PerformancE poor - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-11-2010, 16:33 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 16v
PerformancE poor

I used to suffer this bad until I discovered an inlet manifold leak. I fixed it and it was good for a weak or so and now it's not good at all. Manifold bolts are all still tight and no loss of coolant. However it's very flat and definately underperforming and I'd say a lower mpg (hard to tell though).

If I leave it to idle for a while then it seams it's trying to stall or something. I can hear he shudders of it, but the rev gauge sits fine... I pulled the two spark leads and tested and they are sparking, and spark plugs seam fine also. It doesn't sound like a total misfire just struggling to stay idle (but as I say rev gauge is fine).

Other small symptoms that may help: purge tank (black cylinder) is ticking. Electrics may be bad because when I have lights on and say lock the car or turn indicators on the cars lights purge with it (alternator tested fine to 14.1v when running). Also slight sucking noise from around where I fitted air filter but it is all tightened and throttle body bolts are tight, doesn't seam like anything is wrong to the eye....
Also slight whistle when reving the car above 3k rpm at idle (also noticable wen driving in 1st and 2nd)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-11-2010, 16:42

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothadoth View Post
I used to suffer this bad until I discovered an inlet manifold leak. I fixed it and it was good for a weak or so and now it's not good at all. Manifold bolts are all still tight and no loss of coolant. However it's very flat and definately underperforming and I'd say a lower mpg (hard to tell though).

If I leave it to idle for a while then it seams it's trying to stall or something. I can hear he shudders of it, but the rev gauge sits fine... I pulled the two spark leads and tested and they are sparking, and spark plugs seam fine also. It doesn't sound like a total misfire just struggling to stay idle (but as I say rev gauge is fine).

Other small symptoms that may help: purge tank (black cylinder) is ticking. Electrics may be bad because when I have lights on and say lock the car or turn indicators on the cars lights purge with it (alternator tested fine to 14.1v when running). Also slight sucking noise from around where I fitted air filter but it is all tightened and throttle body bolts are tight, doesn't seam like anything is wrong to the eye....
Also slight whistle when reving the car above 3k rpm at idle (also noticable wen driving in 1st and 2nd)
Not an expert, but sounds like an ECU or injector problem. Although not sure.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-11-2010, 16:54 Thread Starter

When I turn engine off there's a sort of whoosh sound from engine bay if the bonnets up I was told it's normal but I don't think it is. Also it's definately th purge valve ticking as I can hear it start a stop when I unplug an plug it back in

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 Thread Starter

Bump?

I am sat in the car now wth engine on. Idle still fine, but I can feel lumpness. Like shudders through the car. Similar to if the car was trying to stall but less obvious.

Acceleration is still very poor. 3rd gear onwards particular is extremely flat but all gears underperform
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 Thread Starter

Just checked plugs. Number 4 plug has a gap twice the size of the others. But it still sparks. Does this matter??
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 16:07

Car: Rover 214 i 8v '98
your cars fallin to bits with the problems you have lol, first the heater and now under powering lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 16:22

Car: Focus TDCI
Quote:
Just checked plugs. Number 4 plug has a gap twice the size of the others. But it still sparks. Does this matter??

I thought that all plugs should have the same gap on your car, Not sure what the complications would be though, possibly rough idling?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 16:59 Thread Starter

Tell me about it I've had enough of my car. Stupid rovers always break.
It's never over with a rover!!

I changed the plugs. Thought it may have made a difference but no. Especially 3rd gear upwards when you hit the power band 3k+ revs it doesn't boost up or anything it just stayed flat and sluggish.

God help me with what ever hill I go up, I really have to drop the box and boot it some to stay with traffic.

Question:: i've worked out I can't put fault code readers on my car. But would a diagnostics test do any good? I mean what do they acctally test for in diagnostics? Will it flag up problems like overfueling etc or just sensors?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 17:06

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Quote:
Tell me about it I've had enough of my car. Stupid rovers always break.
It's never over with a rover!!

I changed the plugs. Thought it may have made a difference but no. Especially 3rd gear upwards when you hit the power band 3k+ revs it doesn't boost up or anything it just stayed flat and sluggish.

God help me with what ever hill I go up, I really have to drop the box and boot it some to stay with traffic.

Question:: i've worked out I can't put fault code readers on my car. But would a diagnostics test do any good? I mean what do they acctally test for in diagnostics? Will it flag up problems like overfueling etc or just sensors?
Who says you can't put fault readers on your car? It should be OBD2 compliant.
I think you should read this:

http://automon.donaloconnor.net/mgsr...complient/120/

Last edited by ashy; 01-12-2010 at 17:25.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 17:30 Thread Starter

There should be a thread I made on this forum earlier called OBDII. Apparently the 2000 models weren't compatible. I'll read that now