MG-Rover.org Forums banner

OBD Fault Code Reader advice, please?

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  larrywilkie 
#1 ·
Hope someone can help.

My Engine Warning Light has started to flicker. At first it was rare and spasmodic, usually coming on only from a cold start but soon switching itself off again, once I had traveled a hundred yards, or so.

But now it keeps coming on more frequently, especially when labouring - through carrying a full complement of passengers and/or climbing a hill.

So I thought I could use a Fault Code Reader.

Being strapped for cash, I'm being tempted by the "Stoga U480 CAN-BUS OBD2 ENGINE SCANNER CODE READER canbus OBD 2 Diagnostic Scan Tool" as detailed below (cuz it's very inexpensive). But is it any good and will it work on my vehicle? I haven't the foggiest.

Can anyone help me, please? :smile:

Link here: Stoga

#3 ·
Thanks for replying.

My vehicle details are: Rover 25 IL, 1.6V, 5 Door Hatch, 2001, Manual, Petrol, 1396cc, 62000-miles.

No other lights are exhibiting themselves, just the engine light in the manner described.

Seems the engine doesn't like to be cold but it doesn't like to work very hard either (a bit like its owner :grin:).

Thanks, again.

Bunny

#4 ·
Yeah that code reader should be fine.
It may be you are having a coil pack or something starting to fail but once you get the light read it may help narrow down the fault.
Not loosing any coolant are you as sometimes a failed manifold gasket can flag up the same faults.

#5 ·
I am, as it happens.

Going through about half a litre to a litre each week.

That sounds like it could be my issue but I'll get the OBD anyway cuz it might help confirm it as well as show up any other problems pending.

Thanks so much for your help.:smile:

Bunny

#10 ·
Do you know exactly where the coolant is going? Or is it losing water with no obvious leaks?
Pop the oil cap off and check for any Mayo type deposit under the cap, if there is nothing there and no visual leaks take it to a garage and ask for a pressure test to see if they can identify the leak.
My money is on the inlet manifold gasket. Cheap and OK to change if you don't mind getting involved or not expensive to get replaced at a garage.

#12 ·
Hello all,

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or respond on this one, as it is about the same topic.

I have a Rover 25 1.4 (54 plate) and I also have my Engine Fault light on constantly.

I have bought an OBD scanner, but is a very basic one and doesn't give detailed or model specific codes.

I have got the P0170 code on it which narrows down my fault but is not specific.

Is there a scanner, which won't break the bank, but will give a more detailed description of what my problem is, that somebody can recommend please?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.