & the back one), I'm pretty sure I've seen nothing at all but the bare metal in the background. Neither wires nor sockets.
What kind of wires could be put in that weird location?
I insist that my 25 is a 3 doors one, with no electric windows and no doors on the back row.
post #191 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 19:50 Thread Starter

According to Rimmer Bros. This is the location of the loom:

Rover 200/25/MG ZR Interior Light Harness at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
post #192 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 20:00
gots me a pair o' MGs

Garages
Quote:
I'll check again tomorrow but, once the square cover kept off (right pillar on your driver side - for us passenger side -, between the front window & the back one), I'm pretty sure I've seen nothing at all but the bare metal in the background. Neither wires nor sockets.
What kind of wires could be put in that weird location?
I insist that my 25 is a 3 doors one, with no electric windows and no doors on the back row.
The wiring will be the same for 3 or 5 door models. There will be purple and purple/red wires for the interior light supplies. Can't remember if wiring for the interior volumetric sensor or sunroof is present on all models or just those with the items fitted however.
post #193 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 20:07
Supporter

Quote:
According to Rimmer Bros. This is the location of the loom:

Rover 200/25/MG ZR Interior Light Harness at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
Thank you @Spudgun!. Here is a sensible and helpful information, but I'm wondering now which side it goes to in our continental cars. I would guess it goes to the driver's side, that is, for us, on the left, because it's on the left that our fuse box is located, when it is obviously the opposite in the UK.

But it seems obvious as well on the Rimmer Bros drawing that the wiring doesn't go through the pillar, but follows the roof till it reaches the windscreen then going down to the fuse box.

We must have a close look, knowing the colour of those wires, as we are told in the How To.

Anyway, I've ordered a MG TF mirror, and I think I shall have to follow the upper part of the windscreen, going down on the driver side till the wires reach the fuse box area.

In order to hide the wires as much as possible, a small matt black cable with both the wires, stuck to the screen rubber, would be the best option.

Last edited by Dorchester; 06-10-2016 at 20:14.
post #194 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 22:45

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
But it seems obvious as well on the Rimmer Bros drawing that the wiring doesn't go through the pillar, but follows the roof till it reaches the windscreen then going down to the fuse box.
I think perhaps you are getting confused between the 'A' pillar (the pillar between the windscreen and the front door) and the 'B' pillar (between front and rear doors; or front door and rear quarter on three door cars). The wiring to the interior light is definitely within the 'A' pillar, but whether it runs down the right hand side of the windscreen or the left on LHD cars I don't know.

You may find the following helpful

NB - although it says x/6 and therefore it appears that the last page is missing from the above sequence, there are only five pages of instructions; page 6 is a blank page.
Spudgun! and Dorchester like this.
post #195 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 05:52
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Man in the Car posted fitting instructions of the map light rear mirror kit which are most useful to know where to look.

However you need to pay attention that LHD cars have wiring in the LEFT A pillar, opposite then in these instructions.

I made connection to interior mirror on the point of lamp itself for easy access in the future if needed, but at that time I had headlining out for reaparation, so I was doing two jobs at once. Wires are hidded behined front of the headlining to the windscreen.

Regarding heand brake grip you posted, you can save youreslf few quids and not buy it, as it is not good. I took one, and I am not satisfied. Just to mention it goes over existing handgrip, not removing it. It just glue over it with self adhesive tape.

If you want real wood handbrake grip you wil, have to go for landrover, proper one, ut they are for sale for over 50 quids.

For the ignition lock illuminatiln ring, no export Rover 200 R3 I ever seen with one, and believe me, I seen a lot of them.
Dorchester likes this.
post #196 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:49
Supporter

Thanks so much @Man in the Car: you were right, I was confused by the term 'pillar', which, in French, means something exclusively vertical.
But why that so long wiring along the windscreen? Why not join that very close ceiling lamp in those drawings? In the reality, in our 25, the ceiling lamp is not so close. But I see instead a very close bulge. But I do not want to make a mess with the headlining. So I'll keep my idea in the first place: a small matt black cable with both the wires, stuck to the screen rubber, would be the best option. Especially as I've ordered a sunstrip:

Pre Cut Window Tint Sunstrip for Rover 25 3 Doors Hatchback 1999-2006 Any Shade | eBay

Regarding hand brake grip, @Roverlike, too late: I've ordered it. I'll see. If no good, I'll get rid of it. It's not the end of the world. Are you sure yours was exactly the same? Reading the How To, I had understood that it should be put in place of the original plastic one. I understand why @Spudgun! thought it was 'tacky'... Nevertheless, nearly all the evaluations on Ebay for this seller and this item were very good...

Last edited by Dorchester; 07-10-2016 at 07:47.
post #197 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 16:49 Thread Starter

Well. I'm so impressed by that installation guide, that I've taken the plunge and bought an illuminated rear view mirror!

Now. Since the mirror has three wires. Would I be correct in saying that the lights will have an auto dim function like the courtesy light? If so. There should be enough light to see the ignition lock and render the illuminated ring around the ignition lock obsolete.
post #198 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 17:11
Supporter

Quote:
Well. I'm so impressed by that installation guide, that I've taken the plunge and bought an illuminated rear view mirror!
Now. Since the mirror has three wires. Would I be correct in saying that the lights will have an auto dim function like the courtesy light? If so. There should be enough light to see the ignition lock and render the illuminated ring around the ignition lock obsolete.
And so did I, I've ordered it yesterday evening!
I'm glad to say that I have found those purple & red/purple wires just going to the passenger fuse box.
Only difficulty: those wires are very tightly fitted and it will be tricky to splice them.

But I'm not to make a mess with the light grey head liner. I think I'm not at all able to take it off and back again. It would be awful. So I am resolute to stick a light grey wiring (with the 3 wires inside) along the upper part of the windscreen, passing along the dash side (left wing for my continental car) where it will be painted in black, then to the spliced wires close to the passenger fuse box, to keep both functions of the lights (automatic lighting when opening the doors, and on request with both switches under the mirror).

Yes, I think too I shall abandon the ignition light because I can't find it anywhere in both manuals I have (unless I have missed it) nor on the web. It remains a mystery...
post #199 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 18:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I think too I shall abandon the ignition light because I can't find it anywhere in both manuals I have (unless I have missed it) nor on the web. It remains a mystery...
Well. Just to prove that the illuminated ring for the ignition lock did exist for the Rover 25. Here's the listing from Rimmer Bros (It's part No5).

Rover 200/25/MG ZR Steering Lock at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
Dorchester likes this.
post #200 of 420 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 18:12
gots me a pair o' MGs

Garages
Quote:
The three wires to the mirror ensure it behaves like the standard interior light whereby it's activated when you unlock the car/open a door as a courtesy light or can be manually activated via a switch.

One wire is a permanent 12v feed, the second the return to the MFU/BCU and the third is the earth. The MFU activates the lights by closing the circuit to earth, illuminating the bulbs.

Another option is to install a map light roof console from the Freelander/R800 in the bulge in the headlining where the sunroof motor goes. I did this of my old R200 and it was a worthwhile modification, but to be honest, the MGF mirror option is less faff.