MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Loud knocking coming from the front after lowering

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Landfill 
#1 ·
This one has got me completely.

I fitted a set of Apex lowering springs to my car last week. Immediately on the test drive it was apparent there was a knocking from the NS front. Took NS front leg off again, stripped it down, and checked everything was correct and put it back together again and refitted it back to the car.

I came to the conclusion it was probably the anti roll bar links. Swapped these over this evening for a set of new ones, knocking is still there although not as pronounced, but still clearly evident and still just as annoying.

The strange thing is you can pound it down a bumpy road and its silent, go over one small bump and you get a loud knock. I've had the car up and down on the jack and i've checked everything and nothing seems evident. I cant find any play in anything and the springs are completely under compression and sitting where it should when the car is jacked up so i know the spring isn't moving.

Before i go down the road of replacing all the lower arms and also the tie bar bushes (Have a set of orange polybush ones to go on) is there anything i may have missed?

See less See more
#5 ·
The springs are definitely the ones for the car, MG ZR struts with matching Apex springs. I'm suspecting the issue lies elsewhere if i'm honest, I think its something else. I will hopefully be getting the bottom arms changed over the weekend and will be fitting the polybush tiebar bushes.

If that doesn't sort it the springs will be going back on ebay. The car looks great being lowered but the knocking row really isn't worth it.

The only thing i will definitely do if i go back to stock springs is to refit red/blue springs rather than the blue/blue i had before as it sat too high with them.

#7 ·
Finally removed these crap Atex springs and put the standard ZR springs back on, and hey presto all the banging has gone.

What has been happening is that the top three coils of the springs have been hitting each other when being compressed which is what has been causing the loud knocking, totally ****** off after spending £120 to basically ruin my car. Sure it looked nice but the car drove like a pig and the banging was lets face it embarrassing.

I wouldn't recommend Atex springs, in fact i would warn people from ever buying them. They dont even hold the weight of the car properly.

The back springs are OK but the fronts are a waste of time. To say i'm disappointed is an understatement. I will be taking this up with Atex, but i cant see me having any joy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.