Difference Rover 45 mk1 and mk2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 19:35 Thread Starter

Car: CityRover
Difference Rover 45 mk1 and mk2

I'm about to buy a Rover 45 and doubting between 2 cars.

One has covered only about 75000 miles and is a 2004 mki. The other is a MK2 from 2004 also but has covered around 100.000 miles and has climate control, pdc etc. I believe the mk1 is a classic edition and the mk2 a club edition

Would love to hear the differences between the mki and mkii and which is the one to buy? I know the light, bumpers etc are different and the mkii could have climate control but I wonder if there are anymore differences?
For example is the mkii better rust protected or are they they same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 20:32
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
A late mk1 is the worst of the line in terms of spec and build. By 2004, MGR had carried out lots of cost cutting changes to the 45, reducing the cars' quality considerably compared to early versions. Some of this was remedied with the mk2 but not by much.

The advantage of the mk2 is the modernised styling and far nicer interior. The main disadvantage is that the mk2 has revised electrics which, while offering more features, were less reliable. The suspension, steering, brakes, engines and seats were carried out with minimal changes.

Rust is more likely on these later cars due to the removal of various liners in the wheelarches but overall the 45 isn't as susceptible to rust as you may think. The main problem areas are around the floorplan at the base of the bulkhead where the subframe mounts, sills and wheelarches intersect. Rear arches can go too but this is less of an issue.

I personally would go for a mk2 over a late mk1 but it's important to take each car as you find it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 20:34

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Best for rust protection is an early mk1.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 21:54
Ed3

Would any one know if my 52 plate Rover 45 2.0td spirit was put on the road January 2003 what mark is that? Early MK1? Mid MK1? Late Mk1?

Regards rust I have had a little MOT welding done on the n/s front towing eye chassis and am slapping lots of waxoyl where the bulkhead meets the floor. There is a tiny spot of rust on the front of the n/s side front wheel arch which I painted with hammerite and touch up paint. The rear stabiliser bar n/s bracket looks unpleasantly rusty but much of the underneath is an unusually clean.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 22:13
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Would any one know if my 52 plate Rover 45 2.0td spirit was put on the road January 2003 what mark is that? Early MK1? Mid MK1? Late Mk1?
I'd say your car would class as a mid mk1 so will have some of the cost cuttings applied but not the full suite. Does it have the shiny or matt wood dash finish? The 2003MY models (the late mk1s) are identified by their matt wood, flatter seats and two tone interiors.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:00
Ed3

It is confusing. my rover 45 dash is the dull plastic and dull plastic wood that I thought followed on from the Rover 400. The door cards and seats are all one colour black/charcoal with light fawn/beige carpets. The seat are flatter than some MG/Rovers but not as flat as other cars we have had.

I find frustrating that the rear seat has a good feature of the split back to fold down flat. But the base of the seat does not match as it is one piece. So the back cannot actually split and then fold down as the one piece base gets in the way. I suppose that is a mark of cost cutting.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 11:19

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Project Drive began deleting/cheapening trim and equipment in 2000/2001, and most of the deletions would have already taken place by the time of the introduction of the 2003 model year revisions (which would have been for cars manufactured from around October 2002 onwards). Whether it has the full gamut of deletions/cost saving will depend when it was built rather than registration date (ie. how long it had been in storage or in the dealers showroom before being sold/registered).

Quote:
I find frustrating that the rear seat has a good feature of the split back to fold down flat. But the base of the seat does not match as it is one piece. So the back cannot actually split and then fold down as the one piece base gets in the way. I suppose that is a mark of cost cutting.
Not really - the rear seats were designed for only the back to fold down on top of the base cushion. They were never designed to fold flat (if you needed a completely flat loadspace, Rover assumed you would buy a van ) This was the same in the R8 200, HHR 400, 200/25 and Metro/100. It is how Austin Rover/Rover Group always did it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:08
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
It is confusing. my rover 45 dash is the dull plastic and dull plastic wood that I thought followed on from the Rover 400. The door cards and seats are all one colour black/charcoal with light fawn/beige carpets. The seat are flatter than some MG/Rovers but not as flat as other cars we have had.
Your car sounds like a 2003MY car and therefore what I'd class as a late mk1. The two-tone interior on these later cars was intended to mirror the same option on the 75 but was poorly applied on some models (dark seats but with light carpets like on your car). With light seat fabrics and door inserts it's far more cohesive.

You should also have the cream coloured dials rather than the black dials of the earlier cars.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:13
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Not really - the rear seats were designed for only the back to fold down on top of the base cushion. They were never designed to fold flat (if you needed a completely flat loadspace, Rover assumed you would buy a van ) This was the same in the R8 200, HHR 400, 200/25 and Metro/100. It is how Austin Rover/Rover Group always did it.
If the seat base is lifted and both seat backs folded forward then the hatch's loadspace is pretty flat, making the car a surprisingly good loadlugger.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 13:08
Ed3

I often lift the back seat base and drop the back of the seat fully flat and my Rover 45 is then like a van. Same on most cars.

But on many cars with a split back seat, the base is also split so you can drop the rear seat flat and also have one passenger in the back. It is like that on Renault, Vauxhall and many other makes. I used to like the fully split rear seat on the 1989 to 95 Cavalier and Vectra
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 15:26
Supporter

Garages
Quote:
But on many cars with a split back seat, the base is also split so you can drop the rear seat flat and also have one passenger in the back.
Our old '04 Megane had that same feature and it was useful. In fact the base cushions could be removed altogether for even more space. It was a remarkably practical car for one so relatively compact and stylish.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:32
Ed3

Yes those Renault's are great. I was amazed. I pulled out the rear seat base and fold down the rear seat back and then there is an extra option that the front passenger seat will also recline backwards and nearly flat. So it is like a van with one seat.

Doing a favour for someone moving, I managed to get a small six feet 3 seat sofa in a Clio. Used a bungee on the half open hatch and drove through quieter roads and side streets as much as possible.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 20:40

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
This was the same in the R8 200, HHR 400, 200/25 and Metro/100. It is how Austin Rover/Rover Group always did it.
I had a mk II metro and the rear seats were fully split so you could have 1/3 or 2/3 split flat loading bay. On the Metro there was a double hinge arrangement so that the seat back folded onto the squab and the squab then hinged forward so the whole section folded up against the front seat. My Montego Estate I cannot remember but the back was split My R8 218 SLD seat squab definitely was not split, 25 the squab is fixed and so you get 1/3 or 2/3 reasonably flat when you fold the seat back down, my 45 as R8.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 22:00

Car: MG ZS
My old mk1 vitesse 2.7v6 take some beating for load space, it was huge with seats up but with them down the load space was massive. Even with my music in there was plenty of room lol

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 08:32

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Brain View Post
On the Metro there was a double hinge arrangement so that the seat back folded onto the squab and the squab then hinged forward so the whole section folded up against the front seat.
You're right - I should have remembered that having had 2 MG Metros in succession from 1983 to 1997 I did find that the rear seats when folded up against the front seats were rather restrictive for longer loads, and usually only folded the seat back down onto the base cushion.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 19:12

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
You're right - I should have remembered that having had 2 MG Metros in succession from 1983 to 1997 I did find that the rear seats when folded up against the front seats were rather restrictive for longer loads, and usually only folded the seat back down onto the base cushion.
It is a rare event, but sometimes what I say is correct!!!