MG-Rover.org Forums banner

radio reception

353 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
both of our ZR's seem to suffer with radio reception in that it wont pick up many FM channels [no problem with BBC channels], is anyone elses like that?

can the aerial be unscrewed and another [better] one fitted? or does it come as part of the base?

#2 ·
The aerial can be unscrewed, but from past comments on this and other forums, most people who have swapped to an aftermarket aerial have found the reception poorer than with the OEM one. The ZR aerial is significantly shorter than the one fitted to the Rover 25 - it might be worth trying one from a 25?

I must admit I have always had a little difficulty getting original fit Kenwood head units to find some FM channels. Mind you, I had similar trouble with the VDO unit originally fitted in my current ZR, but it got there eventually. Most head units are supposed to search with increasing sensitivity to signal strength with each successive search across the band, so with several passes across the whole bandwidth, it should eventually find the weaker signals too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.