Project drag race sleeper ZR/R25 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JOHNDQ

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 20-03-2017, 10:04 Thread Starter

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Lightbulb Project drag race sleeper ZR/R25

Hello just to let you know about my latest stupid idea. As most that come here know ive almost finished my ZR i have been building for the 750 Motor Club's Hot Hatch race series which i should be racing in next year (2018) Anyway a few weeks ago i went to Santa Pod with said ZR and i got hooked, a few years back i used to run in the Street Car Challenge with my Mitsubishi Evo 7 RS Sprint (car no CC1975) before moving over to trackdays then onto circuit racing but i really fancy running a ZR or R25 in the SCC again.

So back to this project and this is the plan....

1. A ZR or R25 3 Door without sun roof using fibre glass tailgate and bonnet, Polycarbonate windows, everything that can be removed will be.
2. 160 engine fully lightened and balanced with full Piper ARKBP320 cam conversion with solid lifters and EP strengthened engine block , forged rods, high compression pistons, ported large valve head, Jenvey large 48mm throttle bodies, Janspeed manifold, EP 3.5KG flywheel, race fuel system, Bosch motorsport injectors, Emerald K6 ecu with full throttle gear change.

Last weekend made a start went and got a engine/ gearbox out of a Lotus Exige 111S with 48k. Only using the cylinder head and box from it tho the block with be rebuilt as spare for the race ZR....

Getting it all stripped down and checked, pleased to see seller was honest the engine has never had HG failure....

Head all stripped, checked and off for hardness testing before porting etc....

All the VVC parts ready for Ebay....

Hope no one got bored reading it On paper engine should be at least 250bhp but will have to wait and see on that front. Not really got a time frame for it all due to it taking second place to the other ZR but want it done within 2 years which should be just about achievable fitting it went when can between other cars and family life with a 7 and 5 year old kids Will had to tell them holidays and days out will be at a minimum for now :o
Chris T and Dorchester like this.