Can't engage driveshaft with hub splines - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 16:45 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Exclamation Can't engage driveshaft with hub splines

Hi,

I set about changing a torn C.V. boot, drivers side boot at hub, 1.4 K 45 2005.

My approach was release the lower arm balljoint and nothing else.

Now upon reassembly I find that I just can't get the driveshaft splines to engage with those of the hub.

Am I going to have to take the hub off the upper mount and the tie-rod to get it onto the shaft?

There must be some trick to it.

One other thing that worried me. I am using the manual from my old 400, which describes a stop ring and a circlip. Upon dissassembly, there was no stop ring. Is that right for 2005?

(edit: I see from photos in guides on here that the design of the stop ring changed - there used to be a ring that sat on the driveshaft pline inboard of the outer C.V. - but its different in later cars)

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 26-11-2016 at 18:06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 19:34

Car: Rover 25 (05 ), Rover 45 (05)
There was no driveshaft stop ring on our 2005 45.
I only released the lower ball joint.
Has the cv joint gone fully back on the driveshaft?
A cable tie around the circlip has worked well on my 3 cv joint changes, the joint easily going into its correct place as defined by the circlip. Sliding the boot back along the driveshaft may give some clues about correct location..
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 19:42
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Tbh when I've done this before I've ended up disconnecting just about everything to get it back together again! And replacing all the rubber gaiters.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/blogs/gnu...lacement-1529/

gnu

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 23:20

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I had an on going issue with a maestro where the drive shaft kept dropping out, turned out to be that the circlip wasn't engaging properly.

I was able to relocate it by engaging the hole when the steering was on full lock.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 23:29 Thread Starter

I think the C.V. Joint is on fine - it's a red herring because I was looking at an old manual from before the use of the Ford Gearboxes in the 45.

My problem is I can't get the hub onto the end of the shaft, even though it came out easily. It's the same old joint.

Any tips from anyone who had a hard time but managed to get hub onto shaft?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 23:47
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Have I read you right? Is the problem the driveshaft will not enter the CV-Joint or the CV-Joint's splines not sliding into those in the actual hub assembly? Both can be a problem if something is wrong.

Does the spring ring seat nicely in its grooved slot location towards the end of the splines on the driveshaft? How far in does it go before it stops? Only as far as the spring ring? Is the spring ring stopping it sliding fully home?

Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit.

Failure attempts to get the splined shaft end to slide in the CV-J nicely can mean that spring ring gets a little bent making fitting difficult.

On the few occasions I've had trouble like this it was usually that spring ring in the groove stopping smooth refitting.

Let us know how you get on.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-11-2016, 09:02 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Have I read you right? Is the problem the driveshaft will not enter the CV-Joint or the CV-Joint's splines not sliding into those in the actual hub assembly? Both can be a problem if something is wrong.

Does the spring ring seat nicely in its grooved slot location towards the end of the splines on the driveshaft? How far in does it go before it stops? Only as far as the spring ring? Is the spring ring stopping it sliding fully home?

Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit.

Failure attempts to get the splined shaft end to slide in the CV-J nicely can mean that spring ring gets a little bent making fitting difficult.

On the few occasions I've had trouble like this it was usually that spring ring in the groove stopping smooth refitting.

Let us know how you get on.
The problem is getting the Hub onto the end of the driveshaft.

The C.V. joint appeared to go fully home on the driveshaft, circlip looked ok in slot - no issues/resistance fitting joint to shaft.

I've already got the boot on and the boot clips crushed.

When you say "Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit. "...please let me know has this actually happened to you, and if so what was the cause of the misalignment?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-11-2016, 10:05
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post

When you say "Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit. "...please let me know has this actually happened to you, and if so what was the cause of the misalignment?
I remember where somehow one or two splines were damaged on their very ends of the driveshaft. I used a file to clean those up and then with a little carefully applied LM Grease, they went in OK.

That was because in previous ownership, the MG Montego had its CV-Joint Rubber Boots replaced and the shaft refitted WITHOUT the spring clip in its groove! Over time the thing worked loose and pulled out of the CV-Joint when I went over a sharp Zig-Zag Railway Bridge approach necessitating full left and right lock on the steering and on exit and the car lost all drive coasting to a standstill in gear with the dislocated shaft rotating. The shaft's end rotating ineffectively in the CV-J burring over some of the splines' ends. This was about twenty years ago and when the same thing happened on the other side sometime later, I sourced a complete driveshaft from a breaker yard car and fitted that without problems.

The design on that MG Montego's Driveshaft and CV-Joint is exactly the same on later MGs and Rovers.

Of course, the reason you are having difficulty could be due to something entirely different. I repeat, alignment must be precise with very clean components otherwise its almost impossible to insert the CV-J's splines into the hub without further dismantling of parts to ensure precise alignment.

When correctly clean and aligned, no force is necessary ... all in my amateur experience of course.

B>>M>>W ....

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-11-2016, 10:34 Thread Starter

Success!

I went out this morning and it still wouldn't go together. I scraped out between the splines, still no go.

Next I drenched it in WD40, and it slipped straight it with just a wiggle.

So it just wasn't clean/slippy enough.

For a while I thought I done something really stooopid!

Another thing that seems to be working well for me today is Holtz Gun Gum on the exhaust.

Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-11-2016, 10:53
Supporter

I love a happy ending ...

B>>M>>W ....

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-11-2016, 14:36
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good o. Sometimes best to walk away from a job and come back to it later for a new start.

gnu