Info needed on buying a Rover 200 BRM - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 18:37 Thread Starter

Car: CityRover
Info needed on buying a Rover 200 BRM

Posted this in the BRM section but somehow it doesn't show up, so i'm posting it over here ;-)

Hi,

I've always liked the Rover 200/25 series and I'm about to buy a 1999 Rover 200 BRM which has covered about 90.000 miles.

If I may believe the previous owner and the garage that it's selling the car has little rust, but I do have a question about that rust.

I've contacted the previous owner (the garage gave me his number which is really great) and he owned the car for about 7-8 years. When he first got it it had bubbles on the roof and it costed him about 800 pounds to restore this. The roof was rewelded at the bad points and then resprayed.

At the moment the car has a few 'new' rust spots on the roof, around the roof gutters again. These are really little spots, I believe less then a cm and with no really bubbles. Should I be concerned to have the roof rewelded and sprayed again or when I'm quick and would grind the rust and paint it, it'd be alright?

The garage told me they've rewelded the sills beneath the doors so they're okay again.

There's no info about the head gasket but the previous owner assured me the engine doesn't take any coolant or oil. Could I expect the head gasket to go soon anyway with this mileage?

And he told me one thing that isn't working alright. The mirror adjusting switch doesn't always work and the mirrors won't auto fold anymore. Is this an easy fix?

Besides this the car has lots of bills with it, the brakes are all new, tires are really well etc.

It has the grill sprayed gray but the OEM orange grill comes with it.

Do I have to check for other places were rust can live? ;-) What other things should I look for?

I believe that besides the head gasket the engine is pretty solid and the car also is besides the rust 😈 ;-)

Thanks for your info guys!

This is the link to the (dutch) ad:
Rover 200 -serie 200 BRM Limited Edition 147pk Tweedehands auto, Benzine, ? 2.450,- occasion in 'T HARDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 06:40
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Looks a clean one from the pics. If the CHG is not giving a problem then don't worry. Rust is a pain, it takes time/ money to deal with (could you use this to negotiate the price down?). Apart from the roof gutter, wheel arches are especially prone as well as the front panels due to stone chips. I've seen the hinges on the hatch in a bad state as well. Look at the sills and under the car, does it drive well and does everything work? I guess there are so few of these prices are difficult to judge. Rare car

gnu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 07:06

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
As far as I know the mirrors never auto folded.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 17:15 Thread Starter

Thanks!

The price is certainly negotiable and I'm going to see the car tomorrow. Hope the rust isn't too bad and that I'll drive perfect. Mot is also new so that's also nice ;-)

I'll let you know if I bought it or not!

In England cars a lot cheaper unfortunately the steering wheel is on the wrong side :-p
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:28
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Welcome to the forum

Please, let us know how buying went on!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 Thread Starter

Unfortunately I didn't buy the car. Was a 230 km trip for nothing. :-(

The model is lonely so was the interior! But the outside wasnt that nice. The bumper had a lot of marks and also around the car were too much scratches for the mileage I think. That shows a bit how that's taken care of the car.

But if that were the only thing I'd still but it, but the wheel arches, especially on the back on both side were too rusty. On the front the wheel fender had some bubbles. The spot on the roof was bigger then 1 cm I think about 1 by 5 and needed to be welded.

But the worst was when I looked in the gap between the trunk and roof, that was rust rust rust.

I decided to maybe go for a MG ZR but they told me the rust problems are maybe worse with them ;-)
And I'm thinking of a Rover 45 but I don't know anything about there rust problem