MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Diesel or Petrol? ZS or Diesel 45 Club on a 53 plate?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  hughf 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I've posted on here before about choosing a car. Still in a dilemma.

A very good friend of mine is a mechanic of many good years standing, infact he's worked in motorsport.

I really can't see myself getting any other car apart from a 45/ZS but what do I do?

A local garage has a mint 03 plate 1.8 ZS+ (44K miles) in a very light baby blue - It gorgeous! I've driven it. It was for sale at £3.9k (when the guy said I could have it for £3.6) It's now been reduced to £3,695 (so hopefully he'll let me have it for £3.2).

Now my mechanic mate says getting parts for petrol (K-Series) ZS/45's are as scarce as rocking horse s hit. He says I should go for a diesel.

I've seen a 2.0 Diesel Club on a 53 plate parking sensors etc (46k miles) up for £3,995 in black. He says the engine on that will see me out.

What do I do? The crux of it is he's steering me away from the K series engine - I do like the ZS though, but the Tax is £40 a year cheaper on the Diesel, insurance about the same.

There's just something special and exclusive about the ZS though

Decisions decisions.

What else should I think about if I were to go for another manufacturer completely? Please I want a Rover!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not compromise if possible and wait a while and keep looking for a diesel ZS? - that way you will get the best of both worlds.

Great handling and fun with the bonus of 45+ average mpg, if you have a heavy foot like me :)

Having driven both the ZS and the 45 in petrol and diesel option, i decided on the compromise as i could not afford to keep the 180 on the road, which i also drove before making my mind up!

Can't really answer in terms of parts for the K, but so far i have not had a trouble getting parts for my L from a scrappy or an X-part dealer... bodywork is slightly different i have heard though...

I would not drive another car manufacturer, either because they are not comfy, or because they are not capable of making me grin when out for a spin. Tho i am probably very baised there ;)
HTH Pete

#3 ·
I didn't think getting parts for the K was difficult considering it's a very common engine, used it various flavours across the entire MGR range and it's present in the Lotus Elise (as I understand).

I'd be surprised if it was actually that hard to get parts for, but maybe someone in the know might give you a better answer.

#4 ·
All K-series engine parts and service kits are very easy to get hold and you need not worry there. As some one has already pointed out it might be better waiting for a diesel ZS to crop up as it's £40 cheaper for road tax, much better on fuel and would put a nice grin on your face as you power past all the boy racers with out even trying.

#5 ·
I've currently a ZS diesel. Had a petrol 1.8 before that. I loved both of them, but if you can hang on for a ZS diesel. I don't think there are parts availability problems on either as both engines have been around for about 10 years and there's still plenty of cars that use them. The L series diesel has a good reputation for being robust but a little noisy especially when cold, but it is quite fast overtaking. Just look for the 113 version. This was an upgrade from the standard output of 101bhp I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.