The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 20 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #381 of 420 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 13:26
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Definetly, you should start Jag thread here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 420 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 16:57 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
Hmmmm. I could start a thread for the Jag, but how well would it go down on an MG-Rover Forum? It would have to go the Other Manufacturers Models section.
post #383 of 420 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 17:07
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Why not....

post #384 of 420 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 08:07 Thread Starter

post #385 of 420 (permalink) Old 19-02-2017, 13:28 Thread Starter

It's been raining today, so I couldn't do much. So here's a picture of the Rover and the Jag together.

If you look closely near the bottom of the drivers door and at the panel at the back of the passenger door of the Rover. You'll see two patches of grey primer. These are the areas where the paint had bubbled. The bubbled paint had been removed and the metal treated with Kurerust. I painted the areas with high build primer yesterday. It was my intention to flatten the primer before painting with Solar Red. Sadly (Due to the weather), I won't be able to do this until next weekend.
post #386 of 420 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 20:23

Car: 216GTi DOHC (1993)
A long time ago I had a Rover 216 which I loved (GTi).. that cost me very little and was a pleasure. I recently acquired a 67K milage X reg 25 in Gold (it'll do) in pretty condition, with 8 months MOT, 2/3 of a tank of fuel for 80!

BARGAIN! I don't have the code for the stereo and the one on the manual doesn't work but oh well...

I shall be reading this thread over the coming weeks and months and be back on this forum (which helped me no end with the ignition problem on the 216)
post #387 of 420 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 21:19 Thread Starter

If there's anything useful in this thread, then you're welcome to make use of it.

I bought the 25 about 10 months ago. It cost me just under 320 and the tank was almost empty. It had also done over 90,000 miles.

There are bargains to be had out there. I feel that I gave a fair price for the 25, even though it was in a dilapidated state. Although I've given the Rover a lot of TLC, it isn't worth a hell of a lot more. This is one car where I'm going to lose money. I'm not bothered though.
post #388 of 420 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 13:34

Car: 216GTi DOHC (1993)
These are fun cars to drive She's growing on me but more importantly, despite her costing me so little, I am prepared to make the time and effort with her more! The irony.

So today I had some spare time so I fixed the "boot slam to close" problem :P Next to clear the crud from underneath the spare wheel and give her a good clean on the inside (she's not too bad!)

thanks for this thread
post #389 of 420 (permalink) Old 22-02-2017, 16:09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko3k View Post
Thanks for this thread
No problem. You do realise that it's coming to an end? Moving swiftly along (Like a herd of Wildebeests wandering across the Serengeti).

When lifted out my spare wheel, to clean the wheel well. I had some water in there. My first thought that the seal around the tailgate was leaking. It turned out that the rear washer pipe was split and some fluid was dripping into the spare wheel well.

You might want to check the operation of your rear washer before finishing cleaning the boot area.
post #390 of 420 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 08:14
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good one - my R200 rear washer is still awaiting a 'proper repair' as the temp one I did last year (connector on broken pipe) is still going strong...
post #391 of 420 (permalink) Old 24-02-2017, 16:18 Thread Starter

I've actually got two connectors on my rear washer pipe. They sit either side of the rubber conduit that connects the body to the tailgate. The idea being: If the pipe breaks (or splits, etc) I can remove the damaged section and slot in a new one.
post #392 of 420 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 15:54 Thread Starter

Dear God.

Please can we have some decent weather? I've got a Rover 25 that I have to prepare for sale. I can't do it while it's raining. We've have a shed load of rain over the past few weeks. I'd say that we've had more than our fair share. You do know that there are some places on this Planet that hasn't seen rain for years? Don't you think that they ought to get some?

There are times that I think it keeps raining here is because we voted for Brexit. What's the EU to you? The weather is hardly a commodity that you can buy or sell is it? On the other hand. Is it because I've lavished a lot of TLC on the Rover and you don't want me to sell it? Somehow, I don't think that's the case. You would've prevented me from buying the Jag, wouldn't you?

So stop being a jerk and take the rain elsewhere.

Lot of love. Spudgun.
post #393 of 420 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 16:53

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
.............There are times that I think it keeps raining here is because we voted for Brexit. ..............
...or perhaps he's doing it because some people keep trying to thwart the process
post #394 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 16:24 Thread Starter

At long last. The weather is improving. I actually have next week off and the outlook is for dry and possibly sunny weather. I'll be spending a chunk of time prepping the 25 for sale.

A majority of the work is purely cosmetic. A good clean (inside and out) and touching up some of the paintwork. Then it'll be taking the photographs for the Ebay listing. I've already written the text.

As a side note: I've trawled through many an Ebay listing for cars. It's surprising that a fair number of cars aren't prepared well. There's junk inside the cabin and the carpets hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner for ages. What's the matter with some people?
post #395 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 16:43
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
At long last. The weather is improving. I actually have next week off and the outlook is for dry and possibly sunny weather. I'll be spending a chunk of time prepping the 25 for sale.

