Inlet manifold gasket leak? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR
Inlet manifold gasket leak?

Hi some advice please

Drove the car to work the other day, all as normal, after a couple of hours tried to start the car and nothing symptoms of starter motor failure. Changed the starter and still nothing

I tried turn the engine by hand and it was solid, further investigation found spark plug holes on pistons 1 and 2 full of oil, I removed all the spark plugs leads etc and cleaned them up, I need a new rocker gasket. While the plugs were out the engine turned over by hand BUT* loads of coolant is shooting out of number 1 piston.

I've searched around on Internet and it's common for the inlet manifold gasket to leak, my question is, is it common for as much as a cup full of coolant to leak into the piston?

The oil and rocker cover is completely free of mayo.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 13:16

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
It is possible for that quantity to leak past the inlet manifold gasket - the coolant apertures through the inlet manifold at at each end, so any leaked coolant will certainly end up in either number 1 or number 4 cylinder. The inlet manifold gasket is reasonably inexpensive, and fairly easy (if a little awkward/fiddly) to change, so worth trying that for a start.

If coolant is still getting into number 1 cylinder, you will need to go deeper - it will quite likely be coolant leaking past the fire ring which sits between the cylinder liner and the head; this will mean a head gasket replacement, and you won't really know how what's what until the head is taken off and you can measure the liner heights and evenness, and inspect the head face for indentation.

A cracked cylinder liner is another possibility, but this is fairly rare.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 13:34 Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Cheers dude

Head gasket was done about 18 months ago using uprated MLS

I'll pull off the inlet and inspect the gasket also the inlet port should show signs of water contamination? TBH I've had minor coolant loss for a while now and never managed to find the leak. Now I know why lol

Asked the question as I've never actually come across a hydro locked engine before.

Hopefully this is all that's wrong, as it will be a cheap fix 30 or so for inlet and rocker cover gaskets and a set of plugs

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 20:28

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
Did you by any chance have a slight misfire on one cylinder when starting from cold first thing in the morning before the incident with the non start? That would have pointed to inlet gasket.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 22:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.c View Post
Did you by any chance have a slight misfire on one cylinder when starting from cold first thing in the morning before the incident with the non start? That would have pointed to inlet gasket.
Actually yes, sight misfire CEL flashing under load and all ok after about 300 yards driving or on start up just letting it tick over for a minute. Not every day but 3 or 4 times a week. Also very very slight white smoke for the first half mile, just put that down to the cold mornings, it all starts to make sense now

As for the rocker cover gasket, 10nm in the following sequence?

Last edited by steve0011; 07-02-2017 at 11:10.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 17:55

Car: MG ZR Stepspeed
I was about to ask the same question but not knowing where to start. Same symptoms, slight coolant loss, white smoke, sometimes very lumpy on initial start up. Looks like I'll try this before whipping off the head.
Springle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 19:38 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springle View Post
I was about to ask the same question but not knowing where to start. Same symptoms, slight coolant loss, white smoke, sometimes very lumpy on initial start up. Looks like I'll try this before whipping off the head.
Springle.

Just came back to say everything is fine now
Had a bit of an issue with the immobiliser, but after searching here I sorted that too. Total cost of the repair 31 and 20 of that was new ngk plugs. Took an hour or so to do.

Thanks guys for the help