MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Post gearbox change woes!

577 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Levaz 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I've just swapped the gearbox over on my wifes 105 and now I'm getting a few issues.

The reason for the change was due to the lower dogbone / support bar snapping, causing the gearbox / engine to twist, popping out a driveshaft and losing all its oil.

It also jammed into first gear and wouldn't come out.

I've now replaced the box and clutch with an R65 (same as came out) and the lower mount has been pinched off of my IB5'd ZR (I have 2 other cars, so mine can sit for a few days), and when flicking through the gears it's fine, until you hit reverse. Now the selector plate on top of the box catches on the body / subframe across the back of the bay and it won't come out of gear.

Just to add to my misery, the car is refusing to start. Like not even attempting to,
Turn the key and there is a single click from the starter area. I was convinced this is due to missing an earth lead when I fitted the new box, but after testing it with a jump lead and getting the same result, I'm now not so sure.

All help is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Refit the earth strap before getting too worried. It needs to be a really good connection.

Are you sure the mount you have swapped on is the same as the one that was originally there?
Has something got bent when the original mount failed that is now fouling the gear linkage?

#3 ·
Refit the earth strap before getting too worried. It needs to be a really good connection.

Are you sure the mount you have swapped on is the same as the one that was originally there?

Has something got bent when the original mount failed that is now fouling the gear linkage?

Will have another look at the earth strap, i thought it would be something simple like that.

The mount fitted was from an ib5'd zr.
Turns out, they look identical, but the ib5 version is 20mm longer where it counts, so the whole engine is slightly off kilter and thats causing the interferance!

#4 ·
Update.

Replaced the IB5 mount with an R65 one, everything lined up perfectly. Tried to start it, still nothing.

My mate came round to cast a spare eye over it, poked the starter cable to make sure it was tight, suggested a jump start and it fired...... Before i'd connected the 2nd jumper cable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.