Air con compressor not coming on - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 19:08 Thread Starter

Air con compressor not coming on

Hi guys

So only got the car this week. So no idea on it's history with regards to aircon recharge. But when I press the A/C button, I cannot hear the compressor kicking in. Also can't visually see it running.

Could this be something as simple as just needing a re-gas? I read somewhere online that the compressors will not function if the refrigerant is too low. To avoid damage.

Or could be something more expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 19:23
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
When you pressed A/C button, you also turned rotating switch of blower to one of speeds 1 or 2 or 3... in prder to see if the A/C will engage?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 19:33 Thread Starter

Hi Roverlike, I had the fan on position 1. With the engine off, I have trying seeing if the compressor clutch will turn by hand. It does, so can't be sized or anything

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 19:40
Rover Lifestyle

Then it could be that you need re-gasing as clutch will not engage if there is no gas in order not to destroy compressor.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 19:57 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Then it could be that you need re-gasing as clutch will not engage if there is no gas in order not to destroy compressor.

Thanks, that is kind of what I had hoped to hear. As in, at least there is hope before looking at expensive parts.

Do all A/C compressors shut off if pressure is below a set level?

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 20:02
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.mas87 View Post
Thanks, that is kind of what I had hoped to hear. As in, at least there is hope before looking at expensive parts.

Do all A/C compressors shut off if pressure is below a set level?

They should as far as I know.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 20:07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
They should as far as I know.

Re-gas it will be then, hope none of the seals or pipes have gone bad through lack of lubricant.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 21:14

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Is the interior fan working correctly under speeds 1, 2 and 3?
Or just on 4?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-10-2016, 22:01 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Is the interior fan working correctly under speeds 1, 2 and 3?

Or just on 4?

The interior fan blows are on all settings

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 11:49

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
In that gas I'd also go for a regas.

There is a way to fool the system into thinking it has gas by shorting out wires on the tertiary switch on the top of the dryer, just don't ask me how to do this on the ZS.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 19:32

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Re-gas it will be then, hope none of the seals or pipes have gone bad through lack of lubricant.
It is possible that seals may have dried out without the gas/lubricant circulating, but a straightforward re-gas was all that my ZR required (having not worked at all during 2 years of ownership. The engineer who came to check it over did a pressure test prior to purging and recharging the system and there were no apparent leaks at all. He said the system used by Rover is very robust (much better than some supposedly superior manufacturers in his opinion ) and he said he rarely finds anything more than lack of refridgerant needing rectification in them.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 19:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
It is possible that seals may have dried out without the gas/lubricant circulating, but a straightforward re-gas was all that my ZR required (having not worked at all during 2 years of ownership. The engineer who came to check it over did a pressure test prior to purging and recharging the system and there were no apparent leaks at all. He said the system used by Rover is very robust (much better than some supposedly superior manufacturers in his opinion ) and he said he rarely finds anything more than lack of refridgerant needing rectification in them.

Glad yours was sorted, from the sound of it, he compressor on yours wasn't engaging either?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 Thread Starter

Was your compressor also not coming on prior to the re gas?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 13:39

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
.......from the sound of it, he compressor on yours wasn't engaging either?
No it wasn't, there is a safety cut out which prevents the compressor clutch engaging once the system pressure has dropped below a certain point (to prevent the pump and other components being damaged).

The air conditioning compressor is generally very reliable and I have rarely heard of one needing replacement.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 17:32

Car: MG ZS
In my experience the compressor is pretty sturdy and they don't often fail also not being used for a long period didn't affect my rover 827vitesse. I bought the car off my brother inlaw with aircon not working, I had it gassed by mobile guy and it all leaked out. I could see pipe that was leaking. I didn't bother for around 3 years to sort it and don't know how long it wasn't working before I got the car.
When I decided to change pipe a couple of years later I had my brother inlaw to vac it down and re gas system. It did work first time, there was a bit of smoke initially from compressor as clutch plates cleaned themselves up but after a minute system was A one running smoothly and ice cold. I had no issues after that for 8 years just topping up system myself with a Halfords re gas kit.
My ZS also had non function aircon when my son purchased car, he wrote car off that winter ( not much damage , just stupid insurance ) and I got car and repaired changing one front aircon pipe. When car was back on the road I did a climate control conversion from aV6 ZS and decided to have it regassed. Again I don't know how long it had been faulty but after my brother inlaw vac testing and regaling it worked perfectly and still does.
So hopefully yours will do the same, would not worry to much about it. Get the system vac tested before any gas put it, this will tell you if system is holding pressure or has a leak. All being good system can be gassed up and you will be sorted, another thing to say is this time of the year can be a good time to have it done as air con places are usually quite so it can be cheaper ( not as cheap as having brother inlaw do it lol ) but shop around it's worth looking.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 18:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
In my experience the compressor is pretty sturdy and they don't often fail also not being used for a long period didn't affect my rover 827vitesse. I bought the car off my brother inlaw with aircon not working, I had it gassed by mobile guy and it all leaked out. I could see pipe that was leaking. I didn't bother for around 3 years to sort it and don't know how long it wasn't working before I got the car.

When I decided to change pipe a couple of years later I had my brother inlaw to vac it down and re gas system. It did work first time, there was a bit of smoke initially from compressor as clutch plates cleaned themselves up but after a minute system was A one running smoothly and ice cold. I had no issues after that for 8 years just topping up system myself with a Halfords re gas kit.

My ZS also had non function aircon when my son purchased car, he wrote car off that winter ( not much damage , just stupid insurance ) and I got car and repaired changing one front aircon pipe. When car was back on the road I did a climate control conversion from aV6 ZS and decided to have it regassed. Again I don't know how long it had been faulty but after my brother inlaw vac testing and regaling it worked perfectly and still does.

So hopefully yours will do the same, would not worry to much about it. Get the system vac tested before any gas put it, this will tell you if system is holding pressure or has a leak. All being good system can be gassed up and you will be sorted, another thing to say is this time of the year can be a good time to have it done as air con places are usually quite so it can be cheaper ( not as cheap as having brother inlaw do it lol ) but shop around it's worth looking.

Reassuring stories this places looks ok?
http://www.autocraftlarkfield.co.uk/air-con/

Think the vac test is included in the price

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 19:11

Car: MG ZS
That's sounds good for the price and covers everything I mentioned, but do remember to use frequently as mentioned on thier site even in winter. I find car stays demised better when carrying passengers while running aircon in winter but I use my climate control which keeps a set temp but you will see a deffinate benefit when system is up and running.
Hope it's a straight forward job with no leaks or faults for you, Bren
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 19:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
That's sounds good for the price and covers everything I mentioned, but do remember to use frequently as mentioned on thier site even in winter. I find car stays demised better when carrying passengers while running aircon in winter but I use my climate control which keeps a set temp but you will see a deffinate benefit when system is up and running.

Hope it's a straight forward job with no leaks or faults for you, Bren

Great, will give them a call on Monday. Get it in there end of the week. Yeah I find it really useful in winter. Use it on my lease car that is going. Even more useful in the rain this time of year. Or you have to have a window open of some sort. Gets cold!

Bren10 likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 15:19 Thread Starter

So cat has been in. System cleaned twice, re gassed. But still the compressor does not come on

Would I more than likely be looking at a nee compressor?

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 17:50

Car: 2003 ZS180 Mk1
Have you checked fuses/relays? While not a Rover, the a/c on my Mazda stopped working. Had it checked and the gas was low, so it was recharged. The a/c still wouldn't kick in, so the guy suggested several possible (expensive) faults and to have it checked by an autoelectrician.

But before I did that, I thought I'd just check fuses and relays. Main fuse was ok, and I swapped in a relay from the horn (same relay and easily changable). Low and behold...a/c was working. Basically a dead relay. 5 for a good used one, and a/c fully restored. I even had a discount on the regas because that didn't fix the problem.

Anyway, just a thought.