56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 437 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 18:37
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
It is easier if you see pictures and you have them in these two threads:

1. Replaced Rear Washer Piping

2. Rear wash/wipe problem

I think these two threads cover subject well. If not ask?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 437 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 19:26 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Thanks for the links. Pictures tell a 1000 words. I've pretty much got the repair covered now. The remaining pipe may be old, but it's in good order. Only the piece that goes through the rubber thingy needs to be renewed (Easy job). The upshot being. It'll be easy to replace if it breaks again.

I've a number of repairs in hand. Fingers crossed, most will be done by the end of the weekend. Then I'll have to concentrate on the remaining servicing. Remaining issues include: Non functioning air conditioning. Coolant change. Brake shoes and pad changes.

For the next MOT, it'll need a new exhaust pipe (I found some repair gum on the middle box). I'll get the cat tested when it goes for an air con recharge. It only just passed it's last MOT and it's still the original (The one on my old Rover 400 lasted 90000 miles before it was changed and the 25 has done 94000).
post #23 of 437 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 21:27

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
I ran a 1996 216Si bought at 9 months old to over 108000 miles and a 2003 ZR 120 bought at 15 months old to 101000 miles - both still had their original catalytic converters, and they weren't showing any sign of failing

post #24 of 437 (permalink) Old 13-05-2016, 19:10 Thread Starter

Well. I've fixed a couple of faults and I've acquired another.

All of my washers work fine now. Xsara washer jets were fitted to the front and a new piece of pipe was spliced into the rear. The broken bulb behind the heater controls has been replaced. The hideous wood effect panel has also been replaced with a panel from an earlier model. It looks more like my old 400 now.

The fault I've acquired is: The dashboard warning lamp tells me that the boot is open! It's quite firmly shut. There has to be a switch somewhere, but I've no idea where. Does anyone know?
post #25 of 437 (permalink) Old 13-05-2016, 20:49
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
The fault I've acquired is: The dashboard warning lamp tells me that the boot is open! It's quite firmly shut. There has to be a switch somewhere, but I've no idea where. Does anyone know?
That means light in the booth also glows. Switch is in the latch mechanism, and here is excellent how to fix it: "How To" Adjust the boot light within the latch mechanism on 200/25/ZR/SW
post #26 of 437 (permalink) Old 13-05-2016, 21:03 Thread Starter

The light in the boot operates correctly. I did check that guide and that's how I know. So that eliminates the actual switch on the latch. It's good to know that the latch switch operates both the boot light and the dash light.

By my reckoning, there's a snapped wire around the rubber tube on the right hand side of the tailgate. This snapped wire (Purple/red) is grounding out on the body.

Ah well. Another fix for tomorrow.
post #27 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 08:46 Thread Starter

Well. The light is now fixed. It was a bit of a sod to find the fault.

The first thing I did was to remove the rear parcel shelf, so I could see the operation of the boot light. When the tailgate was up and the latch closed with a screwdriver, the boot light went out (as did the warning lamp on the dashboard). I pushed the lock button (so the light came on) and closed the tailgate. The boot light stayed on. Then I closed the latch and moved the tailgate up and down. Light goes off. Light comes on. Light goes off (You get the picture).

After pulling down the rubber tube thingy that connects the tailgate to the body, I find that some of the wires were scuffed. There had also been a previous repair (Not badly done though). With the damage fixed, I tried again. Good, but not perfect. The boot light went out 8 times out of 10. I did use the guide on this Forum to check out the latch switch. With a little bending and some cleaning, the switch works perfect! That's another job done!

Fitting a new exhaust manifold heat shield is going to be a swine. The Forum guide says it's a quick and easy job. One small thing though. The Rover used in the guide doesn't have air conditioning. I do. I've got this pipe that runs between the exhaust manifold and the radiator. This is going to be interesting......
post #28 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 15:59 Thread Starter

Well, the heatshield is on. It wasn't easy, but it's done.

Unlike the guide: MG Rover Service Guides: Exhaust Manifold Heatshield - Removal and Refitting my Rover has air-con. The spacer that the guide refers too is where the alternator sits. Fitting the heatshield would require the removal of the radiator, in order to maneuver the left hand end behind the alternator. I certainly wasn't doing that. The only solution was to remove the shield left of the bracket. Once done, I could jiggle the heatshield into place. Still needed to be a contortionist to get the bottom bolt into place though.

The list of things to fix is getting smaller. I'm waiting for the CD Changer lead to arrive, so I can button up the head unit (I gave the removal tool to my friend, so it's in loosely). Another bulb is needed for the facia switches. Once that's done, I can move onto getting the coolant and air-con sorted. The 25 still won't be finished though. I've no idea what the state the brakes are, so I'll be changing the shoes and pads to be on the safe side. I'm pretty sure that the centre section of the exhaust is shot, so that'll have to be changed. Then it's a case of a good clean!
post #29 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 18:46
Rover Lifestyle

Do you have few pictures of heatshield in place for others to know what they are up to?
post #30 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 19:34 Thread Starter

Certainly.

As you can see. It's a tight squeeze. You can't really see the piece that I had to cut off as it goes behind the alternator mounting bracket.
post #31 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-05-2016, 19:40
Rover Lifestyle

Thanks! Helpful shot.
post #32 of 437 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 18:23 Thread Starter

Three more jobs were crossed off the list today. I took up the Rover to my local Autocare centre (as it's just around the corner from where I work). The air-con has had a complete service and is now working fine. The coolant (It was nothing but water) has been replaced with long life anti freeze. The dodgy exhaust centre section has been replaced. The car no longer sounds like a tank on start up.

Yesterday, I started looking at the arduous task of cleaning the interior. The inside if the Rover is filthy! The 2nd owner must've lived somewhere very muddy. The spare wheel was absolutely caked with mud. I've got most of it off and out of the spare wheel well, but a bucket of soapy water and a brush will be needed to get rid of the rest. The inside of the cabin does have a brownish hue to it. It was noticeable when I gave the glovebox a scrub. The glovebox is now a light grey again. The rest of the dashboard is a darker shade. There's mud present! Cleaning the upholstery is going to be a pain. Not looking forward to doing that.

The only other jobs that will need doing are the brakes and the spark plugs. I'm almost there folks!
post #33 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 06:19

Car: MG ZR+ 120 Mk1 (53) & Rover 25 GLi Mk2 (06).
I don't envy you having to clean an interior like that!

Good luck with it and post some pics!
post #34 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 16:18 Thread Starter

I'm already mentally prepared for the task in hand. I will be taking some pics when the job is done. The only ones I have at the moment are the ones when I bought the Rover. The car looks better than it really is. Judge for yourself.

What you can't see is the hole in the passenger side indicator (Now replaced). Only just visible are the marks on the bonnet, where the paint went a bit funny when the engine over heated and took out the head gasket (Now replaced). Still. Not bad for the 320 I gave for it.
post #35 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 16:31
Rover Lifestyle

Well, you have beautiful car!
post #36 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 18:14

It looks like a bargain of a car!
post #37 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 19:34 Thread Starter

Here's the remaining pictures of the 25 when I bought it.

post #38 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 19:39
Rover Lifestyle

post #39 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Nice!
+1
post #40 of 437 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 20:55

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
That actually looks to be in very tidy condition for a 320 'banger'. Once back in full working order, fully cleaned and polished up it will be a very good car I think.