Replaced my stretched clutch cable today, now getting ridiculous Clutch Slip. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 12:12 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 BRM LE No: 793, Rover 200 BRM LE Track K Turbo.
Replaced my stretched clutch cable today, now getting ridiculous Clutch Slip.

I set about replacing my clutch cable today, the old cable had a cracked (blue) bit as was moving up and down the cable meaning it was extremely notchy to get in gear an on a couple of occasions I could not get it out of gear.

I replaced it today with one from a motorfactors.

The issue now seems to have gone the opposite way, now when depressed the gear change is lovely and smooth, the bite point is however right at the top of the peddle, and when accelerating the clutch has been slipping like nothing I've ever experienced. It would appear that it isn't being released enough?

Could my arm be seized?

The clutch & release bearing are about 15k old, I've heard they are auto adjust, is there anything I need to do to get it to adjust properly?

PG-1 Gearbox on a BRM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 12:43

Car: Rover 200 Track car 180BHP, MK2 MG ZR-T16
The cable is auto adjust and can be adjusted by pulling lever opposite direction, as for slipping clutch due to siezed arm, well you could get someone to operate it and watch the arm or when driving there will be loads of slack in the pedal and cable when it's slipping.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 13:06 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 BRM LE No: 793, Rover 200 BRM LE Track K Turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengy_666 View Post
The cable is auto adjust and can be adjusted by pulling lever opposite direction, as for slipping clutch due to siezed arm, well you could get someone to operate it and watch the arm or when driving there will be loads of slack in the pedal and cable when it's slipping.
What lever Pengy?

No slack at all really other than usual, as soon as you touch the clutch it starts to disengage it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 14:19

Car: Mini (The real one)
Where it comes out into the engine bay, give it a tap with a spanner and move the spring up and down. If it's still doing it, you may want to look into the adjustment height of your clutch pedal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 31-01-2014, 21:23

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Undo the cable and see if the clutch arm moves freely up and down. IF not then it may well need lubrication (or a gearbox removal to sort fully)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:38

Car: MG ZR160
Send a message via MSN to Popeye 89
Stupid question, is the cable secured properly or caught on anything? That would create what youre experiencing.