New ZR 160 Owner - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 30-07-2005, 20:16 Thread Starter

Car: 05 MG ZT CDTi 135+
New ZR 160 Owner

I Just bought a Brand new 05 Pre registered ZR 160 for 9500... does that sound good to you ?

Picking up on Friday

One thing im not going to enjoy is the no going under 3000 revs for the first 600 miles thats going to kill me !!

Couple of questions.

Any common faults i should look out for ?

I come from the TF clan ... now they are known for the odd head gasket problem from time to time... is this the same on the ZR ?

How much do you guys \ gals pay for your insurance ?

Im bound to have more when i pick the car up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 11:31 Thread Starter

Wow full of help in this forum !!!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 12:27

Car: ZS180, STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob02111980
Any common faults i should look out for ?
Not on a new car.

Quote:
I come from the TF clan ... now they are known for the odd head gasket problem from time to time... is this the same on the ZR ?
Same engines.

Quote:
How much do you guys \ gals pay for your insurance ?
Totally dependant on circumstances - what are yours?

Quote:
Wow full of help in this forum !!!
Dude, 12 hours? Not all of us stay up all night hitting the refresh key.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 18:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOw2
Not on a new car.

Same engines.

Totally dependant on circumstances - what are yours?

Dude, 12 hours? Not all of us stay up all night hitting the refresh key.
Sorry just used to the TF section which you tended to get a very quick response.
Maybe i have been spoilt

Im 24 with 4 years no claims 3 points ----- 690 sound ok or should i keep searching ?

Last edited by jimbob02111980; 31-07-2005 at 18:23.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 18:59

Car: ZS180, STR
690 sounds all right for a ZR160, especially at 24.. I don't think you'll get much lower but it's always worth putting in the effort with insurance companies. They all try it on; I've had 200 quid knocked off in the past just by phoning up to cancel a renewal!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 20:44

Car: s/e 500 vxr Arctic
Send a message via MSN to dell Send a message via Yahoo to dell Send a message via Skype™ to dell
jimbob that price sounds good to me mate, i paid about 12k brand new in february, but it was not pre registered, yeah stick under 3k revs mate, i did until 1k miles, it will be worth it in the long run, what colour did you choose mate? h/g f should not be a problem, mind you i check all my levels once a week to be safe, it don't take long. good luck with the new zed, oh and don't forget to post a pix soon as. hell i paid 690, 38 years old, 3 points full no claims......i think i should shop around next time
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 21:18
Wak

Car: MG ZS
My wife just paid 8995 for a 05 pre reg 105+.

You have a bargain.

Enjoy! Who cares about insurance with a bargain like that.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 22:21 Thread Starter

Well given the choice i would have liked an Ignition Blue, but alas this was too good to pass up...

They had 2 of them identical... one was a Goodwood Green and the other was Nightfire Red. I originally was going to look at the green but up close it looked a little pipe n slippers... So i plumped for the Nightfire Red. Still not sure tho if i picked the right colour, any opinions ?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 31-07-2005, 23:03

Car: seat leon fr tdi
i got a mk2 zr160 last july, few niggly things but nothing much,
performance is great,
running-in: i did 500miles under 3k then another 500miles under 4k then again under 5k then blew the cobwebs off the rest of it!
insurance: first year tesco insurance (28 3yrsNCD) 900
second year (just started (29 4yrs NCD obviously)) 450 (NOT with tesco - their renewal was 740)

slightly off topic but the significant other has just got a zt cdti in ignition blue veeery nice (even nicer when she lets me have a go!)

now go out there and get it! and have lots of fun in it! ( )
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 00:40 Thread Starter

Out of interest scooby.. what were the niggly things, just in case i get them ill know im not alone then ;-)

500miles under 3k - Jeeez it does 4k at 70mph dosnt it ? does that mean poodling along on the motorway on the drive back from picking it up
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 08:30

Send a message via MSN to dell Send a message via Yahoo to dell Send a message via Skype™ to dell
Quote:
Out of interest scooby.. what were the niggly things, just in case i get them ill know im not alone then ;-)

500miles under 3k - Jeeez it does 4k at 70mph dosnt it ? does that mean poodling along on the motorway on the drive back from picking it up
afraid so jim, i picked mine up from doncaster, and drove 160 miles home at 60mph, 3 hours later i arrived home, hell it was boring and i dare not overtake anything, but i took me girlfriend with me to talk to , so that helps pass the time. nightfire red is AN excelent choice jim, as far as niggles go, i personally have had none, except for having to tighten the accelerater cable.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 16:51

Car: seat leon fr tdi
Quote:

two things really; seat covers, the clip on the front edge breaks, had drivers side replaced twice under warranty (and passenger seat once), but the drivers is going again now and the roof liner dropped down slightly again replaced under warranty, odd rattles every now and again (mainly in the centre console usually round the clock/air vents bit) *wouldn't change it for the world though*

and as for running-in yep its a ballache but better safe than sorry, the other day as a un-scientific experiment concluded it now tops-out in second at 60mph, 3rd at 90mph, 4th about 105-110mph (only hit it once on the m180) and only ever had it to 115mph (oops heavy footed)

not that bothered about booting it now though, had the initial overtake everything bit, then got bored and settled back to watch everyone else get pulled over.

