Are these the right Brake Discs? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 23:53 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZR
Are these the right Brake Discs?

I am going to replace both discs on front of my car but are they the right ones?
Link #1
Eicher Premium
Link #2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eicher-Pre...MAAOSwymxVJ-mb

I ask this as some listed online are 239mm width and others are 269mm

Will I need to buy anything else like screws or will the current ones be ok?

My car is a 2003, MGZR, 1396, 105 Petrol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:23

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Not if your car has the standard factory fit front brakes - on the 1.4 engined 25/ZR they should be 262mm solid discs.

However, a good many owners have in the past upgraded to either the 262mm vented set-up from the ZR 120 (which require a different caliper from the solid discs), or more commonly to the 282mm vented discs and calipers from the ZR160/ZS180.

If you are unsure, I would suggest having a wheel off and measuring the diameter of your current discs and checking to see if they are solid or vented before ordering any new ones.

The 239mm discs you have seen are for the rear of the ZR/ZS 120, and the 269mm ones are for the rear of the ZR160/ZS180.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 15:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

so are these ok?
Link #1
Eicher Premium
Link #2
Eicher Premium Front 262mm Solid Brake Disc - Rover 25, 45 200, 400 Series & MG | eBay

If these are ok do i need to buy additional screwes to replace the old ones?

ps.
everything on my car is standard factory fitted

Last edited by dingodoo; 01-05-2017 at 16:01.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 20:55

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Yes, those are the right ones for the standard set-up on the 1.4 engined cars.

New countersunk screws are not expensive, so perhaps agood idea to have some replacements available, but their only function really is to hold the disc in place when the road wheel isn't fitted. When the wheel is fitted and the wheel nuts tightened, the wheel itself will trap the disc against the hub (some poeple don't even bother fitting the screws).

I usually find the old screws come out fairly easily and without damage by loosening them with a basic impact driver similar to this one: 5pc Impact Screwdriver & Socket Driver Set & Case Mechanics Stuck/Frozen Screws.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 21:10 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Yes, those are the right ones for the standard set-up on the 1.4 engined cars.

New countersunk screws are not expensive, so perhaps agood idea to have some replacements available, but their only function really is to hold the disc in place when the road wheel isn't fitted. When the wheel is fitted and the wheel nuts tightened, the wheel itself will trap the disc against the hub (some poeple don't even bother fitting the screws).

I usually find the old screws come out fairly easily and without damage by loosening them with a basic impact driver similar to this one: 5pc Impact Screwdriver & Socket Driver Set & Case Mechanics Stuck/Frozen Screws.
I will get a mobile mechancic to replace them, i will just get the parts for them to fit, so if screws not needed then will be easier. I already have the pads so need to get the discs as got an advisory last year for mot and they are rusted so best to replace them as mot due in june.