ZR running rough - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 09:53 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR
Send a message via MSN to clydesmith90
ZR running rough

right basically, the car had the head gasket done (again) and is now sat on 1000076 miles, a bit high for an 04 plate i know. it has developed a random fault that i cant put my finger on, sometimes its fine and goes like stink, its the 1.4 by the way, and sometimes it has no go what so ever. when i accelerate it revs up to about 2000rpm then feels like its holding back. i have changed the fuel filter, plugs, checked the coils and leads and they are all fine. i have diagnostic kit at home here and have plugged it in and its come up with 2 faults, oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2 and cam position sensor. i checked the sensors and erased the codes and they havent come back up but its still rough. i unplugged the front lambda sensor yesterday and it seems to run better with it unplugged. could it be both the lambdas are chuffed or could my pre cat be blocked from all the missfiring its been doing? any help would be much apprieciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 11:44
Hobbyist

Car: MGF 1.8i and Volvo C70 Convertible plus a boat that is a moneypit
Wow, a million miles !!!!!!!!!!! Lol

Seriously though. The lambda sensor 2 is probably recording high oxygen levels because of the rough running.
The cam position sensor is a bit more worrying. It sounds like the timing is out or the sensor is faulty - Can you check the timing yourself or take it back to where the hg was done.
Maybe take the cam sensor out and try and clean it.

The rear sensor only records oxygen levels and does not alter the ecu settings. The front one does change the ecu. I would suggest that you replace it as the hgf will have put all sorts of crap onto the sensor.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 14:08

Car: MG ZR160
Send a message via MSN to Popeye 89
misfiring over a period of time is known to kill cats.

also the lambda could well be faulty. if it runs better without it, chances are its that.

cam sensor....try plugging it in again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 14:32 Thread Starter

I have checked the timing and that is spot on. Have also removed and cleaned the cam sensor. Its started running rough again even with the front lambda unplugged :s ijust plugged it back in now and its coming up with P0135 02 sensor bank one sensor one as I would expect it to as its unplugged and P0130 02 sensor bank one sensor one. So you think it could be that sensor faulty? I'll plug it back in and try it and see how she goes
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 14:34 Thread Starter

Sorry not a million miles lol its now on 100133
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-08-2012, 16:05
Hobbyist

Po130 relates to the oxygen sensor circuit and po135 relates to the heating element circuit. The fact that you get both of these is due to unplugging the unit.
However, the sensor itself is very sensitive to missfires (as mentioned above) and coolant that you probably fired through the exhaust system when your hg failed.
As long as you are not losing any coolant now, I would suggest replacing the front sensor, recheck the leads, plugs and electrical connections and see if that fixes it. Do not worry about the rear sensor yet - it will have no effect on the operation of the engine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-08-2012, 19:03 Thread Starter

right, i have changed the following, front O2 sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, throttle position sensor, map sensor, coil packs x2 and leads x2 and fuel filter. it is still holding back and i am lost with where to look, it gets plugged into diagnostics and it comes up with no codes at all anymore. have also replaced both pre cat and main cat and still no better. really have no idea which way to turn now. any ideas would be much appreciated
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-08-2012, 20:28
Hobbyist

Running out of ideas myself ......
Have you checked the breather hoses?
Clean plugs?
Injector cleaner?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-08-2012, 20:33

Car: yellow !!! zr
can your diag kit show you what the coolant temp sensor is showing ? weve had some cars in where the coolant temp sensor is all over the place and it causes problems
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-08-2012, 21:40 Thread Starter

yeah its had new plugs and redex fuel system cleaner through it. i have changed both coolant temp sensors too :s the alternator is whining but is charging fine. only thing i can think of now is ecu. is that a possibility??
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-08-2012, 21:41 Thread Starter

oh the breathers are fine too