dell> get it from dixons then? or was it one of the other branches of the dixons empire that are round there?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 20:25 Thread Starter

Well im used to a TF so the rattles will be nothing in comparison to that. Just testing myself now to see how long it is before i change the stereo ;-)
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 23:41

Car: MG ZR
Quote:
They had 2 of them identical... one was a Goodwood Green and the other was Nightfire Red. I originally was going to look at the green but up close it looked a little pipe n slippers... So i plumped for the Nightfire Red. Still not sure tho if i picked the right colour, any opinions ?
I had the choice between Goodwood Green and XPower Grey. I went with the "Pipe & Slippers" Green
Nightfire Red is a really nice colour, I had a 214SEi in it, one of my fave ever colours. Damn fine choice and probably the one i'd have made if I had the choice you had

9500? damn.... I paid 14k all in for mine new (with few odds and sods here and there). Yours is a bargain mate!!

Down to niggles, yeah, rattles, things falling off and squeaking. Seats squeak a little every now and again (I've tried dieting but it makes no difference )Door casing came lose on mine, and my rear "door" panel has come loose again even after being "persuaded" back into place about 3 or 4 months ago.

As you're buying new from a dealer, I'd double check that your speed locking is turned on when you take delivery. My dealer had turned it off. When I asked for it to be turned on my passenger door started making strange grinding noises when locking. Basically the central locking motor was shafted. It was replaced under warranty.

Other gripe I had was that only one of the remote plips had a boot release. I got them to change mine so that both remotes had boot release buttons, otherwise if you lost your main set you won't be able to get in your boot!

I saw your other post about the replacement Momo gearknob. The factory fit standard ones are potentially a nasty surprise as I found that the gear knob on the facelift models can actually pull off mid gear change, normally when you're doing a nice quick change from 1st to 2nd. If you're not careful you'll realise too late and think you've caught the gear and crunch, or miss it totally and over-rev in neutral... So, just make sure the gear knob stays firmly in place

Anyway, all said and done, I'd still have another one, I love mine to bits, still brings a grin to my face on the way to work (and yes, its gone by about 9:15).

Break the engine in nicely, its worth knowing that you've done everything to keep it sweet for years to come. I'm not worrying about the HGF issues that you've raised, sure, as nOw2 mentioned, its the same engine but I don't think its as common in the ZR due to the differences in cooling/engine placement (or so my mate tells me)

Enjoy
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 00:18 Thread Starter

Quote:
I had the choice between Goodwood Green and XPower Grey. I went with the "Pipe & Slippers" Green
Nightfire Red is a really nice colour, I had a 214SEi in it, one of my fave ever colours. Damn fine choice and probably the one i'd have made if I had the choice you had
I did however say "close up" from distance with light on it the green gets a plus the green one had a scratch on the bumper.

Ill be changing that gear knob straight away then as it sounds like the kind of thing ide have happen to me. Nice one light up from ebay i recon would look good.

Rattles dont bother me as every car ive had has as long as i turn the music up to mask the sound.... Just waiting to see what stereo they have put in the car as it didnt have one in it when i looked at it.

2 Boot release plips is a must as im always in and out of mine how much did they charge for one of those ?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:16

scooby.....yes it was dixons of doncaster mate.
just had a thought, does anyone have trouble with locking and unlocking the car, i virtually have to stand right next to the car to do this, strange thing is it's the same with both remote controls, so it can't be the batteries surely???? any thoughts? my last two zr's could be unlocked from quite a distance away.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:25

Car: Other Rover
BTW if you are getting the car from a far away place don't use the motorway. Within the first few hundred miles the speed should be modulated, it is not good for the engine to sit at 3k rpm humming away on the motorway. Get the map out and plan some A/B roads.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 14:28 Thread Starter

Yeah its straight down the M2 and the M20 about an hours drive for me, is not really many alternative routes there to be honest without getting lost and ending up on a farm. Just have to take it very easy and vary my speed a bit wont i
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 16:40

Car: Other Manufacturer
As gmax says new engines aren't keen on prolonged static high revs, labouring, and full throttle. Vary it slightly, by accellerating a little every now and again and the motorway should be fine - having said that even if you do stay at 60mph for 5 hours it probably won't be a problem, but the best way is as above.

I did a Mg Trackdayz, which was a promotional thing where you could choose from 30 MGs throughout the range and went full pelt and revs round Rockinghan race track, some hadn't got past 100 miles!!! So its not going to break, it just better to do it gently to give the best optimum performance for the remainder of its life.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 17:13 Thread Starter

Once ive got it home tomorrow itll be mainly town driving for a week which shouldnt be too bad for the engine.

Fitting a nice new sub and amp into it at the weekend. I know i shouldnt tincker too much but i cant help it once i get going