The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 420 (permalink) Old 26-05-2016, 21:27 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
Thanks for the kind words folks, but the pictures make the 25 look better than it is. Of course, you can't see the faults that tend to plague these cars. Mind you. Most of these common faults have already been fixed. I can't fix the cigarette burn in the drivers seat though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 420 (permalink) Old 27-05-2016, 18:14 Thread Starter

I thought I'd Post this one up as a 'Something you don't see every day' kind of picture. The MG isn't mine, but is a regular visitor up here. It belongs to the daughter of a neighbor.

Dorchester and Mangizmo like this.
post #43 of 420 (permalink) Old 27-05-2016, 18:17
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Nice to see. Thank you for sharing!

post #44 of 420 (permalink) Old 27-05-2016, 19:55
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
I thought I'd Post this one up as a 'Something you don't see every day' kind of picture. The MG isn't mine, but is a regular visitor up here. It belongs to the daughter of a neighbor...
Has she annoyed you or something; you couldn't have parked much closer!

gnu
post #45 of 420 (permalink) Old 27-05-2016, 20:14 Thread Starter

I had to park that close in order to get both cars in the same picture (he lied).

In truth, she has a habit of parking where I'd park the Rover when I'm out. I have to get real close, so I don't block off the entrance to my drive (Another car is parked on the drive). As for distance.....

Just look how far away she parked from the kerb!
post #46 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 10:41

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Odd - MG ZR with 15" Turbine alloys from a Rover 25 and bare plastic mirror covers??????

..............but a little research shows it to be a Rover 25 GSi with an MG ZR bumper
post #47 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 11:00
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Odd - MG ZR with 15" Turbine alloys from a Rover 25 and bare plastic mirror covers??????

..............but a little research shows it to be a Rover 25 GSi with an MG ZR bumper
Good find... I was wondering what else was changed on that car...
post #48 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 11:02

Car: Rover 75 Tourer
I now have respect for the R25

I now have respect for the R25, they dont rot, parts are reasonably cheap, they go and handle nicely, reasonable on fuel, I never gave them a thought as I was a company car driver, then by accident almost I acquired a ZR with HGF which I have fixed (my daily driver is a R75 diesel tourer), what a great little car and if given the respect they deserve, the 25 is also a really nice car, I too need everything to work, it bugs me that people treat nicely designed machinery with such distain, heres my terrific ZR, this car was almost scrapped!!!!! 50,000 miles
[IMG]1 by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dorchester likes this.
post #49 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 16:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post

I'm not a Rover spotter, but come to think of it. I was puzzled by the 'Rover 25' written across the tailgate. All I know is that this one has leather seats and the air-con doesn't work (I spoke to the owner this morning). Speaking of which. This......

I've spent a fair chunk of the day mucking out the interior of the 25. It took two soapy buckets of warm water to remove the worst of the filth. The brown hued grey is now, just plain grey. It took another bucket of water (and foamy fabric cleaner) to deal with the seats. I admit, I should've taken a photo when I did the drivers seat, but the difference between the drivers seat and the passenger seat was VERY noticeable! The headlining came up well. There wasn't half some muck on that. After that. I have the carpets a good going over with a vacuum cleaner. There's just the polishing to do.

Now. I'm not aiming for a pristine condition inside the car. If I wanted that. I'd go to a proper valet. Then I'd be afraid to get it dirty again. I aimed for a clean, but used look. Some of the interior plastics have the odd scratch. If I wanted 'pristine', I'd have to replace those plastics. I'm happy with the result I have (Well. Will be, once I've done the polishing).

I did the first tyre pressure check sine I've had the Rover. It was at that point that I noticed that all four tyres were the wrong size for the steel wheels. This has happened to me before when I first had my old Rover 416SLi. The tyres on the front were one wrong size. The tyres on the back were another wrong size. The 25 was no different. All four tyres are supposed to be the same size (175/65R14 according to the book)! The Rover 416 was easy to explain. I went in to get a pair of tyres changed to the correct ones (for alloy wheels) and the tyre depot tried to sell me the wrong ones (but correct for steel wheels). I suspect that my 25 suffered the same fate and ended up with tyres suitable for alloy wheels. I'm not unduly worried at the moment. The 185/60R14 front tyres are fine. The 185/65R14 rear tyres will need changing before the next MOT. Oh. Did I mention that the tyre pressures were wrong. Well, three of them were. All fixed now.

While I was poking about around the wheels. I knocked off some of the dirt that accumulates in the wheel arches. Well I never. All four arches have plastic linings! No wonder these cars don't rot. I'll have to get the power washer out and give the underneath of the car a good clean. It'll probably make the Rover a few Lbs lighter.
post #50 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 16:57 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
I now have respect for the R25, they dont rot, parts are reasonably cheap, they go and handle nicely, reasonable on fuel, I never gave them a thought as I was a company car driver, then by accident almost I acquired a ZR with HGF which I have fixed (my daily driver is a R75 diesel tourer), what a great little car and if given the respect they deserve, the 25 is also a really nice car, I too need everything to work, it bugs me that people treat nicely designed machinery with such distain, heres my terrific ZR, this car was almost scrapped!!!!! 50,000 miles
[IMG]1 by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks familiar.

