Head gasket or inlet manifold failure - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 18:06 Thread Starter

Head gasket or inlet manifold failure

What's the difference between head gasket and inlet manifold failure? I currently have a caramel like substance on my oil filler cap but nothing I'm my expansion bottle. What is it?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 19:04

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
depending on your mileage and the weather where you live you will get the creamy substance on your filler cap , if doing short journeys and living in a damp area it will show up more .
if the head gasket is gone / going then your water level may drop and become contaminated with oil and the engine will run rough ans stay running rough and the oil level may well rise on the dip stick .
if the inlet gasket has gone / going then the water level will drop also but the car will run rough when first starting it for a few miles then run ok
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 00:28

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Bingham View Post
What's the difference between head gasket and inlet manifold failure? I currently have a caramel like substance on my oil filler cap but nothing I'm my expansion bottle. What is it?!
The Head Gasket fails causing leakage of oil, coolant, or oil and coolant.

Inlet manifold failure entails the gasket on the manifold has failed causing coolant to enter the engine or leak past the cylinder head to the outside world.

Either have similar symptoms though there are ways to tell, some more expensive than others.

You don't usually get mayonnaise from inlet manifold failure because the cylinder will burn off any coolant before it mixes with the oil.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:54

Car: MG TF
And if you have F/ TF with metal (2-part) inlet manifold , IMF is unusual ( but possible )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:05

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Bingham View Post
I currently have a caramel like substance on my oil filler cap but nothing I'm my expansion bottle. What is it?!
It is an emulsion of oil and water. Whilst some people will say that you will get this due to condensation and short runs in cold weather (when the engine supposedly doesn't get hot enough to evaporate it); I no longer subscribe to that view.

Since replacing the cylinder head gasket on my ZR four and a half years ago, I have never had any sign of condensation or emulsified oil under the oil filler cap at all, regardless of how cold the weather has been and the number of short journeys. The cap has remained bone dry.

It is therefore my conclusion that if you have emulsion in the filler cap, you may well have one of the signs of head gasket failure. If you are finding the level of coolant in the expansion tank keeps dropping and needs topping up, this would also support that idea (my ZR has not needed any topping up of the coolant in the last 4 years).

However, we really do need to know a bit more about the car - we are assuming it is a 25 or ZR with a petrol K series engine.

Inlet manifold gasket failure will not allow coolant into the oil - it will either get burned off while the engine is running, or will cause the engine to hydrolock. If coolant leaking into the cylinders from the IMG is able to get past the piston rings and into the sump, you have badly worn piston rings and/or worn/cracked cylinder liners, and a much more serious problem with the engine than an IMG failure!