The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 21 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #401 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 14:01
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
"Pressures were perfect at 28psi"

Isn't it a bit too low?
IMHO the right pressure must be around 31psi.
And I like them to be a tad over inflated to 34psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 14:49 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Nope. 28psi is correct.

In a round about way. I talked about this subject earlier in this thread. The Rover had the wrong sized tyres on all 4 wheels. Tyre vendor websites kept calling my Rover a 1.4. Not a 1.6. As a result, they kept recommending the wrong sized tyres, along with the wrong pressure.

In Summary:
1.4: 30psi. (175/65R14)
1.6: 28psi. (185/65R14)

Figures taken from the Owners Handbook. Moving swiftly along.....

The interior work on the Rover is finished. A good vacuum and a dust and polish has been done. I decided not to over do it. I've left a mark or two for the new owner to clean. Anything that has been 'overdone' looks suspicious. Well. It does to me anyway. Finally, I checked that the remaining electrics still worked. I haven't used the electric mirrors for ages. They were still in good order. So. All that remains is the outside. Monday looks like the best day for that, as the Sun will be out.
post #403 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 15:11
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Don't want to argue, but I have got 185/55/15 tyres & alloy wheels (before that I had got 175/65/14) and Haynes reads:

Normal driving conditions - 185/55/15 or 175/65/14: 2.1 bars / 30 psi
Speeds above 100mph (or heavy loads) - 185/55/15: 2.4 bars / 35 psi
Speeds above 100mph (or heavy loads) -175/65/14: 2.3 bars / 33 psi

In the French owner's manual, 185/65/14 doesn't exist.

But you are quite right for 185/65/14: normal 1.9 bar / 28 psi or speedy / loaded 2.1 bars / 30 psi.

post #404 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 16:56 Thread Starter

Yup. Everything checks out. Now you can see the difference between the 1.4 and the 1.6 Rover 25's.

The question of the difference between steel and alloy wheels is an interesting one. It's not so much of a problem for the Rover 25 as the wheel size is obvious (14" steel. 15" alloy). It certainly was a problem when I had a Rover 416. I went to get a pair of tyres changed and the Dept quoted tyres for steel wheels. I pointed out that I had alloy wheels and that I wanted the correct tyres for them. A small argument ensued. I got the tyres that I wanted (Factory specified Pirelli P6000's if I remember correctly).

It just goes to show that the lists that tyre vendors have isn't as accurate has the original handbook (or indeed a Haynes manual).
post #405 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 17:00

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Correct tyre pressures are not an exact science. The ideal pressure will vary not only according to tyre size, but can also vary from one make (or model) of tyre to another.

The figures given in the owners handbook (or Haynes) will be a good average that will be suitable for most tyres of that size, but you may well find with a bit of trial and error that a couple of psi higher or lower than the handbook recommendation is more suitable.

In an ideal world, everyone would have the tyre manufacturers manual for the model of tyre fitted, which would tell you the correct pressure for that particular tyre according to the weight the car puts on it. However, tyre companies seem very reluctant to allow ordinary people to see these.
post #406 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 16:37 Thread Starter

Oh Lordy. What a day. I was hoping for a bright sunny day. Well. That's what the forecast said at the end of last week. So much for the weatherman.

I had scheduled the Rover the final preparations for the Ebay listing. The 25 had to be washed, waxed and polished. Then the photo's for the listing had to be taken. Things didn't go according to plan....

I took a trip to the local car wash. Although it wasn't out of order or anything. It couldn't be used. There was some work being done there by some contractors and they were using the car wash lane as a car park! I went home again to re-think my plans.

If you've seen a previous photo of the Rover and Jag parked together. You'd notice that they close together. I wanted to reverse the jag, so I could get some nice shots of the 25 from all angles. That promptly went out the window, as somebody else had parked where I wanted to put the Jag. The weather had also started to close in. Everything had started to go to pot.

An hour later, things had started to change. The other car had vanished and the weather looked a bit brighter. It was still overcast, but at least there was more light. I brought the Rover into the drive and gave it a wash. It wasn't the soapy extravaganza that I wanted, but needs are as needs must. A quick wipe down and a quicker wax later (Yeah. Not as good as I wanted), I parked the Jag in the now vacant slot and positioned the Rover ready for the Ebay photo's.

I took a whole heap of photo's. Around 40 in all. It wasn't until I ran up a draft of the Ebay listing did I realise that I could only use 12 of them. It was then an agonizing decision as to what 12 photo's I was going to use. I had to use pictures that showed the Rover at its best, but also show that it also had faults. I decided to mention the faults in the text. It was the best of a bad job really. On the whole. The photo's were OK. They would've been a lot better if it was sunny outside. The red of the body colour would've looked a lot brighter (Another best of a bad job).

Now. I think it would be protocol if I didn't say anything about the auction while the listing is live. Nor do I think that using photo's that are in the listing should be Posted here (To my mind. It's a conflict of interests thing). I'm not even going to Post a link to the auction. Suffice to say; The auction will go live on Thursday, around 7pm. However. I'm pretty sure that it's safe to Post a couple of the unused photo's. So here they are.

Roverlike and Dorchester like this.
post #407 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 16:50
Supporter

Nice interior you have (had). Better and brighter than the boring dark grey.
IMHO that protocol looks a bit stiff. Here no seller's banned to advertise freely on the net even an auction in on its way. Weird.
Nevertheless I'll try to find out that mysterious one.
Good luck to you.
post #408 of 437 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 16:58 Thread Starter

The protocol is somewhat self imposed. I'm on other Forums and advertising and linking is prohibited.

