The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 22 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #421 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 19:20 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Well, it's all over. The Rover is sold. There were over 250 views and 12 watchers, but only 1 bidder. The Rover sold for 325 on the first bid. The buyer has been in contact already, so the details are now being sorted out for the collection.

I bought the 25 for 317 and sold it for 325. The uninformed would say that I made a profit. Others would say that I've broken even. As far as I'm concerned. I took an unloved, dilapidated and neglected Rover and have given it a new lease of life. Yes, I spent a heap of money on it. Yes, I only ever did a 1000 miles in it in the space of 11 months, but who cares? It's one more Rover that's staying on the road.
Dorchester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 19:52
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Well done - I hope the sale goes through? Methinks you've enjoyed your 25 from your posts. That's got to be worth something!

gnu
post #423 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 20:12
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
Well, it's all over. The Rover is sold. There were over 250 views and 12 watchers, but only 1 bidder. The Rover sold for 325 on the first bid. The buyer has been in contact already, so the details are now being sorted out for the collection.
Well done. At least she is safe as you say.
Did you tell your buyer about the forum? An opportunity for him to get help, for you to hear about your late sweetie, and for us not to loose another mate for better and posher cars!

post #424 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 20:21
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Well done on the sale. Fingers crossed the buyer is genuine and completes.
post #425 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 20:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
Well done. At least she is safe as you say.
Did you tell your buyer about the forum? An opportunity for him to get help, for you to hear about your late sweetie, and for us not to loose another mate for better and posher cars!
Don't panic. I actually sent a link to this Topic to the buyer. I could only put a certain amount in the Ebay listing. I thought it would be good to let the buyer have the entire story. It would also be nice if the buyer continued the saga of the 25 after it's gone from here.
post #426 of 437 (permalink) Old 30-03-2017, 20:26 Thread Starter

Oh. Slight error in my Post above. I've only done 1000 miles since the tyres were replaced. I've done 2000 miles in 11 months. Whoops!
post #427 of 437 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 15:49 Thread Starter

The end is almost here folks. The Rover is being collected tonight. It would've been 6.10pm, but he missed the train, so it's going to be 7.10pm.
post #428 of 437 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 18:46 Thread Starter

Well folks. The deed is done. The Rover is gone (to a happy owner, I must add). My input to the story of this little Rover 25 is at an end. However. This does not mean that the story has ended............
post #429 of 437 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 18:59
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Sounds over to me if it's gone.

gnu
post #430 of 437 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 19:24
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Well, I do not think and hope it is not over...
post #431 of 437 (permalink) Old 31-03-2017, 22:03

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■

.......for prosperity.
Dorchester likes this.
post #432 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 19:42 Thread Starter

Although this Post isn't an epitaph. It is a piece of irony.

I got 325 for my Rover. Not far from me. Somebody has bid nearly 400 for an Austin Allegro! Are Rovers really that bad?
post #433 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:57
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Rovers are more cherished on the continent with more proper prices than they are in UK.
Something we do see what is not seen by far too many in UK.
post #434 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:06

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
............... Are Rovers really that bad?
No, and neither is an Allegro The Allegro was quite a decent car when it was launched in 1973 - people only deride them because they are ignorant bigots, and because of lack of investment funds, the Allegro had to carry on for several years beyond the time when it should have been replaced and most other manufacturers were by then two generations of car beyond where they were in 1973, which made the late Allegro look massively inferior.

The problem with the MG Rover cars is that they have all been on the road for 10 years or more, and because the UK buys more brand new cars than any other European market, there is a huge volume of recent model second hand cars available. This glut of used cars gives rise to massive depreciation on those newer cars, and makes them easily affordable for most people, and that in turn means that very few people want to buy a 10+ year old car. Those that do are either MG Rover enthusiasts (who will only want one in tip top condition with low mileage) and those who just want a cheap runabout.

The sheer volume of MG and Rover cars still around means that there are far fewer buyers than there are people trying to sell them, which consequently means that there are a lot of perfectly good condition, mechanically sound MG Rover cars which are simply going straight to the breakers yard.

