Rover 25 K16 Timing belt - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Man in the Car

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 14:34 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
Rover 25 K16 Timing belt

Hi all,

(Background- Bought a Rover 25 1.4, which recently had new headgasket done by previous owner however, the original timing belt was refitted which is 13 years old and 53k (Silly and half of a job I know!)

I have started the task of replacing the timing belt myself and I am having trouble getting everything lined up.

It would appear that which ever 1diot put the belt back on, has timed everything up from the crankshaft being set using using the TDC line on the lower casing (Last of the multiple lines) rather than 90BTDC at the 12 o clock position on the engine.
I think this because I can only get the inlet and exhaust sprockets to line up correctly when the crankshaft cog is lined up with TDC and when alined with 90BTDC, the inlet and exhaust sprockets are out by a mile.
The engine has been running fine with no misfires just a slight judder when the engine is cold and the engine seemed quite flat with no urgency....

My question is..... If I align the bottom crankshaft cog to the 90BTDC mark on the engine, providing that this doesnt move, is it then safe to turn the inlet and exhaust sprockets freely and get them aligned to --Ex o In- -Ex o In--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 19:29
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Head must be on or liners held in place. Line up to how it should be and turn carefully by hand and you will be fine. If it starts to lock up stop and check - don't force.

gnu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 19:48
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Oh and turn crank carefully by hand for a few turns when the belt is fitted checking it feels right and nothing is binding/ locking.

gnu

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 20:13

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
My question is..... If I align the bottom crankshaft cog to the 90BTDC mark on the engine, providing that this doesnt move, is it then safe to turn the inlet and exhaust sprockets freely and get them aligned to --Ex o In- -Ex o In--
The simple answer - yes. With the crank pulley timing mark aligned with mark at 12 o'clock on the timing cover or engine casting, the pistons will all be in the safe position halfway down the liner bores. You can safely move the cams as you need to with them held there.

You may also find the following thread useful for information regarding K series timing: K4 Cam Timing Marks and Belt Tensioning - (simplified thread)

Welcome to the forum
**Kayleigh** likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:41
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
The simple answer - yes. With the crank pulley timing mark aligned with mark at 12 o'clock on the timing cover or engine casting, the pistons will all be in the safe position halfway down the liner bores. You can safely move the cams as you need to with them held there.

You may also find the following thread useful for information regarding K series timing: K4 Cam Timing Marks and Belt Tensioning - (simplified thread)

Welcome to the forum
This ^^^^

Welcome aboard!

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-05-2017, 15:18 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
Thanks to all for your replies, I didn't think I had any responses as my notification was turned off!. I have been a member for a few years back to when I owned a 214 wedge, 216 Coupe and a ZS! I am now an owner of a Leon Cupra however, I couldn't help but persuade the partner to get the 25 to learn to drive in

Anyways, cambelt successfully replaced and timed up correctly and all has been great since apart from the belt making some slight supercharger sound on acceleration in 1st gear mainly. I have had it off again since and torqued everything to spec so I know for sure the belt is not too tight but I have read that the Conti belts can have a different tooth profile which can make this sound.