The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25 - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 437 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 19:42 Thread Starter

Car: Jaguar X-Type
I had an hour to spare this evening, so I managed to fit a tweeter to the passenger door (I'll do the drivers door tomorrow). It doesn't half make a difference to the sound! The high notes are soooo much 'brighter'! Well recommended as an upgrade..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 437 (permalink) Old 13-06-2016, 00:19

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Reminds me, must sort my sound system out.

How have you got on sorting the A/C ?
post #63 of 437 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 12:42 Thread Starter

The A/C is sorted. I took it up to the Garage and had it fully serviced. There were no leaks or anything. There just wasn't any refrigerant in it. I don't think it had ever been refilled for the past 13 years. When I had my old Rover 400. The A/C was done every 2 years (as Recommended). The A/C on the 25 is better than the 400. It feels cooler and the vent distribution is better. Moving swiftly along.....

I did the last bit of servicing today. That was changing the rear brake shoes. What a pain in the neck! Who the hell changed the design of the drum brakes? They ought to be taken out and shot!

In days of yore, changing brake shoes was a doddle. Just take the drum off. Unclip the spring retainers. Unclip the bottom shoe spring and then lift the two shoes off. Easy. Assembly was a reverse order affair. The only job that needed doing was to adjust the square head adjuster on the back plate with a special spanner. Just how easy do you want it? Then some jerk changed the design........

The manual adjuster has been replaced with an auto version. One shoe is now connected to the brake assembly by a cable. There's a sprung loaded plate that sits between the 2 brake shoes. Why is there this extra level of complexity? Does this redesign make the braking more efficient (I doubt it)? Does this redesign make the braking system cheaper to produce (Highly unlikely)? Is this redesign anything to do with people being more stupid (I'd buy that)?

In Summary: It took far longer to change the brake shoes on the 25 than it has ever taken on any other car I've owned.

I hate the design!

post #64 of 437 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 13:56

Car: MG ZR+ 120 Mk1 (53) & Rover 25 GLi Mk2 (06).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
I had an hour to spare this evening, so I managed to fit a tweeter to the passenger door (I'll do the drivers door tomorrow). It doesn't half make a difference to the sound! The high notes are soooo much 'brighter'! Well recommended as an upgrade..
The tweeters are essential in my opinion! Very good upgrade to a car without them.

I recently drove a 25 without tweeters and it was instantly obvious that they were missing, really dull sound from the radio. I was pleased to find that my 25 has tweeters, just a shame it doesn't have the rear speakers too as per the ZR.

Overall though yes tweeters are a great addition, as is swapping out the original head unit for a one of your choice. I've changed the head unit in both my ZR & 25 for better ones and the standard speakers are considerably better than you might expect once you feed them with a nice head unit.

It's worth removing the door cards just to give the woofer screws a little nip up too. My 25 was suffering with a touch of booming and distortion until I tightened the speakers screws (they were quite loose). I love free and easy improvements like that
post #65 of 437 (permalink) Old 18-06-2016, 14:34
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
The tweeters are essential in my opinion! Very good upgrade to a car without them.

I was pleased to find that my 25 has tweeters, just a shame it doesn't have the rear speakers too as per the ZR.
Neither I had the rear speakers on my 25. But they are wired from factory, and finding out a cheap genuine spared pair on Ebay, I did the trick. Just a little rummage to find out the wires on the left side. Nothing tricky.
Mean & Green likes this.
post #66 of 437 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 10:41 Thread Starter

Something I forgot to mention.

When I was checking the condition of the brakes, I checked the condition of the tyres. I previously mentioned that the front tyres were the wrong size (185/60/14), but the rears were correct (185/65/14). When I had the wheels off, I took a good look at the tyres. The front ones looked fairly new. The rear ones were worn, but weren't MOT failures. However. The rear tyres had uneven wear on them. The outside edges were more worn then the centre or inside edges. I had checked the tyre pressures a couple of weeks previously and all of the tyres were over inflated (about 35PSI).

At his time. I suspect that the over inflated rear tyres were once on the front and the new tyres replaced the worn out rears, then put on the front (Rotating wheels is normal for better tyre wear). It's just a pity that I'll have to replace the correct sized rear tyres before the wrong sized front ones are done.
post #67 of 437 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 11:42 Thread Starter

Oh gawd. It's that Rover 25 with the MG front end again (Picture on page 3 of this thread). That car is being subjected to some abuse! I was sat here surfing the net and I heard a grinding noise outside. Yup. It's the tortured sound of a gearbox in distress. It took two attempts to get it into 1st gear. I suspect that the gearbox is now full of grinding paste.

