MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Have I messed up?

867 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gotenks1321 
#1 ·
Hi all brought a zr mark 1 1.4 105 to start the car the ignition had to be turned for about 5 seconds while pumping the gas to get the car started assuming timing was out. On buying this car to do as a project I annoying mechanic may I add the bloke told me he done the head gasket 10k ago but used a cheap gasket as didn't have the funds.
The car smoked white smoke a trooper, I felt air from the engine bay coming from above the head and oil is everywhere so I decided to do all gaskets again from scratch.

This is where I think I messed up I took the 2 cam cogs off to get the head off but did not take notice how they were. I roughly know from looking.

How now will I know how to put the cogs back on once I've put the head back on?

Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
Once the head is back on, the liners will be clamped in place again and you can then safely turn the crank pulley so that the timing mark lines up with the mark on the engine casting.

If any of the pistons are currently situated at the top of their stroke (ie. at the top of the liner), I would suggest refitting the head with camshafts removed so there is no danger of tightening the head down with any valves touching the piston crown and getting bent. You can then turn the crank to the safe position and refit the camshafts and align them as shown in the link posted by tom4ever before fitting the belt.

#10 ·
Thank you man in a car.
I do at current have 2 Pistons at the top if memory serves me right it was 2 and 3. I will Take the cam shafts off before putting the head back on now to be stupid how will I know the correct placement for the cam shafts? I want to do it right first time.

I will next time find something less important to do to take my mind off my medications causing me issues lol

Thank you all for replying the help is very much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.