Cam Belt Noise - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 18:52 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS Mk II
Cam Belt Noise

A cyclical sound started emanating from my ZS today which is hard to describe but sounds a bit like a clockwork knocking sound, very audible from the cabin, and, bonnet up, seems to be a noisy cam belt. I've had a small power steering leak over the past few weeks that I had hoped I had cured by fitting new jubilee clips, but today in that part of the engine it looked very grimy again. Could the power steering leak effect the running of the cam belt, or could the grime be from a failing cam belt? If the cam belt is failing how long do they usually last for? I'm away for Christmas, so can't check through its service sheets to check when it was last replaced. Of course, the sound could be something else entirely! It did have its MoT earlier in the day (a slight fail!) which I'm sure is unconnected!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 20:46
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Ps is run off a separate belt (the smallest auxiliary). Try disconnecting that and seeing if the noise goes ( but don't drive it around). That will eliminate or condem the ps pump...

gnu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 20:51

Car: Rover 45 2ltr V6 Conoisseur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
A cyclical sound started emanating from my ZS today which is hard to describe but sounds a bit like a clockwork knocking sound, very audible from the cabin, and, bonnet up, seems to be a noisy cam belt. I've had a small power steering leak over the past few weeks that I had hoped I had cured by fitting new jubilee clips, but today in that part of the engine it looked very grimy again. Could the power steering leak effect the running of the cam belt, or could the grime be from a failing cam belt? If the cam belt is failing how long do they usually last for? I'm away for Christmas, so can't check through its service sheets to check when it was last replaced. Of course, the sound could be something else entirely! It did have its MoT earlier in the day (a slight fail!) which I'm sure is unconnected!
If the steering fluid has contaminated the belt it will need changing, You don't say what engine it is, but they need changing at 90,000 or 6yrs whichever come first on the V6. Another cause of rattling in that area is the belt tensioner and the water pump bearings, so that's why they are changed at the same time.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 21:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Ps is run off a separate belt (the smallest auxiliary). Try disconnecting that and seeing if the noise goes ( but don't drive it around). That will eliminate or condem the ps pump...
Excuse my ignorance, but whereabouts is that and how would I disconnect it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 21:05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacko View Post
You don't say what engine it is.
It's the L-series.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 23-12-2014, 21:14
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Murray View Post
It's the L-series.
Ah - I was talking about the k series. The L will be different...

gnu