ZR 105 immobiliser problem ? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:42 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 v6 2.0 and MG ZR 105
ZR 105 immobiliser problem ?

Our 2005 ZR 105 has an intermittent immobiliser problem . My wife looks after our granddaughter and has to load her into the baby seat in the back of the car . Often , she will unlock the car then spend a minute or two with the back door open whilst she fights the toddler to get her strapped in , When she then gets in through the drivers' door and goes to start the car , it does not start but sounds an internal beeping alarm . This is stopped by pressing the lock button on the fob but can take several attempts . The handbook sort of refers to such an event but is not clear enough ! Is this a proper function of the immobiliser system or do we have a developing problem ? I have renewed the handset battery but no change .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 19:55

On my zr if I unlock it and get in but wait a few mins before I try to start it then it won't start, you get the beeping noise. I have to lock and unlock it on the fob before it will start. I'm not sure if it's meant to do it but it always has since I owned it so assumed it's normal.
Good luck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 20:13 Thread Starter

Thanks for that . Sort of reassuring !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 20:22

Car: Jaguar X-Type
My Rover 25 does exactly the same thing. It's really annoying, but perfectly normal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 20:34 Thread Starter

Thanks again . You're right about the annoying bit !
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:04
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Yeah, normal. My zs immobilliser cuts in annoying quickly, if you fiddle around before starting. It also locks itself if you walk away with the keys. Sometimes too clever for its own good.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 21:17

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
.....Often , she will unlock the car then spend a minute or two with the back door open whilst she fights the toddler to get her strapped in , When she then gets in through the drivers' door and goes to start the car , it does not start but sounds an internal beeping alarm .
It is called passive arming- If you unlock with the fob, and do not open a door within 30 seconds, the car will re-lock and the alarm and immobiliser will re-arm and will need the unlock button on the fob presing again.

If you unlock with the fob and only open a door other than the drivers door, the immobiliser will automatically re-arm after a few minutes. It should normally disarm automatically when you isert the key in the ignition switch and turn it to position II, provided the fob is close to the ignition switch (ie. on the keyring with the ignition key. There is a ring around the ignition barrel which transmits a signal when the key is turned to position II, and this signal stimulates the fob to transmit the 'disarm' signal). Automatic disarming won't happen if more than one of the fobs for the car are close to the ignition barrrel at the time.

If the immobiliser doesn't automatically disarm, you should only need to press the unlock button on the fob to transmit the signal to disarm. In this case, it may be that the ring around the ignition barrel is not functioning, or it may be that the SCU is not recieving the signal. As your fob buttons seem to work OK, I don't think the SCU reciever is being a problem (25s and ZRs with the Pektron SCU do sometimes suffer from water finding its way down the loom from the engine bay and getting into the SCU - the first thing that is comes into contact with is the radio reciever board for the fob signal, and you get no response from using the fob buttons at all).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 08:43
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 1.4 110bhp 3d petrol 2002 MNX 45k ml / Fiat Punto convertible 1995 Bertone 1.6 90bhp
Very clever & useful explanations @Man in the Car.
I wondered why sometimes - actually once or twice a year - I experienced that troublesome alarm. Now I know why. Thank you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-02-2017, 10:56 Thread Starter

Thanks again folks .
I can now understand why it is doing what it does , but suspect something is poorly as inserting the key and turning the ign on does not automatically disarm the thing ; however , the handbook does say this might not work and to then press the unlock button
Silly system or what !