Rover 25 tail lights not working - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 15:27 Thread Starter

Car: Other Manufacturer
Rover 25 tail lights not working

i am 200 miles away and trying to help my daughter work out why her tail lights are not working. Bulbs are ok, clock works and front side lights work. i dont think front fog lights are connected. This i think rules out fuses 8 and 12 which according to her handbook in the drivers "footwell" are the right fuses. They have tugged the wires one one of the plugs on the back of the light cluster but non pull out. They have bent up the centre connection that contacts with the bottom of the bulb. this is a 1.4 52 plate.

anything else i should check?

thanks 2006cdt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 15:58
Supporter

Car: 1989 R0ver 213.
Hi, check the wires between tail gate and body, wires broken here is a common problem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:15 Thread Starter

thanks. I discounted the tail gate as the light cluster is in the body.
which wire or wires on the tail gate could be the problem?

2006cdt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:27 Thread Starter

apparently everything on the tail gate works but i'm not sure they checked the heated screen

2006cdt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:28
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
You've checked whether the bulbs are OK? Sounds like you've changed the applicable fuses. If still no joy I'd waggle the wires at various points whilst someone is watching the lights to try to trace a loose connection. Don't discount the tailgate loom as shorts and broken wires here can cause all sorts of probs. Btw, good luck...

gnu
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:53 Thread Starter

thank you, yes the bulbs were tested and ok.
as everything on the tail gate works although not sure about heated screen I'm lost as to what could be wrong on the tail gate. Wiggle wires, good idea.

this is so difficult for you and me as we don't have the car in front of us

2006cdt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 16:57 Thread Starter

of the two contacts on the bulb, which is earth? The one on the side of the bulb or the one on the bottom of the bulb?

2006cdt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:31

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006cdt View Post
.....I discounted the tail gate as the light cluster is in the body.
Don't automatically discount the tailgate wiring; there is a link between the tailgate electrics and the rear light clusters - namely the high level stop lamp cluster. I've have had the situation in the past where bare wires in the tailgate loom caused the high level stop lamp to illuminate instead of the rear position lamps (neither of which lit up at all, although the front side/position lamps worked normally). Electricity is like me - very lazy, and will always take the easiest route

It is well worth checking anyway - if it hasn't been inspected or repaired for a while there is a good chance there may be damaged wiring which may cause a future problem, even if itproves not to be causing your current issue.

The rear position lamps are separately wired and fused separately - one circuit operates the nearside position lamps (both front and rear), and the other operates those on the offside. If both sides are inoperative, or either/both the rears don't work, but the front ones do work, it is likely to be a wiring problem at the rear.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 20:03 Thread Starter

i wont discount the tail gate as this is the advice on where to look.

2006cdt