Im A Tad Confused HELP! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 18:06 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Im A Tad Confused HELP!

I ahve just had my rover 218 sent to a garage for a replacemnt head gasket and was quoted 350-400 ant told it would take 3-4 days itw as sent on monday and came back this evening ******* out water and was then told that the bill was over 600 which i just dont have! why is it leaking water and why has the price went up so high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 18:08

Car: -
Did you not ask them why it was more than quoted ?

Did the head need skimming that they hadn't originally quoted for ?

Were additional items such as cambelt or waterpump replaced ?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 18:11 Thread Starter

i spoke to them last week and they did tell me that all of the aboe was included in the price have been given no explanation so far.

Car went away at the start of the week was told that it would take a few days 1 day to take aparts, 2nd day for Head to be sent away to be skimmed. 3rd day to be put back together.
It has come back 4 days later with the expansion tank steaming and bubbling and pouring out water.

I asked what was wrong and was told it is excess water and oil that they cant flush out i am very confused and any help would be much appreicated.

Last edited by S73vie; 21-04-2011 at 18:24.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 18:59
Hobbyist

Car: MGF 1.8i and Volvo C70 Convertible plus a boat that is a moneypit
Have you paid them??
I hope not. The car should have been returned to you in good condition.
Is the car now in your possession?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:09 Thread Starter

Ricky i complained and the car was driven back down there a couple miles from my home, Still bubbling and pouring out water and the coolant tank was almost empty. The garage has said it could take a week to flush out all the excess oil and the only way to do it is use daz because it is oil and water wont shift it.

I really do not know what to do. Not only has there beena huge 200 hike in the bill but i dont know whats wrong with the car.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:19

Car: -
What's this current obsession with using washing powder?
What's wrong with proper engine flush?

I suspect you took the car to a mechanic that was wearing spurs and a stetson.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverman View Post

I asked about other methods and was told because it is oil its the only thing that will work.

know its hard to get a response on what could be wrong because you cant see the car. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the car or am i being told alot of rubbish for there mistakes?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:25

Car: citroen xsara 1.9 tdi, 1973 hillman imp
Send a message via MSN to carlessnomore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverman View Post

at work we use degreasing chemicals for this

has the cooling system been bled properly? or is it pressurising the system?

does it idle fine and run ok?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:25
Hobbyist

If they told you 350 to 400 at first then that is an estimate. Any reputable garage will contact you before committing to 10% higher than that.
The work done was obviously not tested and as such I would doubt the mechanical repairs as well.
I would try to get the car back and then have another mechanic check it out and repair it. I would also with-hold any expense I had out of the 400 payable to the original garage.

But that is just me!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:46 Thread Starter

The whole job i was quoted at 400 now that all this has happened they want 600 because since the last time they did a hg on a rover the bolts and parts have shot up in price. Plus its cost extra because of the state of the engine and its cost more to them for it to be skimmed.

The Garage never called me to tell me of the increase in price and expected me to pay 600 with the coolant bubbling and pouring out creamy oil.

I dont know what i can do legally as in not pay and take the car back or if i am maybe jumping the gun a little if i did that.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 19:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlessnomore View Post
at work we use degreasing chemicals for this

has the cooling system been bled properly? or is it pressurising the system?

does it idle fine and run ok?
I think its pressure because the caps on the coolant but the water is still escaping out the coolant bottle. Some what it was like when the hg first went however its no where near as thick its like a creamy syrup like a watery mustard.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 20:05
Hobbyist

Bottom line?
From what you have said, this is a CR*P job.
You need to get the car back in your possession and withold the money until it is sorted out to your satisfaction. As long as they hold the car they hold all the cards.
Fixing the head gasket includes flushing the system, bleeding the system and a full test to ensure that the problem has been fixed.

It almost sounds to me like they have not done anything (maybe tightened the head and added some sealant to the water or something (it has happened before!!).
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 20:45
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
The target price I usually put on this job is 500 to include the water pump and belts so 600 is expensive, but not daylight robbery. However, they should not charge more than their original quote (or even estimate) without first clearing it with you and the car should be handed back with the problem solved.

Cooling system degreasing products are available for cleaning out oil residue since this is a common problem so this should not have been a problem.

The system will now be boiling up due to an air lock or blocked radiator. If it is an air lock the heater will not blow hot air and it will overheat very quickly due to the lack of flow around the system. Oil contamination of the system will make bleeding very difficult so this is the most likely problem.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 21-04-2011, 20:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
The target price I usually put on this job is 500 to include the water pump and belts so 600 is expensive, but not daylight robbery. However, they should not charge more than their original quote (or even estimate) without first clearing it with you and the car should be handed back with the problem solved.

Cooling system degreasing products are available for cleaning out oil residue since this is a common problem so this should not have been a problem.

The system will now be boiling up due to an air lock or blocked radiator. If it is an air lock the heater will not blow hot air and it will overheat very quickly due to the lack of flow around the system. Oil contamination of the system will make bleeding very difficult so this is the most likely problem.
Thanx for the info. I dont know if it means anything, when i touched the hoses the top hoses where really hot but the bottom ones where cold dont know if that means anything?

