Where the **** is the EGR Valve on my 1.4 105? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 09:14 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR
Where the **** is the EGR Valve on my 1.4 105?

Hi guys.

On my 54 plate 1.4 petrol ZR I have a P0300 fault code on my OBDII readout, random misfire. The car starts on the key first time, but as soon as I pull up to the junction 200 yards away it cuts out. It also has dropped in performance so much that it wouldn't now pull the skin off a rice pudding. I have swapped coil packs around after changing spark plugs and changed the lambda probe. I want to remove and clean the EGR valve but I'll be buggered if I can find it!

Any help, pictorial or otherwise, would be most appreciated.

Ta much.

Phil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 17:28

Hi, as your car is petrol it won't have an egr valve fitted. This is for the diesels to help with emissions.
How is the car running? Does it have a misfire. I know you said it starts on the button but does it make any strange noises or lights on?
When you swapped over the coils did it run any different.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 14:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsto View Post
Hi, as your car is petrol it won't have an egr valve fitted. This is for the diesels to help with emissions.
How is the car running? Does it have a misfire. I know you said it starts on the button but does it make any strange noises or lights on?
When you swapped over the coils did it run any different.
Thanks for the reply. It's sluggish when it eventually goes, until it's at the top end of each gear then it's much better. Changing coils over had no effect. When i'm driving it, if I stop at a traffic light or any other time for over about 30 seconds, the EML flashes repeatedly on and off until I pull off and get up to speed, then it goes off and stays off. I have checked with an OBD reader and it shows code P0300. Random misfire. The fact that it's random and not indicating a specific cylinder; P0301, P0302 etc, seems to say that it's not a fault at the plugs/coils/leads, but somewhere else. It has been suggested that it could be a fuel pump low pressure problem but I have no way to test this.

The book says it should be sub 10 seconds to 60mph, but it's taking almost twice that long. Yesterday I did a TPS reset and that had no effect either. The front lambda has been replaced in the last 1000 miles as has the fuel filter and the spark plugs. The whole thing has me stumped.

Really hoping someone can shed some light.

Cheers. Phil.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 06:46
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
You could try checking and cleaning the flywheel sensor. I assume it is well serviced (filters, plugs etc)?

gnu
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 16:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
You could try checking and cleaning the flywheel sensor. I assume it is well serviced (filters, plugs etc)?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's serviced regularly. Filters (oil, air and fuel) and plugs done in the last 1000 miles. Any chance you can show me where the flywheel sensor is located? It would save me a lot of headscratching.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 19:44
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Arrow

See text and pictures 4/ 5 on this thread.

R214 Ignition system fault finding (without OBDII) coil failure

gnu
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 19:53

The trouble with these engines is because one coil operates 2 spark plugs so it's not possible for the engine ecu to identify an individual cylinder which is at fault.
Does the car lose any coolant or have any other fault. Generally a misfire on these is either a coil fault, a failed manifold gasket which usually causes coolant to leak into the engine or also a failed CHG can cause a misfire. But with either of the gaskets I'd expect it to be losing coolant.