When the car was here yesterday. I noticed that the rubber seal that goes around the aperture for the rear passenger door was hanging off from the top. Some people shouldn't have these cars!
post #68 of 437 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 13:35

Should have seen the swarf that came out of my MG-ROVER dealer supplied
recon gearbox ! :/

At least your A/C works.
Spudgun! and Landfill like this.
post #69 of 437 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 13:45 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Should have seen the swarf that came out of my MG-ROVER dealer supplied
recon gearbox ! :/

At least your A/C works.
I've got to admit, your Post made me smile. Screw the gearbox. At least the A/C works.
post #70 of 437 (permalink) Old 22-06-2016, 20:24

Yeah sod it, sit on the drive and look cool in the cool.
post #71 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 Thread Starter

I've now had this car for 3 months. Although I've not done many miles in it (My principle mode of transport is a motorbike), it's beginning to grow on me. There are still things I don't like (It's red. It's a FWD manual and it's a hatchback), it is a competent little runaround. Ordinarily, the spending of money on the Rover would've stopped by now, as I only bought the car as a stop-gap until I got a Rover 75. However, the spending has started again.

I haven't bought anything fundamental to the running of the Rover (That stage is finished), just those little detail things. I've replaced the tatty driver door speaker cover. The cloth on the old one had become unstuck on one edge and looked awful. I've also bought the labels that go on the power steering and coolant tanks as mine were missing. Silly, I know. They're just details that don't do anything, but their presence make the engine more 'looked after'. Then I turned my attention to Project Drive.

I've been through the list of deletions for the Rover 25. It's quite surprising how much of the stuff is still available. The only bit I really wanted isn't though. I really miss the illuminated ring around the ignition from my old Rover 400. I would've reinstated that part in an instant! Are there any other deleted parts that are worth having?
post #72 of 437 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:31
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
At this moment I cannot say I know the list of project drive dropouts by hart. I would need to go through a list and ses.
Otherwise I can speak only about things you might miss and I have on my R200 bubble.
post #73 of 437 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 18:12 Thread Starter

By and large, the Project Drive changes don't make a lot of difference. Nobody is going to miss a couple of badges, a missing horn or a change of headlights. Thankfully, I have a spare wheel instead of a emergency inflation kit. I do find it odd that an anti vibration engine mount got deleted, along with a drive shaft damper (I've got the 1.6). Both of these parts are still available from Rimmer Bros.

Interestingly enough. I've fitted the power steering reservoir label today. That was another Project Drive deletion.
post #74 of 437 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 16:02 Thread Starter

Something I previously forgotten to mention. I've bought myself a nice leather (Genuine MG Rover of course) gear stick gaiter. The old vinyl gaiter was looking tired and naff. That should spruce up the cabin a bit!
post #75 of 437 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 16:55

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
By and large, the Project Drive changes don't make a lot of difference. Nobody is going to miss a couple of badges, a missing horn or a change of headlights.
That was the original intention of Project Drive - to reduce the cost of production by deleting parts which were out of sight and were not absolutely necessary; things which the owner would not miss because they would not have known they were there, and which would not alter the appearance or quality of the car if deleted.

Unfortunately, MGR got a bit carried away, and their increasingly dire financial position led them to start deleting things which were noticed, and did have a negative effect on customers perception of the quality of finish, and level of equipment.
post #76 of 437 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 17:55 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Unfortunately, MGR got a bit carried away, and their increasingly dire financial position led them to start deleting things which were noticed, and did have a negative effect on customers perception of the quality of finish, and level of equipment.
I started to notice things when I first had the 25. My old 400 was still parked up awaiting collection, so I was able to make instant comparisons. The 400 oozed quality compared to the 25. It was little detail things. The badges on the D posts. The illuminated ring around the ignition key (I do miss that). The 8 pin clock and the R860 radio. The Rover monogrammed floor mats. It made the 25 look a bit cheap and nasty (Apparently, the facelift 25 was a lot worse!). One thing I absolutely hated was the facia for the heater controls. It really looked cheap and tacky. I fitted one from an earlier model, so it looked more like my old 400. Sadly, due to Project Drive, Rover changed the wiring loom. I wanted to retro fit the 8 pin clock and radio from my 400 (as fitted to the earlier 25's. OK the earlier 25's had the R770 radio, but the R860 was a direct swop).

Yeah. MGR went a bit too far with Project Drive.
post #77 of 437 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 22:41

No s###, they took the p### mate, the difference in the Mrs new
Mk1 25 compared to her old 25 Mk2 is shocking, especially in trim
quality and road noise, they were never quality cars to begin with
but if they just kept improving them and just rolled out the same
basic car at a reasonable price things might have been different
but having four mediocre donkeys at the helm on a get rich trip
didn't help.
post #78 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 19:29 Thread Starter

The inside of the 25 is looking pretty respectable now. I've yet to change the gearstick gaiter, but I'll be doing that later in the month.

The engine bay is a bit manky. I've noticed that on the front area of the bumper. There's placeholders for 4 labels. One is for the (Project Drive) deleted Bonnet Stay. Another is a Caution label for the fan. The third was for the air conditioning. What the hell was the forth?

post #79 of 437 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 20:46

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
......What the hell was the forth?
A Scottish river??

SRS warning label?
post #80 of 437 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:38
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Here you have list of labels for Ro er 25: Rover 200/25/MG ZR Labels at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Actually not sure which label would be bonnet stay? Cannot say I remember seeing one?