Clutch Disaster - Get me home! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 10:29 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Thumbs down Clutch Disaster - Get me home!

So I drove 100 odd miles today and as I reached the car park of my destination my clutch pedal decided not to rise from the floor. There was no warning, everything was fine, and then it wasn't.

Reading up it seems likely that it's my salve cylinder has **** the bed, easy job etc.

Except that I am inside the M25 instead of on the south coast. I do not want to pay an exorbitant amount to be towed home, so I was hoping someone might know of a bodge that will get me home where I can sort it?

Last edited by Roverlike; 22-06-2017 at 12:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 10:59
Ed3

Car: CityRover
I am working on this clutch pedal to the floor at the moment on my Rover 45.

It could be the Master, or slave, or fluid loss or clutch arm jamming.

1) I was told to look at the clutch slave (lie down without jacking the car) and carefully get head and eyes under the front end slightly n/s left of the radiator grill and see if the slave is leaking fluid.

2) At the same time look at the clutch arm. Mine was staying vertical when the pedal was to the floor. So people said the arm was OK and it was the hydraulics not pushing the clutch arm.

3) As the clutch slave was not leaking and the arm vertical I was told it was probably the Master cylinder.

ETV suggested checking fluid level just in case I was lucky and some fluid helped. But it seems my pedal to the floor is the Master cylinder seal looking OK when stripped but worn out.

I changed my slave (easy job) because I had a s/h one and it did not make any improvement.

So I am presently looking at the best way to renew the Master Cylinder seal or Master cylinder

When the pedal went to the floor I had drive and could not easily stop the car so I stopped my Rover 45 by turning off the ignition key.

Last edited by Ed3; 19-06-2017 at 11:08.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 11:53

Car: FunBuggy
Just drive it, but be very careful & leave plenty of space, best if it's quiet

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-06-2017, 22:32

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Remove the cap from the master cylinder and fill it back up with fluid. Keep topping it up to get you home as required. (it may last months like this or it may last minutes - no real way of telling sadly).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 07:32 Thread Starter

There was no fluid loss. Bit the bullet and got a lift. Ouch.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 11:11 Thread Starter

Pretty sure this isn't how it's supposed to look...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 12:09
Ed3

did you remove the circlip in the middle of the shaft in the photo? If you did not remove it then it has popped out and that is one fault.

The problem is usually a worn seal which is to the left and inside the cylinder in your photo.

I am working on the same parts at present. I put all back together and successfully bleed the sealed master and slave units - it was better but still a problem of occasionally the pedal would drop and stay down.

So I have just bought a Master cylinder with the left handed pipe

I have swapped the pipe with my old one. And am now going to see if I can bleed this sealed unit and then try it on the car.

Last edited by Ed3; 20-06-2017 at 14:34.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-06-2017, 13:00 Thread Starter

Nothing removed by me (except the whole assembly) so yeah that was my issue. Replacement was a 62ish Luk unit from ECP.

Back on the road, although the bite point is lower now (which is hard to imagine), expect it's a bit of air and will bleed out in time.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-06-2017, 04:06
Ed3

I am finding the plate on which the clutch master cylinder is mounted can bend and warp and possibly be a part cause in the problem you had.

If the plate slid on and off the clutch master cylinder without difficultly it is probably OK at that point but with mine it warped on first use of the pedal.

I am having to try to get a new plate:-

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-STK100030

Genuine MG Rover STK100030 PLATE ASSEMBLY MASTER CYLINDER CLUTCH shipped from the UK to anywhere
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-06-2017, 12:30 Thread Starter

It was a little stiff, but not to the point I had to clamp it in a vice or whatever. Just nice new tightness I figure.

I've also noticed that with the new MC my clutch pedal doesn't need a bunch of washers to sit right, which is nice.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-06-2017, 13:19
Ed3

Sounds like yours is OK. I have play at the top of the pedal and the pedal needs to hit the floor hard to disengage the clutch. This would seem to be because the mounting plate for the clutch master cylinder has distorted so that that clutch master cylinder is further into the engine bay. The plate is now totally jammed on the clutch master cylinder and I can see daylight when I look inside the car at the top of the pedal and clevis.

The car can be driven but it may get worse so as the mounting plate is not available new I am looking around for a s/h mounting plate .