New clutch, reset or replace cable? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-05-2017, 14:49 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
New clutch, reset or replace cable?

I will be fitting a new clutch kit to the 25 (R65 box) along with driveshaft seals and input shaft seal this weekend and would like to know is it strictly necessary to replace the clutch cable or reset it ?

I have read that there is a chance it can be reset and then re-adjusted to the new clutch, can anyone confirm and provide a method of doing this ?

Any tips on dropping the box on the driveway and changing the clutch and input shaft seal would be appreciated also

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 14:52

I have never changed a clutch on one with a 65 box so I can't give any advice regarding resetting the cable.
If I was you I would buy a new one anyway from a motor factors then at least if you can't reset it you have it, if you do manage to reset it then yet can take it back for a refund.
As for the gearbox I would make sure you have an extra pair of hands you can call upon just in case.
Get some oil because if your like me you will always end up spilling some.
Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 15:33 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have read many issues with fitting an aftermarket cable and people have had to shim them to get correct bite point etc and I dont fancy paying rimmers 40 odd quid for one. Not in a rush to get car back on the road so may do clutch and take it from there.

Bought 2L gearbox oil to go back in and also input shaft seal. Not sure if it is this or rear crankshaft seal that needs replacing though without pulling box off. There is always a drip of oil sat under bell housing and sump is also misted with oil but the drip never actually drops off the car and if wiped will just re-appear. No clutch slippage yet just juddering on first take off and very very high bite.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 21:53

Car: MGTF115 & Rover25 1.4
Clutch cable is self adjusting.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-05-2017, 23:13 Thread Starter

I know... Aftermarket don't seem to adjust properly or enough from what other people have posted. I wanted to know really if the mechanism can be reset on the cable currently fitted.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-05-2017, 11:17
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
When I did a g/b and clutch the old cable fitted back and self adjusted fine. Unless it's damaged, I wouldn't bother replacing it...

Rover 214 Gearbox & Clutch Replacement - Picture Diary - MG-Rover.org Forums

gnu
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-05-2017, 08:56 Thread Starter

OK then I'll refit cable. Went to have a look at your link but isn't working?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 25-05-2017, 12:15 Thread Starter

I refitted the old cable but as the old clutch had worn down and the cable had adjusted shorter to compensate, the cable would have been too tight, bringing the release bearing into play without touching the clutch pedal; this would result in clutch slip.
To close out this thread, this is how I managed to reset and extend the cable which, when re-fitted, self adjusted to the new clutch correctly:

1.Leave the cable attached to the clutch pedal end
2.Get a large screwdriver or pry bar and wrap the end of the inner cable (Gearbox end) round it and get a firm grip
3.Tug the inner cable sharply in the opposite direction to the outer sleeve keeping the cable as straight as possible. You will hear a 'zip' sound similair to doing up a cable tie.
4.Keep hold of the inner cable as if you let go before attaching it to the selector lever, it will self adjust inwards again
5.Once attached to selector lever, the cable will self adjust
6.Check operation of clutch pedal and biting point
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 29-05-2017, 09:58
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good work

gnu