The people who are just using them as a cheap runabout, usually won't spend any money on even relatively minor repairs, so when something goes wrong, they too just take them to the nearest scrapyard - the consequence of this is that the breakers are finding that they are selling less and less used MG Rover parts, so they don't make much out of MG and Rover cars that come into their yards, so they don't want to pay more than a few pounds for them.

It is a sad fact of life, and most brands will suffer the same lack of interest and lack of value to a greater or lesser degree when they get to a similar age, and it will probably another 10 years at least before the numbers of MG Rover cars have dwindled to a point where the numbers available for sale fall to less than the number of nostalgic enthusiasts and the values begin to rise a little due to the effect of supply and demand.

The fact that 30 years on, an Allegro only commanded a bid of 400 suggests that those who fondly think that their MG Rover era cars will be worth money in the future may have to face up to a big disappointment.....
post #435 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:48
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
On the contrary in France since 20 years governments gave massive public aids to help people to get rid of their old cars so that the customer base is now massively constituted with new cars.

Old cars were largely sent to bin without being scrapped so that there are not as many scrapyards here than in the UK and the spare pieces are not so cheap and may be half the value of the new (or equivalent) ones. The last consequence being that old cars that have survived are still expensive: I cannot imagine I could have bought in France a Rover for so little as 300! It's utterly unbelievable! The worst ones (but in working order) cost 1000 or even a bit more and I bought mine with few miles and only one owner 2 years ago for a tad more than 2000! And I ensure you she worth it!

I remember in 2015 talking to a car rental agent just before taking the train to buy my Rover and when I told him I was to buy one, he responded: "A Rover? They are good cars. What a shame they are no longer built!".
post #436 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 Thread Starter

Much of the above have been covered in earlier Posts within this thread. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with going over with what was said earlier.

More or less at the beginning of the thread. I criticized some owners, who buy cars, neglect them and at some point, sell them on as they too many faults. My old Rover 25 was a classic case of this. The days of the home mechanic are long gone. Cars have gotten to complicated for your average 'spanner monkey', it ends up a case of sell it or scrap it. It's sad really, as most of the faults are easily fixed.

Another point I made is: The further away from the point of origin, the more expensive it becomes. When MG-Rover were still going, their cars were everywhere over here. Some would say that Rovers were common as muck. Since their demise, the numbers have dropped at an alarming rate. The only ones I see now are 25's, 45's and 75's. The 75 being the most common. The 'head gasket' reputation is possibly the biggest contributor to the low resale value and the scrapping of Rovers. To my mind, the reputation is undeserved. Ignorance and a lack of regular maintenance has killed most of the Rovers that once were on the road. THe ones that remain are; Hanging on for dear life, or owned by enthusiasts.

My parents owned a total of 3 Austin Allegros. I can still remember when they first came out and the first reviews. In my opinion, the Allegro didn't become a decent car until the Series 3 came out. But by then. It was to late. In no way am I decrying the Allegro. Many people around here had one. It was just another car in a sea of cars. An overwhelming number of cars from that period have long gone. As for the Allegro's reputation? Well. Something has to be the butt of motoring jokes. The Skoda had its turn. So did the Lada, Lancia Beta, Morris Marina and even the Reliant 3-wheeler and I had 4 of those! It's just the turn of the Austin Allegro.

As for the Allegro getting a bit of around 400 (It's actually 390 and the auction hasn't finished). Yes, it is ironic. Why spend more money on a rusty car that needs work, when a perfectly good one is available cheaper? Actually, there is an answer, but that really belongs in a thread of its own.
post #437 of 437 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 19:23 Thread Starter

Epitaph?

Out of curiosity. I checked up on the buyer of my old Rover 25 (As I hadn't received any feedback from the auction). It's not good news.

He's selling the two full chrome headlights that I bought to de-Project Drive the car. He's also selling the 10 CD autochanger that I installed (and subject to a guide on this forum).

What are the chances that the original radio cassette will get sold off in favour of a CD player?

I am sad.