With regards to the price it was a 50% Increase from 400 to 600 and i never got a call to discuss this either which has annoyed me.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 22-04-2011, 12:53
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
When the car is being driven, the top hose is hotter than the bottom hose because the air flow cools the water, but if standing still the temperatures should even up once the thermostat opens. If this does not happen it indicates a lack of flow, either because the rad is blocked or the stat is not opening, perhaps due to an air lock stopping the flow to it.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 22-04-2011, 13:29
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
Quote:
Originally Posted by S73vie View Post
I ahve just had my rover 218 sent to a garage for a replacemnt head gasket and was quoted 350-400 ant told it would take 3-4 days itw as sent on monday and came back this evening ******* out water and was then told that the bill was over 600 which i just dont have! why is it leaking water and why has the price went up so high?
Firstly, it sounds like the garage don't really have a clue and don't get many MG/ROVER head gaskets to do... lol...
They should not of carried out the work above the quote they originally gave without contacting you first to see if you were ok with it!

Quote:
i spoke to them last week and they did tell me that all of the aboe was included in the price have been given no explanation so far.

Car went away at the start of the week was told that it would take a few days 1 day to take aparts, 2nd day for Head to be sent away to be skimmed. 3rd day to be put back together.
It has come back 4 days later with the expansion tank steaming and bubbling and pouring out water.

I asked what was wrong and was told it is excess water and oil that they cant flush out i am very confused and any help would be much appreicated.
it does not take a day to take apart... lol, more like an hour to two hours maximum (if you know what you're doing, which you'd expect from a garage). It also doesn't take a day to put back together... more like 2-3 hours maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky146a View Post
If they told you 350 to 400 at first then that is an estimate. Any reputable garage will contact you before committing to 10% higher than that.
The work done was obviously not tested and as such I would doubt the mechanical repairs as well.
I would try to get the car back and then have another mechanic check it out and repair it. I would also with-hold any expense I had out of the 400 payable to the original garage.

But that is just me!
+1. Totally agree.
We would NEVER carry work out if it was above an original quote without discussing it with the customer first. Also, i would take the car to another garage or mechanic and have them fix it with the money you'd put to one side originally.

Quote:
The whole job i was quoted at 400 now that all this has happened they want 600 because since the last time they did a hg on a rover the bolts and parts have shot up in price. Plus its cost extra because of the state of the engine and its cost more to them for it to be skimmed.

The Garage never called me to tell me of the increase in price and expected me to pay 600 with the coolant bubbling and pouring out creamy oil.

I dont know what i can do legally as in not pay and take the car back or if i am maybe jumping the gun a little if i did that.
The whole job of 400 was not a bad price coming from a garage to do a hg replacement including cambelt and waterpump. However, putting it up to 600 because "parts have increased in price" is bull *****. If they're a garage, they should get the parts at a trade price (which is alot less than the normal customer buying them themselves) I know for a fact the parts needed can be supplied for less than 200. I personally would refuse to pay up and take the car elsewhere. I'd also send the garage a letter explaining why you're not willing to pay 600 especially when your original quote which you AGREED to was less than that, AND the fact it's ******* out water and building up pressure which shows they haven't done the job properly or it wouldn't be doing that (You let a garage do your hg, and expect it to come back running well, or at least i would anyway...)

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 22-04-2011, 14:48

Car: MG ZR
Quote:

i think legally they have to stick to the original quote unless they have informed you of the increase and you have agreed to them prior to the work being carried out. i suggest you take it somewhere else and A get them to check if the work has been carried out and B it has been done to a proffessional standard. if not then by rights you can refuse to pay them a penny!. sounds to me like they are cowboys and havnt done the job properly. perhaps someone on here could start compiling a list of garages that do shoddy work like this to warn others about using samer ones??? not sure how legal that would be but it might be a good idea......
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 24-04-2011, 20:30 Thread Starter

Update here. I got the car back yesterday afternoon.

Car seemed to drive ok apart from a clicking noise when i first turn the car over, Sometimes when i chage gear and lift my foot of the excelerator.

I noticed this morning that my garage has an oil patch. Now the coolant tank is like brownish water not as thick or as dark as it was previously.

Also the coolant level has dropped a fair bit as well i am guessing this has not been a good job done at all?

anyone shed any light on this for me tearing what hair i have left out.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 24-04-2011, 21:07

Car: NOW HAVE A 25, 45 & 75
If you paid by cheque ring the bank on tuesday morning and stop it, contact trading standards make them aware of the situation and they will take the situation in hand, they will either make the garage fix the car to the correct standard or charge them to have it fixed else were
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 25-04-2011, 08:20
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
Quote:
Update here. I got the car back yesterday afternoon.

Car seemed to drive ok apart from a clicking noise when i first turn the car over, Sometimes when i chage gear and lift my foot of the excelerator.

I noticed this morning that my garage has an oil patch. Now the coolant tank is like brownish water not as thick or as dark as it was previously.

Also the coolant level has dropped a fair bit as well i am guessing this has not been a good job done at all?

anyone shed any light on this for me tearing what hair i have left out.
personally it sounds like they didn't have a clue what they were doing to begin with... as said above, get in touch with trading standards...

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *