Bonnet Trouble - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-08-2016, 22:47 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
Bonnet Trouble

Hey there, i'm looking for some advice on getting my bonnet open as I haven't been able to do so since my car came back from it's mot 4 months ago. I know I should have got it sorted sooner but I haven't been able to find the time to take it back to the place that did the MOT (Theres a small dent on top of the bonnet now and i'm hoping it's not dislodged the cable).

I believe having looked around for a solution that it's possible to get it open if the latch is busted but I might need to pm someone proof that I aint some dodgy fella trying to get into it and that it's my own motor so if anyone could point me in the right direction there that would be appreciated.

When I pull the latch nothing happens, there are 2 cables and one of them is really tight when I pull the latch and thus working i think and the other one feels really loose, like there's some excess, when pulling the latch the front of the bonnet under the grill doesn't raise at all and as I say there is a fresh dent in the bonnet just behind the grill.

Model is the MG ZS 180, 02 plate (not the facelift model).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-08-2016, 21:27

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I'd still take it back to the MOT station, just don't admit you have known about it for ages.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-08-2016, 17:06
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 Spirit S & Rover 75 1.8 Club Tourer
Small dent could be a spanner or some other tool. It may be holding the bonnet up in a way making the bonnet push hard against the catch.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-08-2016, 18:14

Car: Rover 45
Can you get your arm up behind the radiator and pull the release cable from there? I managed to do that on my montego once, but I don't know if there's enough room in the rover to do it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 24-08-2016, 21:39 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
Can you get your arm up behind the radiator and pull the release cable from there? I managed to do that on my montego once, but I don't know if there's enough room in the rover to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
Had a go there but I have no idea what i'm looking for, going to pour through the haynes now as it's started to run a bit hot so i need to get in and make sure my fluids are all good.

I did notice there is a thick cable that looks a bit like an old bike brake cable running across behind the grille, it's got a bit of damage on it like it's been scraped a fair few times and it's dipped down - not sure if that's the cable or not though.

I also tried getting my fingers under the bonnet at the release catch and I CAN just move that, i figure if i got some pressure on either side of the bonnet at the same time as i'm moving that catch it will release, but if i put even the slightest bit of extra pressure i think i'd lose my fingers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-08-2016, 18:19

The thick bike brake cable is what you want. If you can get to the wire that comes out of the end of it pull that and it should release the bonnet. Can't remember if I got pliers on mine on the montego as it's a good 20years ago or more now.

EDIT---Just had a look at our 45. Make sure the thick bike cable you're looking at isn't the coolant hose.

It's a completely different set up from my old montego so I don't know how to do it off hand.

There's two cables to two different locks one left and one right of centre. They seem to have sealed boxes under the catch so you can't see the wire at all.

The cable is quite well hidden for most of it's run too.

Last edited by Fast Guy; 28-08-2016 at 18:28.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-08-2016, 18:43

Car: Jaguar X-Type
I'll mention this for what it's worth. I had a Rover 400 for 5 years. Like yourself, the bonnet wouldn't open. I pulled the release and nothing happened. I just drove around for an hour and eventually, the bonnet 'popped' open. I lubed the catch and it was fine afterwards. In my case, the spring had become seized and wouldn't allow the bonnet to 'pop'. You might have the same problem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-08-2016, 20:15 Thread Starter

Ended up parking it up the back of the drive and sorning it for the moment as i'm about to be really busy and can't risk not having a car. Bought a cheapish astra to commute with just now and i'm already missing the ZS. Though now I don't have to worry about breaking something and not having transport I'll be able to fiddle about with it and hopefully get it open and some much needed TLC. Still MOT'd till next year so such a waste that it's going to sit on a drive when it runs (almost) perfectly.

When I look at the bonnet head on now i'm noticing on the battery side its (the bonnet) almost touching the car where as on the other side there is a noticeable gap. Don't want to press too hard when wiggling it around though as the metal seems to dent like it's aluminium foil.

Sadly driving it around hasn't released it even with the 90% potholed roads in my area.

I'll give the wires another try tomorrow, the catch under the steering wheel (bonnet release catch) cables I can access pretty easily. The only other wires I can see/find is the one directly behind the grill next to a fan which is slightly worn from what I can see.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-08-2016, 22:07

I'm guessing the battery side is where the problem is then and the other one has released.
Possibly worth pushing the other side back down and see is it closes properly and then getting someone to hold the release catch open while you try and pull the bonnet up. I don't know if you could get enough access to squirt some penetrating oil into the locks. That's assuming something is stuck and the cable hasn't actually snapped in that little box.