45 Sports Option? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 Thread Starter

Car: Other Manufacturer
45 Sports Option?

I've just bought a nice low miles 45 Connoisseur saloon, silver/ black 75 style heated leather - but with the terrible Coronet alloys. I've been looking at OEM wheels and Google threw up plenty of pics of 45s running on hairpins with Rover centre caps.
'Nice idea' I thought - MG wheels but keep the Rover centre badge. However, when I looked closer, a lot of these cars also seem to have the mesh lower grille too.
So, was there a 'sports pack' 16" alloys and trim option, is it for the V6 only perhaps or have I been duped by more than a few Rover owners with a keen eye for detail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 07:42

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
No, the MG wheels were never offered as an option on the 45, but as you have seen, some owners have fitted them subsequently. The centre caps for the MG Hairpins are the same size as for some of the Rover wheels, so the Rover centre caps can be easily fitted to them.

Not sure what you mean about the grille - both 45 and ZS had a mesh grille, the difference between them being that the Mk1 ZS had a shiny stainless steel mesh whereas the 45 had a black painted expanded metal one. The bumper mouldings are the same, so it is easy to retro fit the MG mesh to a Rover 45 bumper.

There was a version of the V6 engined 45 (the automatic I think), that had a seperate front number plate plinth which lifted the front number plate higher up (to allow better air flow through the grille for cooling) and this does alter the front end appearance slightly, making the lower grille more obvious. I know that several owners fitted this plinth to other versions of the 45 some years ago when the part was still available.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 Thread Starter

Double Post!

Last edited by The Docmeister; 09-03-2017 at 18:27.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 Thread Starter

Having trouble with duplicate posts, but hope this works!

I think you may be on to something with the V6 comments. The pictures I've found do seem to show the plinth mounted number plate you mention.

My car has a black plastic slatted lower grille though, like this version

I've now got my eye on some Gridspokes and am thinking of a later style ZS grille - but keeping the Rover badge obviously - if it fits without modifying the bonnet.

My wife will be mostly driving the car having given up on her Saab (since they are all apparently driven by elderly Jewish gentlemen! According to her vegan Buddhist friend .... )

So I need to do something to lose a bit of the Grandpa image before presenting her new chariot!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 21:27

That's an interesting pic (the first one) and being a genuine Rover press photograph certainly suggests that the stainless lower mesh and the Hairpins were available as an option at least (perhaps the mesh was standard fit on the V6 Connoisseur?).

This has led me to researching a few brochures and paying more attention to the Rover ones than I probably have in the past!

From looking at a 2001 Rover 45 brochure, and a 2001 accessories brochure, it does indeed appear that the Hairpins were available as a dealer accessory fit for the 45 (although in those brochures they are referred to as 16" 'Active' alloy wheels). It shows the standard fit for the V6 Connoisseur in 2001 as being the 16" 6-spoke Cosmos alloys.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 22:21 Thread Starter

The V6 Hairpin option must be the case - here's another one breaking I found near me. Connoisseur by the wing mirrors, V6 badge on the back in another pic and no. plate on a plinth, Hairpins with Rover centre caps. Unfortunately no lower grille to compare...

Thanks for your interest and looking up the options.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 20:42

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
The V6 came with a stainless woven mesh lower grille, which along with the lower splitter and numberplate plinth really boost the presence of the car's front end. Earlier regular 45s usually came with a plastic slatted trim in the lower opening which was substituted for a cheaper expanded black mesh grille on later cars.

The Hairpin alloys were available on the mk2 as part of the Sports Style pack on the Club SE 5dr models that also included a rear spoiler and 1/2 alcantara/leather sports seats.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 13:40 Thread Starter

I hadn't even noticed the splitter on the blue one above!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 16:39

Car: MG ZS 120+ , MG ZR TD, MG TF 135 and MG3 Style.
The original mk1 v6 did come with hairpins as standard. As the v6 didn't last long as a model there are very few about. My Dads v6 had these fitted......they have smaller tyres than the MG ZS.

For the mk2 45 there was the option of a sports pack. This included hairpin alloys, rear spoiler and alcantara interior. My own 45 had this pack fitted.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
The original mk1 v6 did come with hairpins as standard.
I don't have the launch brochure for the 45, but in the 2001 Rover 45 brochure (publication number 5828) - as I posted above, the standard wheel listed for the 2.0 V6 Connoisseur were the 16" Cosmos. The 16" Active/Hairpin is shown in the accessories brochure as being a dealer fit accessory (at 670 fitted). The 14th May 2001 Rover price list (#5829) also shows the Cosmos as standard fit on the V6 Connoisseur.

A 2002 Rover range brochure (#5955) also lists the standard wheel for the 45 2.0 V6 Connoisseur as being the 16" Cosmos.

The other engine versions of the 45 Connoisseur are listed as having 15" Coronet wheels as standard, with the 16" Cosmos as an option on the 1.8 engined models.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 19:33

my dads early v6

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 19:50

my 45 with sports pack

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 20:05

brochures available here

MG-Rover brochures
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 22:34

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
I don't have the launch brochure for the 45, but in the 2001 Rover 45 brochure (publication number 5828) - as I posted above, the standard wheel listed for the 2.0 V6 Connoisseur were the 16" Cosmos. The 16" Active/Hairpin is shown in the accessories brochure as being a dealer fit accessory (at 670 fitted). The 14th May 2001 Rover price list (#5829) also shows the Cosmos as standard fit on the V6 Connoisseur.
This would coincide with the wheels going from Rover 'Active' to MG 'Hairpins' with the introduction of the Zeds. I'd guess it was around the time the 25 GTi was dropped.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-03-2017, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
brochures available here

MG-Rover brochures
Thanks for that, I had hoped that someone would have an earlier brochure - the 45 brochure on that site is almost identical to the one I have, and only slightly earlier, but I see does show the Active as standard on the V6 Connie where mine shows the Cosmos as the standard wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
This would coincide with the wheels going from Rover 'Active' to MG 'Hairpins' with the introduction of the Zeds. I'd guess it was around the time the 25 GTi was dropped.
I think that is quite likely - they would have dropped the 16" Active from the 45 V6 when the Zeds were launched, and renamed them Hairpins (probably to disguise the fact that they weren't a new wheel specially produced for the MGs. Of course, most of the ZR bodykit wasn't newly designed either......