Lower suspension arm bolt STUCK!!! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 16:33 Thread Starter

Car: (Mgf sold)Zr 120
Lower suspension arm bolt STUCK!!!

After the last mot we got advisories for the for the suspension arm bushs. So I ordered some arms and thought, 'this will be nice and easy, probably take me an hour each side'. Well 2 days later I've still not managed to remove an arm, Firstly I had a nightmare getting the ball joint free and now the bolt securing the arm to the sub frame wont come out, it just spins. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If the nut in the sub frame has died does that mean Ill need a whole new sub frame?

Heres a video too

Last edited by Davemgfzr; 07-04-2017 at 16:48.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 19:05
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Heat and penetrating fluid may help. If not a local garage. I couldn't get the track rod ends of my R200 earlier this week (I gave it about an hour trying, but stopped before I ruined the flats). A local garage did the job for a small fee.

gnu
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 19:18 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Heat and penetrating fluid may help. If not a local garage. I couldn't get the track rod ends of my R200 earlier this week (I gave it about an hour trying, but stopped before I ruined the flats). A local garage did the job for a small fee.
Unfortunately I cant take the car anywhere as I mangled the ball joint when trying to split it and the bolt holding the arm to the sub frame is just spinning in both directions so wont tighten back up. as for heat and fluid I'm not sure its going to help as it is already turning. Do you think if I vaporize the bush with a blow torch that will get me anywhere or will it just cause me more hassle?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 19:42
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Aren't you changing the bush anyway? Is there enough access to cut the bolt off and knock it through?

gnu
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 22:24 Thread Starter

Yea i could cut the bolt but it's threaded into the subframe so Id be screwed when it comes to fitting the new arm
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:44 Thread Starter

Finally got this bolt out by attacking it with the blow torch and grinder. Some how it had fixed its self to the steel sleeve inside the poly bush.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 13:21

Car: Rover 25 (05 ), Rover 45 (05)
Pleased to see a result. I hope the captive nut is still serviceable.
I am a fan of lightly coating bolts, thread & shank, with coppaslip or simlar on reassembly to try and avoid problems with any future removal.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 14:42

Glad you managed to get the bolt out. I hope it all works out OK. I am a hgv mechanic and I'll always advocate the use of copper slip. I have had many jobs that have taken hours and hours and hours, usually with the burning gear, because the last person didn't use copper grease. This is a perfect example.
I hope it all goes back together OK
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 16:24
gnu
Supporter

Garages
Good - I hope the new parts slot in ok.

gnu