MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Which MEMS do i have?

5K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  technozen 
#1 ·
Hey Guys. I'm trying to find out what ECU is mounted in my car, since the engine was swapped out of an MGF trophy a long time ago.
I'm hoping it's MEMS3 so I can remap it, but I'm not planning buying an other one if not.

This is sticker info found on my ecu:

FQ1139, MKC103981

And if it's not MEMS3, would it still be mappable in some way?
Thanks alot!

See less See more
#5 ·
Mems2j (that's why I mentioned plug colors) this can actually be swapped to mems 3 with a bit of studying the wiring diagrams and making a adapter loom to connect the two.

With this and a mems 3 ecu and fit a 160 inlet and injection you will turn your 143 into a 160.

With a ZandF as well, a worthwhile and relatively cheap do it yourself Upgrade if you have the patience and skills.

#6 ·
Actually I already have the 160 engine in it. It has been dyno'd to 174bhp and 200nm torque a few years back.
I'm cleaning up the engine this winter so it will hopefully make the same numbers on the next dyno run.

The swap tot Mems3 sounds interesting. But does it pay off? I already have 174bhp so I don't think I can gain a lot more from mapping? Or can I?

#8 ·
The previous owner told me that only the engine has been swapped from 143bhp to 160bhp version. So exhaust, intake, wiring and also ecu have not been exchanged.

If I take a look here : http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/printer-friendly.asp?tid=52799&mid=

Mems2: 1x black connector
Mems2J; 1x black, 1x red connector
Mems3; 2x black connector.

Am I right? Or could this still be a Mems3?

Edit; http://www.ecutechnologies.co.uk/ecus/131_MEMS_2J.php?part=MKC103981
Has the same number as on my ecu so definitly Mems2j

#12 ·
As I said before, the block + head has been swapped out of a MGF trophy 160.
So the engine itself already delivers 160, add a nice catback and airfilter to that and the dyno results sound alot more realistic..
But I'll dyno it again soon, so I have the numbers on paper. 174 was in 2009, so it'll have lost some horses now i guess.
Good ignition and injector cleanup should unleash them again.

#13 ·
I really doubt those figures, cat back and air filter will not give you nearly 35bhp.

The 160 engine on that ecu will just be 143 on the mems 2 ecu. A car back and air filter you might see 10-15bhp.

What happens a lot, people have stuff fitted and the company selling it RR it and give "optimistic" figures.

I may be mistaken, however on paper that engine will only see 150bhp on a good run.

#16 ·
Might do that yes. Will wait for a scrap Zr160 or so.
But first i'll dyno it as it is now, maybe i'm happy with the figure as it is.

offtopic; Found out my car was limmiting at 5500rpm this morning.. Camshaft position sensor wasn't connected :banghead:

#18 ·
Nice John.

I'd like to know the easiest, most plug and play way.
So that would be VVC160 head including alternator and coils, Complete ECU and alarm + fob, an other Lambda sensor, other coolant sensor and some wiring?
What did I forgot?
And if i do it this way, will the MGZR engine loom be plug and play?

#21 ·
I'm not planning spending that much money on this car.. It's just my first car, probably going to destroy it myself anyway.

Besides, I live in the Netherlands, shipping big parts from UK is not worthwhile

Edit; john, is that conversion for VVC? I've read somewhere that VVC might not need the coil packs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.