temp issues! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 11:11 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25 1.8 GTI VVC
temp issues!

Right, I have a rover 25 gti vvc

i brought it a couple of month ago with the heater controlls not working, got them fixed so i got warm air blown into the cab. this opened up another issue of the engine over cooling, replaced the thermostat which was stck in the closed position but the previous 'bodger' drilled holes in the outer rim so coolan continuously (sp) flowed through the system, replaced the stat and housing, the reservoir cap wasn't holding pressure and the water kept boiling and coming out the reservoiur so that was replaced. this solved all my cooling/heating issues for the whole of one day. now after abit of ambitious driving the gauge keeps going to the top, but not quite the red. the engine will remain at about the right temp if i set at 50mph at 2k rpm but soon heats up if i go any faster. I know the rad is in need of replacement as it has gone green and rusty and started to disintegrate round the edges, and she looses abit of water somewere. my coolant also has a nasty smell about it, of car fumes and petrol. is this a sign that my head gasket is on the verge of blowing? there is no mayo yet in the oil or coolant, and there is no air traped in the system has it has been blead a couple of times to make sure.

sorry for the loooooooooong essay.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 11:28

Car: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourneyo View Post
Right, I have a rover 25 gti vvc

i brought it a couple of month ago with the heater controlls not working, got them fixed so i got warm air blown into the cab. this opened up another issue of the engine over cooling, replaced the thermostat which was stck in the closed position but the previous 'bodger' drilled holes in the outer rim so coolan continuously (sp) flowed through the system, replaced the stat and housing, the reservoir cap wasn't holding pressure and the water kept boiling and coming out the reservoiur so that was replaced. this solved all my cooling/heating issues for the whole of one day. now after abit of ambitious driving the gauge keeps going to the top, but not quite the red. the engine will remain at about the right temp if i set at 50mph at 2k rpm but soon heats up if i go any faster. I know the rad is in need of replacement as it has gone green and rusty and started to disintegrate round the edges, and she looses abit of water somewere. my coolant also has a nasty smell about it, of car fumes and petrol. is this a sign that my head gasket is on the verge of blowing? there is no mayo yet in the oil or coolant, and there is no air traped in the system has it has been blead a couple of times to make sure.

sorry for the loooooooooong essay.

Dan
Two things, could be inlet manifold (easy fix) or HGF (bad fix), the only really way to test is pressure and block test (coolant)

perks68
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 12:06

Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140 Highline
Dan,
sorry but I think some crafty sod new the HG was going and sold it on rather fix it. Get it pressure checked first before replacing it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 12:34 Thread Starter

Just rang a local garage, it is going in for a pressure test in an hour. spose on the bright side if the head gasket does need doing i can get the belt, tensioners and may as well do the water pump at the same time, dont know when they were last done! an being at college doinf motor vehicle i can have a crack at it my self!

Dan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 13:26 Thread Starter

How hard is it to change the head gasket and set up the timing on a VVC, it is my head gasket tht has gone
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 13:57
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
Overheating is not really a sign of head gasket failure on a K series - see How To.... Diagnose a K Series Head Gasket Failure

From your description, I would say that the radiator is blocked. From all the other bodges you have found on the car it may be that it is filled with some sort of system sealant.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 14:03 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
Overheating is not really a sign of head gasket failure on a K series - see How To.... Diagnose a K Series Head Gasket Failure

From your description, I would say that the radiator is blocked. From all the other bodges you have found on the car it may be that it is filled with some sort of system sealant.
The garage i took it to put a bottle over the expansion tank with a blue liquid in it and got me to run the engine, if it stayed blue it was a different fault, if it went a manky green it was exhaust gasses in the coolant, therefore HGF.

it went green

Dan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 14:10
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
Those tests don't work very well as I mentioned in the post referred to above.
You are much better to look at the condition of the fluids and consider the symptoms you are getting.

If it was leaking gas into the cooling system as this test suggests, then the Rover cooling system quickly develops an air lock. However, it could be reading positive due to oil in the coolant. If this is the case, you will see contamination with creamy mayo scum. Or it could be reading positive due to something else in the coolant.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 14:35

Car: Civic Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourneyo View Post
How hard is it to change the head gasket and set up the timing on a VVC, it is my head gasket tht has gone
Buy Haynes, Week off college, Fix car, JD you have my help if you need it

Your Dear friend Rick
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 15:00

Car: Astra SRi 1.9CDTi 150 Sport Hatch
Send a message via MSN to Shammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
Buy Haynes, Week off college, Fix car, JD you have my help if you need it

Your Dear friend Rick
I'm pretty sure they don't do a hayens manual for the VVC mate.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-01-2010, 15:17

Car: Civic Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't do a hayens manual for the VVC mate.
Bit *****, but then again we are both college mechanics so shouldnt be a problem

Rick
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-01-2010, 11:47 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
Those tests don't work very well as I mentioned in the post referred to above.
You are much better to look at the condition of the fluids and consider the symptoms you are getting.

If it was leaking gas into the cooling system as this test suggests, then the Rover cooling system quickly develops an air lock. However, it could be reading positive due to oil in the coolant. If this is the case, you will see contamination with creamy mayo scum. Or it could be reading positive due to something else in the coolant.
where abouts would the air lock form? when ever the temp gauge begins to rise the hot air blowers turn cold. the coolant is quite clean, a cleaning chemical has been thrown through, then it had frash coolant put in, then it had fresh coolant when the thermostat was changed.

Dan