Door card re-trim - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-01-2017, 16:25 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Door card re-trim

Hi there,

My venerable 45 Club is now entering its 17th year (yikes!) and has finally succumbed to the common problem of the door card fabric pulling away from the backing on all four doors. It's a shame as the rest of the interior is spot on, especially the seats which look like they come from a car a fraction of the age!

My missus is a dab hand at upholstery (she renovates household furniture in her spare time) so I'm thinking of letting her have a crack at them. Was thinking about simply buying some automotive-quality fabric that's a near match (not to worried about an exact match) and some fabric spray adhesive.

Anybody tried this? If so, have you got any tips?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-01-2017, 17:51
Banned

Car: MG ZR
use curtains and coach bolts.

Why not just replace the door cards? Bits are almost for nothing and wont make your car unsellable.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 24-01-2017, 18:52

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Woolies Trim is a good source of supplies.

Re-trimming door cars is quite common, it's worth searching you tube for how tos.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 25-01-2017, 01:26

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Yours may be different, but under the fabric, the plastic should be patterned.

Someone here (I forget who) simply stripped off the old fabric and adhesive, leaving a perfectly acceptable finish - better in my opinion than some of the more elaborate efforts.

Of course, photos don't always tell the whole story, but it's something to consider.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 16-06-2017, 14:35

Car: Zr 120 5 door, ZS 180 saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhturner View Post
Yours may be different, but under the fabric, the plastic should be patterned.

Someone here (I forget who) simply stripped off the old fabric and adhesive, leaving a perfectly acceptable finish - better in my opinion than some of the more elaborate efforts.

Of course, photos don't always tell the whole story, but it's something to consider.
Hey jdhturner
Do you remember what the stripped down cards looked like? You can see how far I've got mine so far. Did they look anything like mine? I'm not sure how i'm going to get the big blue serial number printed along the bottom half yet, I've tried sugar soad and then hot soapy water and its not shifted it yet.

Last edited by Davemgfzr; 16-06-2017 at 15:25.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 22:01

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roystonvasey69 View Post
Hi there,

My venerable 45 Club is now entering its 17th year (yikes!) and has finally succumbed to the common problem of the door card fabric pulling away from the backing on all four doors. It's a shame as the rest of the interior is spot on, especially the seats which look like they come from a car a fraction of the age!

My missus is a dab hand at upholstery (she renovates household furniture in her spare time) so I'm thinking of letting her have a crack at them. Was thinking about simply buying some automotive-quality fabric that's a near match (not to worried about an exact match) and some fabric spray adhesive.

Anybody tried this? If so, have you got any tips?

Thanks!
Don't bother with spray adhesive unless you want to be disappointed, I retried mine a few years back in dark grey alcantara and they looked mint. But within months they were coming off.
As for getting second hand door cards not much point as the newest will be 12 years old now and they all go the same way in the end.
Only way out is pro retrim and question is with age of our cars now is it worth it. Mine aren't to bad but I have a late facelift but won't be long before they go saggy lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-06-2017, 10:49

Car: maestro/citroen van
if you use spray glue make sure you use the glue that is suitable for high tempreture.the one I used on my head lineing was
fast-fix hi temp.you will see it on e-bay