MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Xpower springs ZR160

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Man in the Car 
#1 ·
Does anybody know anywhere that still has these for sale? i've done a google but nothing comes up.

#2 ·
There is nowhere.

The last batch to be made by Eibach were a special order for Power Train Projects at Hinckley, and all were sold (and PTP have now gone out of business).

All you can do is hope that someone has an unused set tucked away that they offer for sale (but it is several years since I have seen a brand new set for sale). The only realistic option is to keep an eye on eBay, Gumtree and around the forums and facebook groups in the hope that someone might be selling a second hand set (but again, I haven't seen any for sale recently). You could also keep an eye in any local to you breakers/dismantlers in case they get a ZR in with them fitted (a very long shot!).

#6 ·
Yes, the AVOs are way harsher than the Eibach/XPowers - the XPowers don't lower as much as the AVOs, but the XPower spring rates are similar to the standard springs. XPower fronts are the same spring rate as the standard springs at 36N/mm, and the rear XPowers are progressive from 23 to 30N/mm (against the standards at 30N/mm), so the ride quality remains as good as (or better than) the factory springs.

I seem to think there are two types of AVOs, and the general opinion used to be that the shorter stiffer ones should only be used if you want a broken back!

#8 ·
The Avo's are not that bad, I run them on my track car with a race seat mounted on FIA weld in floor bars and its ok on the road and I also stuffer with lower back pains. Driving the ZR doesn't cause it to play up where as driving my Evo with Tein lowering springs on factory seats does :grin:

#13 ·
Harsh compared with your Rover 25, almost certainly - Rover 25 spring rates are 25N/mm at the front and 21N/mm at the rear(so a LOT softer than the ZR). The standard ZR springs are pretty harsh over bumps in the road to start with.

However, as the XPower front spring has the same spring rate as for the standard ZR springs, and the XPower rear spring rate is progressive (and starts from a lower spring rate than the standard ZR ones), it means the XPower springs are no more harsh than the standard ZR springs are. Most people who have fitted the XPower springs in the past have commented that if anything the ride quality is improved by the Eibach/XPower springs.

#17 ·
Yes marginally. However as springs sag over time and the front will sag more than the rear - by now - several years later - the difference is going to be virtually nil. Difference as new I think I worked out to be 6mm. After a few years the difference will decrease further (as derv is heavier than petrol and the front will sag more than the rears).

I think I sent 2 sets abroad from the original batch I made that were being fitted to a 160. He knew of the potential height difference but I didn't receive any negative comments from all the sets I sold.

This is what they looked like fitted to a derv

And a side by side comparison just for good measure.

Obviously some may have been used on T16 ZR's too

#18 · (Edited)
Hi,

Interesting to see the pic of a ZR160 fitted with diesel springs as I have been toying with the idea of this for my Road Rally spec ZR160 to give it some lift (especially with the added weight of a 6mm sump guard), but from what you said and shown its only 6mm if you are lucky?
All the "performance" type setup are either the same height or lower! But I want higher for better clearance on the rough stuff.
Considered fitting Streetwise spacers to my existing suspension, but from what I can gather the streetwise only has spacers on the rears so what do they use up front?
the STD suspension is good enough for the lanes on a budget, but road rallying uses a lot of "whites".
What was used on the factory stage rally cars?
Basically I am after a budget method of getting 25-50mm lift but don't want to sacrifice handling too much, i.e. I can only imagine how boating a ZR would be on standard R200/R25 (have owned a a few R25s and 200s some years back).
How stiff is the streetwise suspension?
Sorry for all the questions

#19 ·
Interesting to see the pic of a ZR160 fitted with diesel springs
The pic in the post by E_T_V is of a derv, not a 160 ;)
browke01 said:
Considered fitting Streetwise spacers to my existing suspension, but from what I can gather the streetwise only has spacers on the rears so what do they use up front?
The Streetwise front struts have the lower spring seat higher up the damper casing.

browke01 said:
How stiff is the streetwise suspension?
Identical to the Rover 25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.