Major coolant leak - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 10:59 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR 1.4 & Rover 200 1.1
Major coolant leak

Hi All,

Back again :P

I've still got a coolant leak that's been steadily getting worse over the year.

It's been in to MJS 3 times, for 3 different issues, and each time they've looked for the Coolant Leak and can't find it.
Apparently it's had a sniff test done and they are confident it isn't internal. They thought it was one of the coolant hoses which does have sign of dried coolant, but I've checked a few times and it is clearly not that.

I'm losing all my coolant (Max > Coolant Warning light) in under 100 Miles now. I have to drive it for work and am waiting to get it back in to the garage (payday Wednesday!). I've told MJS, it needs to be sorted this time, or I think it's either the end of the road or I'll have to go elsewhere.

I've had a hunt round the engine bay and can't see any visible signs of leaking. I just can't fathom it, to lose that much coolant it should be clearly visible shouldn't it!?

For the last 3/4 months its been running on pure water as I can't afford to replace the coolant as quickly as it's draining.

Any thoughts? Advice? Places to check?

Also, is it POSSIBLE that the water could be leaking in to the cabin? Do the coolant pipes travel in to the cabin for the heater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 11:00 Thread Starter

Also hit a pothole on Friday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161022_143032.jpg (146.2 KB, 12 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 11:19

Car: Rover 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatonator View Post
Hi All,

Back again :P

I've still got a coolant leak that's been steadily getting worse over the year.

It's been in to MJS 3 times, for 3 different issues, and each time they've looked for the Coolant Leak and can't find it.
Apparently it's had a sniff test done and they are confident it isn't internal. They thought it was one of the coolant hoses which does have sign of dried coolant, but I've checked a few times and it is clearly not that.

I'm losing all my coolant (Max > Coolant Warning light) in under 100 Miles now. I have to drive it for work and am waiting to get it back in to the garage (payday Wednesday!). I've told MJS, it needs to be sorted this time, or I think it's either the end of the road or I'll have to go elsewhere.

I've had a hunt round the engine bay and can't see any visible signs of leaking. I just can't fathom it, to lose that much coolant it should be clearly visible shouldn't it!?

For the last 3/4 months its been running on pure water as I can't afford to replace the coolant as quickly as it's draining.

Any thoughts? Advice? Places to check?

Also, is it POSSIBLE that the water could be leaking in to the cabin? Do the coolant pipes travel in to the cabin for the heater?

The expansion bottle cap contains pressure regulation valves and an air intake regulation valve. The purpose is to increase the temperature at which the water will evaporate as steam. The cap can pass a traditional pressure test but still have a fault in relation to cooling down function. So likely explanation is your water is disappearing as steam in a slow trickle as you drive. To loose a liter in 100 miles is not much steam. 5 fix.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-10-2016, 12:50 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
The expansion bottle cap contains pressure regulation valves and an air intake regulation valve. The purpose is to increase the temperature at which the water will evaporate as steam. The cap can pass a traditional pressure test but still have a fault in relation to cooling down function. So likely explanation is your water is disappearing as steam in a slow trickle as you drive. To loose a liter in 100 miles is not much steam. 5 fix.
The thought has crossed my mind, its getting progressively worse.

I have a spare cap somewhere I bought a while ago. Might switch it and see what happens.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-10-2016, 10:42

Yes the coolant pipes do travel into the cabin to the heater matrix, check your carpets under the dash, make sure they are not wet, although I would expect them to be soaked if it is a bad leak. Is your car petrol or diesel? I have known the oil coolers to leak internally too
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-10-2016, 14:57

Also there is a gasket in the inlet manifold that can fail which allows coolant into the engine where it gets burnt off. I would imagine if you can't find any visible leaks then this is I good bet but I would expect the car to run a little rough and steam a bit out the exhaust.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-10-2016, 16:00

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
Can you get a coolant system pressure test done. If done with a cold engine the leak should show up as the coolant cant evaporate. It only needs to be pressurised to 15psi. (The coolant cap operates at 14psi.)
I assume you've checked around the water pump for leaks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-10-2016, 19:52

Car: MK1 ZR 105, and MK2 ZR 105
couple of questions

do you have a lot of steam coming out the exhaust?

does the engine run rough when starting from cold?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 26-10-2016, 09:04 Thread Starter

RE: Heater Matrix, I thought they might.

I do have an internal leak somewhere, but think it's unrelated as it appears to be coming down the passenger side front corner (Up behind the dash near the A pillar)

I'm guessing the pipes don't go over that way?
----

I changed the IMG a few years ago, and then had the Head Gasket done about 1.5years ago which included a new IMG.
It's progressively got worse. The car steams early morning but not too excessive. The car runs fine, but OCCASIONALLY, it doesn't sound "smooth" it does have a slight discrepancy but not really noticeable and possibly just me being Paranoid?

----
I can ask for a pressure test!

Waterpump was replaced with the Head Gasket about 1.5years ago, no visible signs that I can see with my untrained eye and MJS didn't spot anything.

It is a 1.4 Petrol