A majority of the work is purely cosmetic. A good clean (inside and out) and touching up some of the paintwork. Then it'll be taking the photographs for the Ebay listing. I've already written the text.

As a side note: I've trawled through many an Ebay listing for cars. It's surprising that a fair number of cars aren't prepared well. There's junk inside the cabin and the carpets hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner for ages. What's the matter with some people?
Lazy or careless people selling probably tired & overlooked cars... to say the least!

Tell us at once when your car is on sale on Ebay. I'm sure it will sell quickly & I hope going to a good home with an attentive & loving owner.
post #396 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 19:16 Thread Starter

I mentioned right at the beginning of this thread, that some people sell their cars because of an accumulation of little faults that the owner can't be bothered to fix. However. That shouldn't excuse them from clearing out the rubbish from the cabin area, or taking a vacuum cleaner to the seats and carpets. As I said at the time; Some people shouldn't have cars.

In truth, I'm not expecting to get a lot for the Rover. They don't exactly have any 'street cred'. Of the Rovers out there. It seems that only the Rover 75 is sought after. That's life I suppose.

Rest assured. I will let everyone know when the 25 gets listed on Ebay. It would be nice to think that it would get bought by somebody who'd care for it. They might even join this Forum and announce: I've bought a Rover 25 and there's nothing wrong with it! What's amiss? Somehow, I don't think so. It'll probably get bought by some idiot, who'd rip out the original radio-cassette and fit a cheapo CD player so they can have some 'banging tunes' and promptly blow the speakers (even though I ripped out the cheapo CD player and fitted the original radio-cassette when I bought the Rover, because of the blown speakers which I had to replace). To them, a CD auto changer in the boot is 'sooooo last week' and the way to go is to have 40,000 tracks of screeching, tuneless drivel on a USB stick. The only cleaning that the car will get would be the removal of the 'stiffy stains' on the rear seat. The inflatable doll would be kept in the boot. Yeah. I can't see the new owner wrapping the car with TLC. I can seem them wrapping it around a tree.
post #397 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 20:16
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Don't be so pessimistic @Spudgun!

Apart from the wheel on our wrong side, you could make a fortune selling your car in France!
When I see the ridiculous money you pay for a 25 in the UK, I'm aghast! Here any day of the year you may sell it for no less than 1,200 and even more in good order with a reasonable amount of miles.

But you are quite right: unfortunately for the 25 owners, only the 75 matter and sell rather high, easily 2,500 or a lot more.

But I don't give up: maybe in 10 years or a tad more, if she is still nice and driven in this world, and myself too, maybe I shall see my 25 becoming a genuine vintage classic car, who knows? Is it forbidden to dream?
post #398 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 20:41

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean - the number of cars that I see listed that the seller couldn't even be bothered to give a quick wash externally before taking pics for the listing. Then they moan that nobody bids much for it

Last edited by Man in the Car; 09-03-2017 at 21:58.
post #399 of 420 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 21:05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
Don't be so pessimistic @Spudgun!
Hmmmm. Pessimists don't get bad news.

I bought the 25 for 317. Even though I've done a heap of work on it (As chronicled in this thread), I can't see it fetching any more than 450. If you look through the listings for Rover 25's on Ebay. They're just not selling. The ones that do, go for very low money. In all fairness. The majority of the ones that don't sell aren't advertised very well. Some people simply don't make an effort. Then they complain that they don't get any bids (Hmmm. An echo!).

Don't panic though. I've sold stuff through Ebay before. This includes 2 motorbikes and 2 cars (Well. 2 Reliant 3-wheelers actually). They've always fetched more than I expected.
post #400 of 420 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 Thread Starter

It's been all go at chez Spudgun's this morning. Final preparations are well under way for selling the 25.

After a preliminary inspection, a few faults were found. I knew I had a missing screw from somewhere (I had kept the screw in the glove box), but I didn't know where it had come from. Since I found it in the front passenger footwell. I had a fair idea where it had come from. With an aid of a torch, I checked. I was right. It was the screw from the bottom of the passenger door card. Screw was now refitted. The drivers side front indicator unit was full of water. Although I couldn't find a hole or a crack in the lens. I replaced the unit with one from my spares box. I also put some silicone grease on the rubber seal.

The fluids were checked. The coolant didn't need topping up! The washer bottle did, so that was done. Tyre pressures were checked (including the spare). Pressures were perfect at 28psi. I then topped up the battery with a battery charger.

I've mentioned before that I was going to de-Project Drive the Rover, but I wasn't going to continue as I was selling. Although I wasn't going to bother to remove the front bumper and retro fit the headlights and twin tone horns. I did fit the two D post badges. The all chrome headlights and horns will go with the car.

I have the inside a good going over with a vacuum cleaner. I now have to dust and polish the remainder of the cabin. The outside will get a wash and polish during the week. I would've done it today, but it's going to rain tomorrow. I want to take the photo's with the 25 looking its best. Speaking of which.....

I have already taken the initial photo's of the Rover. Just those little things that'll help sell the car. The exterior can wait until the week.

I'm off to do a bit more.