Digital clock - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 30-10-2016, 23:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
As mentioned above bin the pektron clock and replace it with a Lucas clock, in my experience the Lucas has a much lower fail rate. We had two ZS and one rover 25 in the family I replaced the standard pektron on both ZS cars which had failed with a traffic master model. Both these soon failed so I repaired them and one work for a short period the a couple of months so I binned them and replaced with pektron clocks out of late low milage 45,s these then both failed. Next step was to replace both ZS and 25 clocks with Lucas clock from either early 45 or a rover 400 and never had any issues since. I find the pektron clocks temperamental in hot or very cold conditions which doesn't seem to affect my Lucas clock. I used to do a lot of work on motherboards chipping and repairing PS2 and Xbox consoles so know my way around and to me the Lucas just looks a better quality build but that's my personal opinion. The other thing about Lucas clock is I prefer the display to the pektron unit.

Would be a look around ebay for a lucas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 00:17

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.mas87 View Post
Would be a look around ebay for a lucas?
You can find them on ebay, or in scrapyards - you have as good a chance of getting one that is faulty (or will become faulty eventually as you will with a Pektron one).

Some people seem to be unable to get a grip on the fact that failure of the ribbon contacts isn't the exclusive preserve of Rover clocks assembled by Pektron - ALL LCD screens tend to suffer failure eventually.

I used to believe the rubbish spouted about the Lucas ones being better - but I had a Rover 216 with a faulty (Lucas) clock - tried 3 (Lucas) replacements from various breakers before I found one that worked. I then found out how to repair them, and haven't needed to replace one in either of my ZRs (both Pektron) - repair has been sufficient. The usual Pektron haters will tell you that they have tried repairing and it didn't work. I will guarantee they didn't get the conductive putty warm enough.

I've also had a Rover 620 with a similarly faulty (Lucas) clock.

Your money, your choice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find a Lucas clock as opposed a Pektron one.

I nearly dare bet that the components were sourced from the same manufacturer for both units in any case
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 08:37 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
You can find them on ebay, or in scrapyards - you have as good a chance of getting one that is faulty (or will become faulty eventually as you will with a Pektron one).

Some people seem to be unable to get a grip on the fact that failure of the ribbon contacts isn't the exclusive preserve of Rover clocks assembled by Pektron - ALL LCD screens tend to suffer failure eventually.

I used to believe the rubbish spouted about the Lucas ones being better - but I had a Rover 216 with a faulty (Lucas) clock - tried 3 (Lucas) replacements from various breakers before I found one that worked. I then found out how to repair them, and haven't needed to replace one in either of my ZRs (both Pektron) - repair has been sufficient. The usual Pektron haters will tell you that they have tried repairing and it didn't work. I will guarantee they didn't get the conductive putty warm enough.

I've also had a Rover 620 with a similarly faulty (Lucas) clock.

Your money, your choice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find a Lucas clock as opposed a Pektron one.

I nearly dare bet that the components were sourced from the same manufacturer for both units in any case

Worth just trying the repair then. A normal hair dryer would provide sufficient heat?

And to be honest, I don't even know what make mine is anyway (not that it matters from your experiences) suppose the only way to tell is take it out and see?

The digit missing is visible if you look very hard. But no where near as bright as the other two.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 09:06
rqt

Car: Rover 45
A 2004 car would have been factory fitted with a Pektron clock - although it may have been replaced later. The Pektron clocks have the display very close to the front of the clock whereas the Lucas ones have a deeply recessed (maybe 20mm) display - so you can easily see which you have.

All my Pektron clocks have failed (only 2 so not much of a sample).

I've never seen a failed Lucas clock - although I have no doubt that some have failed.

I replaced my failed Pektron clocks with ancient used Lucas ones from a scrapyard as few years ago. All the Lucas clocks I recovered that day (4) worked perfectly. The Lucas clocks are still working fine.
Bren10 likes this.

Last edited by rqt; 31-10-2016 at 09:21.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 20:26

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
In my experience (30 years) the Lucas clocks are far more robust than the Pektron ones.......
Quote:
Across 2 metros, 6 Rover 100s, 6 Maestros (inc. one with a digi dash), a Range Rover, 2 Montegos, a ZR and 2 ZS's I have only had serious issues with the Traffic Master clock and the clock in my mk2 ZS which were both Pektron but as I say, in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post

And some people seem unable to get a grip on the fact

THAT IN MY EXPERIENCE

means just that, however several other posters in this thread have a similar experience so maybe it isn't just me.

Please respect that yours isn't the only opinion.
Bren10 likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 20:56

Car: MG ZS
Not really worth it in my experience as they always fail again which means you have to go through all the work to remove the clock again, as for Lucas clock identification they are clearly marked Lucas on the rear ( see pic below ) plus the colour of display looks nicer to me but that's personal choice.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 21:39

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Please respect that yours isn't the only opinion.
I don't have a problem with a differing opinion at all, just with people who can't take on board that other people have different experiences from them, and try to make out my real life experience of something is wrong because it doesn't tally with theirs.

The fact is that back in the early 200s this and other MG and Rover related forums were already littered with posts from people who were suffering failed sectors in their car clocks - 200s, 400s, 600s; all models from before the clocks were supplied by Pektron Similarly with the insistance that "they always fail again" - it is the nature of the putty used to connect the ribbon cable that it will dry and shrink again, but if it does so after a short time, it probably wasn't heated up sufficiently to start with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.mas87
A normal hair dryer would provide sufficient heat?
Some may be hot enough to do the job, but I prefer a heat gun which can provide more than enough.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 23:18

But nobody said you were wrong in your experience, just that theirs were different.

Strangely enough Pektron were making devices found in the 1980's model ranges, again I seem to recall them being less reliable than the similar Lucas devices.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 31-10-2016, 23:25

And don't forget the earlier Lucas remote locking/alarm systems reliability when compared to the later Pektron alternative.
Bren10 likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:16

Car: MG ZS
Whilst it's out, you might as well replace the backlight for an LED one.

Some T5 286 wedge LED bulbs will do the trick.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
And don't forget the earlier Lucas remote locking/alarm systems reliability when compared to the later Pektron alternative.

Is the Lucas alarm system better? My key fob says "Lucas"

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 20:52

I haven't heard of a 5AS fail but have heard of a Pektron BCU fail.
Bren10 likes this.