No water from the rear screen washer - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Man in the Car
  • 1 Post By Spudgun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Question No water from the rear screen washer

Hello guys!

As the title suggested it, everything else is working well but the washer on the rear screen of my 2002 Rover 25 1.4.

Pump out of order? washer jet obstructed?

I must add that the tailgate wiper motor is working well, as well as all the features on the windscreen, wipers & washer.

I'm unsure whether there is a twin pump under the bonnet sending water to front & rear washer or two single pumps, one under the bonnet and another one at the back under the tailgate trim.

The Haynes manual shows how to get off the rear wiper motor (12*16 & 17) but doesn't make any comment regarding the pump(s).

As usual, I am curious and willing to learn, but reluctant to intervene without knowing beforehand what to find, what to do and where to go. I'm not skilful enough and I don't want to make a mess of anything.

Thank you for your kind help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:58

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
There are two separate pumps; one for the front, and one for the rear.

The most common causes of the rear washer not working are either a broken washer hose (it breaks where it passes through the rubber boot from body to tailgate), or a blockage. In my experience the blockage may either be in the nozzles on the wiper arm, or may be within the pipe through the wiper motor assembly - in particular at the pivoting elbow where the washer hase attaches to it. There is also a one way valve near that end of the washer hose which may be either blocked or sticking shut.

I use my rear washer only rarely, and consequently often find it has got partially or fully blocked when I do try to use it - it needs regular usage to keep it open and flowing freely.
jensden51 and Dorchester like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 19:10 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Sorted!

Bingo @Man in the Car!

"a broken washer hose (it breaks where it passes through the rubber boot from body to tailgate)"

And I must add: broken long ago!

Sorted!
All is well that ends well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 19:38

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
There are two separate pumps; one for the front, and one for the rear.
but only one tank, under the front offside wing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 20:21

Car: Jaguar X-Type
As documented with my own 25. The pipe broke inside the rubber grommet at the tailgate hinge.

The motor could be heard pumping, but only a dribble came out of the nozzle. Looking under the car. A stream of water could be seen. The water was exiting through a drain vent in the sill. Anyhoo. Onto a solution.

I cut the pipe at the split. I got two joiners and a piece of washer pipe. I then reassembled everything.

Now. Each joiner is at either side of the grommet (One in the body shell. The other in the tailgate). If the pipe splits again. I only have to insert a 6" length!*

* As I'm selling the Rover later this month. I won't have to do it.
Dorchester likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 09:40 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
As documented with my own 25. The pipe broke inside the rubber grommet at the tailgate hinge.

The motor could be heard pumping, but only a dribble came out of the nozzle. Looking under the car. A stream of water could be seen. The water was exiting through a drain vent in the sill. Anyhoo. Onto a solution.

I cut the pipe at the split. I got two joiners and a piece of washer pipe. I then reassembled everything.

Now. Each joiner is at either side of the grommet (One in the body shell. The other in the tailgate). If the pipe splits again. I only have to insert a 6" length!*

* As I'm selling the Rover later this month. I won't have to do it.
Exactly what I did!

But previously I couldn't see any water arriving down to the nozzle, but a puddle on the ground under the left side of the rear bumper.

I took a piece of black rubber sheath protecting a Rover 75 throttle cable I bought by mistake and out of interest for me (cutting the cable), but very interesting as a pipe, because it is much more flexible than the original not so supple pipe and very appropriate in the grommet between the body shell and the tailgate.

I helped the rubber sheath into the grommet with liquid soap because it was a little tight, but just a little.
And I glued the 2 ends of the original pipe into both sides of the rubber part, with a sufficient common covering.

And it works fine now.

Congratulations for your sale to come, @Spudgun!, even a bit sad for me because you were a kind, helpful and very supportive chap among the 25 owners.

BTW, did you noticed my thread about the very truth about my coolant loss?

Coolant loss: the very solution
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:59

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
Hello guys!

As the title suggested it, everything else is working well but the washer on the rear screen of my 2002 Rover 25 1.4.

Pump out of order? washer jet obstructed?

I must add that the tailgate wiper motor is working well, as well as all the features on the windscreen, wipers & washer.

I'm unsure whether there is a twin pump under the bonnet sending water to front & rear washer or two single pumps, one under the bonnet and another one at the back under the tailgate trim.

The Haynes manual shows how to get off the rear wiper motor (12*16 & 17) but doesn't make any comment regarding the pump(s).

As usual, I am curious and willing to learn, but reluctant to intervene without knowing beforehand what to find, what to do and where to go. I'm not skilful enough and I don't want to make a mess of anything.

Thank you for your kind help.
The most likely cause is a blown relay in the SCU which is located under the glove box.

You'll need to take that out and then re-solder on a new relay or get techinzen to do it for you.

I had the exact same problem. There is only ONE water motor in the ZS/ZR so if the fronts are working and the back isn't even making any noise, then it's the relay.

If there is a whirring noise but no water, it's the piping.

5 gets you an upgraded relay which won't burn out.

You can then either put the SCU back or leave it in a more accessible position. In most cases I do the latter because chances are people aren't going to be able to shift the SCU any quicker than you would in any other car, especially if it's been moved somewhere else.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 15:56

Car: Jaguar X-Type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester View Post
BTW, did you noticed my thread about the very truth about my coolant loss?
No I hadn't, but I have now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 20:55

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargatemunky View Post
..........There is only ONE water motor in the ZS/ZR
The 25/ZR does have two pumps (one for the front, and another for the rear), both (as Talkingcars pointed out) situated in a single washer reservoir behind the front bumper.