MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Can't engage driveshaft with hub splines

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gnu 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I set about changing a torn C.V. boot, drivers side boot at hub, 1.4 K 45 2005.

My approach was release the lower arm balljoint and nothing else.

Now upon reassembly I find that I just can't get the driveshaft splines to engage with those of the hub.

Am I going to have to take the hub off the upper mount and the tie-rod to get it onto the shaft?

There must be some trick to it.

One other thing that worried me. I am using the manual from my old 400, which describes a stop ring and a circlip. Upon dissassembly, there was no stop ring. Is that right for 2005?

(edit: I see from photos in guides on here that the design of the stop ring changed - there used to be a ring that sat on the driveshaft pline inboard of the outer C.V. - but its different in later cars)

Any help much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
There was no driveshaft stop ring on our 2005 45.
I only released the lower ball joint.
Has the cv joint gone fully back on the driveshaft?
A cable tie around the circlip has worked well on my 3 cv joint changes, the joint easily going into its correct place as defined by the circlip. Sliding the boot back along the driveshaft may give some clues about correct location..

#5 ·
I think the C.V. Joint is on fine - it's a red herring because I was looking at an old manual from before the use of the Ford Gearboxes in the 45.

My problem is I can't get the hub onto the end of the shaft, even though it came out easily. It's the same old joint.

Any tips from anyone who had a hard time but managed to get hub onto shaft?

#6 ·
Have I read you right? Is the problem the driveshaft will not enter the CV-Joint or the CV-Joint's splines not sliding into those in the actual hub assembly? Both can be a problem if something is wrong.

Does the spring ring seat nicely in its grooved slot location towards the end of the splines on the driveshaft? How far in does it go before it stops? Only as far as the spring ring? Is the spring ring stopping it sliding fully home?

Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit.

Failure attempts to get the splined shaft end to slide in the CV-J nicely can mean that spring ring gets a little bent making fitting difficult.

On the few occasions I've had trouble like this it was usually that spring ring in the groove stopping smooth refitting.

Let us know how you get on.

#7 ·
The problem is getting the Hub onto the end of the driveshaft.

The C.V. joint appeared to go fully home on the driveshaft, circlip looked ok in slot - no issues/resistance fitting joint to shaft.

I've already got the boot on and the boot clips crushed.

When you say "Providing the CV-Joints splines are undamaged and they are aligned with those in the hub correctly, no stress in any direction, then they should slide in smoothly. If it does not, then I suggest alignment is not correct. Even if only very slightly misaligned but misleadingly looking OK, can be impossible to fit. "...please let me know has this actually happened to you, and if so what was the cause of the misalignment?

#9 ·
Success!

I went out this morning and it still wouldn't go together. I scraped out between the splines, still no go.

Next I drenched it in WD40, and it slipped straight it with just a wiggle.

So it just wasn't clean/slippy enough.

For a while I thought I done something really stooopid!

Another thing that seems to be working well for me today is Holtz Gun Gum on the exhaust.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.