• 1 Post By E_T_V
  • 1 Post By rqt
  • 1 Post By jdhturner

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 19:32 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
Engine oil leak

Hello,

Last week, I renew engine oil and found that I have a leak close to the oil filter.
This leak is here for few year now and never lead to massive leakage but I would like to fix it.
I am wondering if this is coming from oil pump tube or from cam shaft seal or somewhere underneath timing belt.

Here you have some picture.
Any help is more than welcome.

Stéphane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 19:42

Car: mgtf 135 trophy, Rover 800 Coupe 2.0 Turbo, Rover 800 MK1 Vitesse, Rover 620 Ti
more than likely to be coming from camshaft seal and running down side of engine or behind cam covers as your photo shows oil on the coolant pipe going away from the sump. A good wash off with some brake cleaner or degreaser and look to see if you can spot from below with engine running.

Think your on the right lines though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 20:00 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
Yes indeed.
My mechanic renew the timing last month. This is so bad... Hopefully the leak is extremelly low.
Thanks for the reply
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 22:23

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Id guess that is is from the oil cooler pipe union visible below the belt in the second picture. If the leak is small and doesn't drop on the floor then i'd leave it well alone.
Chris.mas87 likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-11-2016, 15:56
rqt

Car: Rover 45
I've got to agree with E_T_V on this one - in my experience a slight weep there is a common "problem" that does not need "fixing" - mine's been weeping there for 11 years / 180,00 miles that I know of without getting worse or causing a problem.

(I can't see any coolant pipes with oil contamination in your pictures, just oily oil pipes - which are prone to corrosion if unprotected so your slight oil weep is actually doing you a favour)
E_T_V likes this.

Last edited by rqt; 14-11-2016 at 16:05.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-11-2016, 12:15

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
My engine also weeps oil, but I tend to think that if it doesn't need topping up between oil changes there's no point worrying about it.

In other words, if the oil level falls no more than from max to min over about 10,000 miles - just keep an eye on it. Attempting to fix any such problem is likely to be far more trouble than it's worth. Indeed, I'm sure many cars leak more than this without causing their owners to panic!
E_T_V likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 19-11-2016, 13:46
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhturner View Post
... Indeed, I'm sure many cars leak more than this without causing their owners to panic!
Yes, because they never even bother to open the bonnet and look!

gnu
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 21:43

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
Id guess that is is from the oil cooler pipe union visible below the belt in the second picture. If the leak is small and doesn't drop on the floor then i'd leave it well alone.
Totally agree, this looks to be an L series, all of my 3 L series have leaks far worse than your pictures show an none of them use a significant amount of oil. Anyway, it helps to stop the pipes rotting. Leave well alone.