2005 MG ZR 1.4 105, MANUAL, 3 DOOR , Rio Red Excellent example | eBay

Holy Hell. You're in Barnstaple as well! How cool is that?
post #51 of 420 (permalink) Old 28-05-2016, 18:15 Thread Starter

I've done a bit of tyre searching on the Web. You might find this interesting.

I went to a number of websites, where there is a local branch. I typed in my Registration number and a list of tyres came up as you would expect. All but one site had the correct 175/65R14-82T tyre on the list. One site had only had the correct tyre for a steel wheel (no listings for alloy wheels) on the list. One site only listed tyres for alloy wheels. Even then. 14' tyres weren't listed at all.

Is it any wonder that cars get fitted with the wrong tyres?
post #52 of 420 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 07:51

Quote:
L

Holy Hell. You're in Barnstaple as well! How cool is that?
LOL, now seriously thinking of keeping it, its just too good to sell cheap, I would reluctantly let it go for 1300, but if nobody will pay it, I will keep it, its great
post #53 of 420 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 09:37 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
LOL, now seriously thinking of keeping it, its just too good to sell cheap, I would reluctantly let it go for 1300, but if nobody will pay it, I will keep it, its great
I've got this itchy feeling that you'll end up keeping it. Rovers don't tend to fetch a lot of money as they're seen as being 'uncool'. Having said that. Rover 75's are hard to come by as owners tend to hang on to them. I'm after one myself.
post #54 of 420 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 11:49

Quote:
I've got this itchy feeling that you'll end up keeping it. Rovers don't tend to fetch a lot of money as they're seen as being 'uncool'. Having said that. Rover 75's are hard to come by as owners tend to hang on to them. I'm after one myself.
If I end up keeping it then OK, I am not bothered, am not giving it away, anyhow 75's, I am actually the worlds biggest fan, I have continually owned one (3 in total) since 2002), heres my latest conny diesel tourer, a seriously good car!!
[IMG]ROV3 by Mangizmo Brean, on Flickr[/IMG]
post #55 of 420 (permalink) Old 29-05-2016, 11:53
Supporter

Quote:
Rover 75's are hard to come by as owners tend to hang on to them. I'm after one myself.
How about a 56 plate with 45k on the clock?

Rover 75 1.8 T Connoisseur SE 4dr

Or, if you're after something a bit cheaper:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ault&logcode=p

Last edited by Splop; 29-05-2016 at 12:02.
post #56 of 420 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 19:13 Thread Starter

I want a 2Ltr Diesel auto with a 'Connie' spec. I don't like the facelift models. I think they're ugly. It also has to be a saloon. Yeah, I might be a bit picky, but I can wait. Moving swiftly on......

I did some more servicing yesterday. The sparkplugs were in perfect shape. Iridium plugs as well! I also took the wheels off to check the brakes. The front pads were brand new. Original Rover parts as well. The rear shoes need changing. They're pretty much at their maximum wear limit. Once I've changed the shoes. It'll mean that the tyres are the only thing that needs to be looked at. Speaking of which.....

It turns out that 175/65R14 aren't correct for my 25. It's actually 185/65R14. The 175/65R14's are correct for the 1.1 and the 1.4 Rover 25's. The 1.6 upwards use the 185/65R14's. This information comes from the original Rover 25 Handbook that came with the car. This means that my rear two tyres are the correct size, but are worn. My front two tyres are wrong, but are good. So why do tyre websites get it wrong?

Many tyre websites ask you to input your Registration number. The site then goes away and identifies your car and lists the tyres that should be fitted. There's a catch though. My Rover comes back as a red Rover 25iL. No engine size is mentioned. I think that this is a bit shoddy. The wheel itself is the same, but the tyre required is different.

I still ponder of the number of cars that have the wrong tyres fitted.
post #57 of 420 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 19:58
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
The proper size for a Rover 25 1.4 is either 175/65/14 or 185/55/15.
I had initially the former with metal wheels. I bought alloys ones in very good nick and put the latter.
And I'm pretty happy with that change.
post #58 of 420 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 19:11 Thread Starter

At long last, I've got my CD autochanger properly fitted. It spent the past couple of weeks being velcroed to the carpet in the boot. I admit, it wasn't all that good, but it did it's job. Now it's bolted where it should be.

The next job on the audio front will be to fit the tweeters into the front doors. I think it's a bit silly to have the grilles for them, but nothing but blanking plates in behind. I got a pair cheap from Ebay. The leads are all made up and ready to fit. I'll do that another day.
post #59 of 420 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 13:29

Car: MG ZR
loving the thread, r25's are deffinately better than the ZR. More toys, higher spec, the difference is between the pre facelift and facelifts as the pre are deffinately a better built car.
Dorchester likes this.
post #60 of 420 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 16:26 Thread Starter

I'm glad that you're enjoying the thread. I'm happy to write it. My Rover 25 is still a stop-gap car though. I still want a Rover 75.

If I'm honest, the 25 isn't as good as my old 416SLi. The suspension is harder. I've never been a fan of front wheel drive manuals. I've always found the gear change to be not as slick as a rear wheel drive manual. I don't like hatchbacks. The 25 is the first car I've ever owned that's got a 5 speed gearbox. I'm still getting used to it. Still. The 25 is certainly well put together.