2002 Rover 45 Rear Wiper Issue (Relay?) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 14:10 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
2002 Rover 45 Rear Wiper Issue (Relay?)

Howdy guys (and gals)!

I've got a rear wiper that isn't working. It's firmly secured to the spindle. The washer jet works (both up and down on the switch.) There's no relay sound when I activate then. The wiper motor makes no sound. The wipers don't move.

I checked the fuse box and manual and the fuse for the rear wipers seem to be used for multiple things (such as the rear view mirror adjustment) which all work fine.

Considering I don't hear the relay when I turn the wipers on, my next thought is that the relay has failed. I did some googling and found (on this lovely, useful forum!) that it's green and located behind the centre console, on the right hand side.

I know some basic electronics, but lack practical experience really. So, my questions are:
- Is it safe to assume the fuse is fine, considering everything else it fuses is fine?
- I removed the fairing below the steering wheel and had a look around. Didn't see the relay. Do I need to remove the centre console fairing to get to it? Am I looking in the right place?
- Can I test the relay somehow to see if it indeed failing? I heard mention of pin 4 somewhere, but I'm unsure what that refers to exactly (pin on the relay? The plug to the rear wiper? And which pin is pin 4?)
- Are there any other suggestions as to what the problem can be, given the symptoms?

Thanks!
Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 16:43
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
If other elements conected to same fuse are working, then the fuse is fine and problem might be sowhere else.
However in all this proces you have several fuses to check, not only one, so I would advise to check all these fuses first.
Fuses under steering wheel are: number #13 -15 amps, #15 - 10 amps and #27 - 20 amps
Fuse in the engine compartment fusebox is number #5 - 10 amps

Regarding the position of this relay, it is just next to fuel cut of switch. Try to locate fuel cut of switch and relay should just next to it.

Relay can be tested with ohm-meter to measure conectivity but you will need source of 12V in order to see if relay engages when it should. Electrician could be able to test it, but for you as a novice, as you said, I do not know what to suggest. You could swap it for relay of the same kind for which you know it works and see if there are any chages.

It is hard to say what pin 4 you heard of is reffering at, but I can lucky guess it might be the pin 4 on the connector to the relay which provides earth connection from MultiFunction Unit and by that energizing the relay coil for relay to change its state.

Actualy the best thing would be to measure power on the wiper motor in order to see if it gets power at all and then you know in which direction to go: either problem with motor, or down to wires, relay, MFU or fuse.

Last edited by Roverlike; 20-04-2017 at 16:54.