has anyone fitted a hella socket to their ZR?, if yes how did you do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 20:46
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Can you explain what you mean by 'hella socket'?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 22:28

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
It will be a continental type DIN socket - I always knew these as Hella sockets years ago, and it still seems to be a commonly used generic term for them; one of these: 12V 24V 15A CONTINENTAL HELLA / DIN ACCESSORY POWER SOCKET | eBay

MG Rover used to offer one as an accessory fit for the 200/25/ZR (part number VUB100270, now NLA from XPart) - the instruction sheet gave instructions for installing it in the plastic side support for the rear parcel shelf to provide a power feed for lowish powered accessories (the instructions had it wired into the feed for the loadspace lamp, but if it was needed to power anything needing more than a few amps, a separate feed from the fuse box would perhaps be advisable).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 18:37 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Can you explain what you mean by 'hella socket'?
A HELLA is a socket fitted as standard top trucks now instead of the cigar lighter, it is used for electronic devices like GPS, Cameras and things like kettles. It is a different fitting to a cigar lighter but more securee in that it clicks in and cannot be knocked out like the cigar one. You need a hella to cigar converter for normal devices to be connected but you can get cheap adaptors.

this is the hella connector
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUCK-CAMPER-VAN-HELLA-DIN-12V-24V-DC-ACCESSORY-POWER-PLUG-/291040452525

this is hella socket
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-DIN-HELLA-12V-24V-15-AMP-Power-Socket-/180502774778

Last edited by dingodoo; 11-05-2017 at 18:45.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 18:40 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It will be a continental type DIN socket - I always knew these as Hella sockets years ago, and it still seems to be a commonly used generic term for them; one of these: 12V 24V 15A CONTINENTAL HELLA / DIN ACCESSORY POWER SOCKET | eBay

MG Rover used to offer one as an accessory fit for the 200/25/ZR (part number VUB100270, now NLA from XPart) - the instruction sheet gave instructions for installing it in the plastic side support for the rear parcel shelf to provide a power feed for lowish powered accessories (the instructions had it wired into the feed for the loadspace lamp, but if it was needed to power anything needing more than a few amps, a separate feed from the fuse box would perhaps be advisable).
I was planning on keeping the current cigar socket in my car but adding the hella to the side panel next to passenger footwell then i can pack all spare cables behind headunit.
My question is can the hella socket be easily connected to the current cigar lighter meaning i can have both sockets or should i just replace the cigar for hella and is it a straight swap.?
My GPS has a hella socket on the cable and so does my dash cam so makes sense to use that socket which cannot be knoclked out like cigar one when you move gearknob
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 20:49
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Well you learn something new!

You can either piggyback the lighter socker, take a feed from the fusebox or straight from the battery with inline fuse.