Then there's this:

Why can't I post my car for sale in here?
post #409 of 437 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 18:16 Thread Starter

It's been a looooonng day.

After the efforts of getting the Rover ready yesterday. I thought I could sit back and relax a bit. Not a chance. In an act of vengeance, it rained in the morning and then the sun decided to come out to play. WTF?????? The weather was supposed to be dull and overcast. That's why I did the photo's yesterday. After shaking my fist at anyone who might be looking from above, I set to work again.

In Summary:
T-Cut; Rubby, rubby, rubby. Polish; Rubby, rubby, rubby. Photo's; Clicky, clicky, clicky.

You know. The photo's I took yesterday are actually better than the ones I took today. The cloudy weather diffused the light so it was more even. The Rover looked a bit strange with one part brightly lit, while another part was in shadow. I'm not changing the photo's in the listing. Here's a photo that I took today.

Think I'll stay in bed next time.
post #410 of 437 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 20:09
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Agreed, yesterdays pics are better! The driver's door looks faded on the latest one. btw good luck with the sale

gnu
post #411 of 437 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 22:55

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Shame your in Devon, I think my Sister would like this car, she had a red
200 bubble, she loved it and thinks about it often.
post #412 of 437 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 11:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Shame your in Devon, I think my Sister would like this car, she had a red
200 bubble, she loved it and thinks about it often.
Distance can be a bit of a problem when you're selling on Ebay. Not only is Devon in a cul-de-sac. The distances are quoted 'as the crow flies'. I've had to add a note at the bottom of the listing to the effect of: Cardiff may be only 35 miles away, but the Bristol Channel is in the way. You are not Jesus and Rovers don't float.
post #413 of 437 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 18:48 Thread Starter

Well folks. The Auction has begun.

There was a last minute tussle with Ebay's software. For some strange reason, it wouldn't accept that the engine size was 1.6L. It wouldn't accept 1.4L either. Considering I was using a pull-down menu for the engine size. I've no idea of what was going on. I'm not all that worried though. The engine size is clearly stated in the Lots title.
post #414 of 437 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 20:08
Supporter

You're definitely a master... in suspense & thrilling stories!
Can't wait!
post #415 of 437 (permalink) Old 16-03-2017, 21:24 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
You're definitely a master... in suspense & thrilling stories!
Can't wait!
Thank you. I wonder if I ought to Post some of the guff I've written in the Off Topic Section.
post #416 of 437 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 21:19

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
I like your advert mate.
post #417 of 437 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 21:38 Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

I feel it's honest. Yes. It's true that I left out a lot of stuff. Somehow, I don't think that mentioning that the front speakers were blown and that I've fitted the tweeters was relevant. The majority of people who would be interested in looking and maybe even buying, would only be interested in certain aspects that have been addressed. IE: Head gasket and other known faults. So I've geared the advert towards your average shumck who wants a cheap car.

I'd rather see it go to an enthusiast though (Who wouldn't?).
post #418 of 437 (permalink) Old 23-03-2017, 18:52 Thread Starter

Well. The Auction is over. It didn't sell. Over 200 views and 7 Watchers and not a single bid. I had the starting price at 345 and nothing happened. I'm not gutted. I'm not even surprised. It's well known that Rovers aren't exactly popular (With the exception of the Rover 75). So what now?

The 25 is insured until the end of April, so I've a bit of time to play with. I really want to see it go by the end of this month. I will be relisting it. The listing will go up unchanged. I might lower the price a bit, but not by much. Getting the Auction to end at this time of a 5 week month was a bit of a gamble. Most people would only have 4 weeks money to last them 5 weeks. By getting it to end almost on pay day. They'll have 5 weeks money to last them 4 weeks. I should do a bit better.

Hey ho!
post #419 of 437 (permalink) Old 23-03-2017, 19:26
Supporter

Bad luck!
For that price (but with the wheel on our right side of course!) I would bid for yours every day of the year!
Keep fingers crossed for the next time.
post #420 of 437 (permalink) Old 25-03-2017, 14:02 Thread Starter

The Rover had been siting idle for just over a week. Since I had finished working on the Jag for the day. I thought I'd give the 25 a bit of a check and a quick workout, just to keep things sweet.

As expected, the Rover fired right up. As it was warm and sunny. I switched on the air-con, just to keep the refrigerant circulating and the seals lubricated. Then it was off for a spin. I didn't go far. Just a simple shopping trip. I'd say, 10 miles or so.

Since I had emptied out the cartridge in the CD changer. I put in a spare CD, just to ensure that it still worked. It did. The CD can stay there as it's a copy of a CD I already have (Now in the Jags autochanger).

We've had a bit of rain since the 25 was first listed on Ebay. There was some dirt on the windscreens. It was an opportunity to check that the washers and wipers were still in good order. The front ones were fine, but one of the nozzles on the rear washer had become clogged. That I would sort out, once I had got home.

Everything still worked as it should. OK. You don't expect a car to fall to bits in the space of a week, but if I had one fault. There may be others. You can't hand over a car with faults, if you've described it as 'everything works' on the Ebay listing. The last check was the reversing sensors. The Rover gets parked in front of the Jag. Yup. Perfect!

A quick poke with a drill bit got the rear washer nozzle unclogged. Correct function was restored. The Rover was then locked up for another week. Well, almost. I'll have to alter the clock tomorrow. I can't hand over the car with the wrong time on the clock. It'll look like I've done nothing to it for ages!
Dorchester likes this.